I want to see you in Vinyl: An Offer of Free Stuff!!!!!
Jul 11, 2003 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
I'm really excited to see so many of you guys getting back in to analog rigs.Some of the PMs and emails I have recieved over the past few weeks asking for advice and such are really encouraging and I love sharing my experiences and knowledge with all of you.Vinyl is my medium of choice and I buy so many records I have actually lost count of how many I own.I bought two large collections recently and I have decided to share them with you guys.I really would like to see more head-fi members take the plunge and get a Vinyl rig.I was so happy to see ChenaynayC,Gopher and a few others get back into vinyl that I thought it would be a great idea to encourage head-fi members to do the same.

My offer is this:I'll give five free records(33rpm LPs Only),including shipping to anywhere the postal "media mail" rate applies, to the first ten vinyl newbies who post a five item want-list to this thread.You can only ask for five records but you can ask for any genre and any title you can think of.If I don't have all the titles you ask for(unlikely),I'll still send a total of five records,substituting records with titles of my choice within the requested catagory.I don't care if the requested record is a rare item or some obscure, valuable relic,If I have it,it's yours.Request five records and state a catagory from which subs can be picked.Don't post a ten item list,Request five records only!The only catch is that you have to post your vinyl rig and update your profile.

Anyone who has ever recieved records from me( a bunch of folks here) will tell you that I don't send junk.Every record you get from me will be cleaned and placed in high-quality inner and outer sleeves.I'll do my best to send only records in very good or mint condition but I'll let you know if a title is only available in less-than-great condition.This offer is real and there are no other conditions.I have far,far too many records(I never thought I would say that) and I don't mind sharing them.If all goes well,maybe I'll do this again when I move later this year.

Post your want-lists and I'll get the records out to you in a few weeks.My collection is very large(now over 40,000 records with 32,00 titles,I think) and it takes a few days to find titles.I would like to have the fifty titles by later this weekend so that I can do this all at once and have to time to clean the records.

edit:

I'll contact you after I get the records together for your shipping info.If I already promised you records before this post,you don't have to post them again here.

Jul 11, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 40
Heh, good timing man
wink.gif

Not sure if you'll let me play, but if you do, here's my list:

Clouds taste metallic - the flaming lips
Turn on the bright lights - interpol
OK computer - radiohead
The Madcap Laughs - Syd barret
Emperor Tomato Ketchup - stereolab

BTW, you rule tuberoller
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: One quick subtle edit, i want radiohead!
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 7:05 AM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
Heh, good timing man
wink.gif

Not sure if you'll let me play, but if you do, here's my list:

Clouds taste metallic - the flaming lips
Turn on the bright lights - interpol
OK computer - radiohead
The Madcap Laughs - Syd barret
Emperor Tomato Ketchup - stereolab

BTW, you rule tuberoller
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: One quick subtle edit, i want radiohead!
wink.gif

Are you sure all this stuff is available on vinyl dude????????? I'll look for it.What genre would you like subs from?

Jul 11, 2003 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 40
Allmusic says that every one of them has a vinyl release. But, for subs, Maybe some early pink floyd stuff, some marley and rush would be good, anything that's more common
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 40
Sigh...I can't narrow it down to single albums

1. Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon
2. Marley - Exodus
3. Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue (Sexy CD...how sexy is the LP???)
4. The Doors - The Doors (Have the CD, wonder how the LP sounds?
redface.gif
)
5. Van Morrison - Blowin Your Mind

I don't even know if these exist, but I found that my parents have an old LP player in the storage closet that I can use to play this stuff.
cool.gif
Thank you, and I am VERY new to this. I hardly know anything about records, but am willing to spend some money to get into it if I have to.

*edit*
And if the specific one can't be found, just get someone by the same artist or same genre as the artist chosen. THANK YOU again.

*edit no. 2*
I just noticed someone put down Miles Davis. I totally forgot about him. ::updates with Miles Davis::

Jul 11, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 40
That Was the Year That Was - Tom Lehrer
St. George and the Dragonet - Stan Freberg
EDIT: Forget Maiden, how about: Any Glenn Miller Album
The Chieftains 1, 2, 3, or 4 - The Chieftains
Any recording of the Marriage of Figaro

Hee hee - I'm going to have to break out my dad's Sota Star for this now.

EDIT: Alternatives would be any swing or big band music.

Jul 11, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 40
ATTENTION Vinyl Newbies! Take this guy up on his offer! He's just crazy enough to be serious!

I may not be newbie enought (OK, I never quite using my TT), but here is a wish list anyway:

*RCA LSC 2795 Canteloube: "Songs of the Auvergne", Rachmaninov: "Vocalise", performed by Anna Moffo with Stokowski and (I think) the New American Orchestra

*Anything by Allison Krauss + Union Station

*Anything by Sam Cooke with "You Send Me" or "Don't Know Much"

*Buddy Holly: Legend (a remasterd mix done in the '80s by Steve Hoffman)

*Phil Keaggy: "Getting Closer"

That's the first five that came to mind. So are you vying for the title of "Patron St. of Vinyl"?

Jul 11, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 40
Damnn Tuberoller! How much cooler/more generous can one man get?!

1. Jimi Hendrix Blues
2. Pink Floyd Animals
3. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
4. Arlo Gurthie - (whichever albumn has Alice's Resteraunt Massacre)
5. Suprise me with something!

Jul 11, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 40
wow impressive. You don't come across many offers like this

1. Beck: Western Harvest Field by Moonlight
2. Jazz Harp player from the early 50s can't remember her name
3. Any Linel Belasco
4. Ken Nordine: Colors
5. I think Fred has the right idea. Surprise me!

Jul 11, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 40
Whoa! Does this offer extend to members who are primarily lurkers? You are extremely generous, Tuberoller!

If you don't have your 10 people yet, I'm interested in the following:

1. A Herbie Mann album (or any jazz flute player)

2. Sun Ra- Jazz in Silhouette (or any Sun Ra album)

3. Any album featuring Lester Young

4. Thelonious Monk-Monk's Music (my favorite album cover ever)
or any bop/hard bop jazz album by any artist

5. Something featuring Astrud Gilberto (or any bossa nova
album by any artist).

Jul 12, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 40
Woah, incredible. I just bought a second-hand turntable two weeks ago from my buddy's dad, but I don't have any vinyl to spin. Tuberoller to the rescue!

Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Coldplay - Parachutes
Radiohead - The Bends
Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets

For substitutions, and female vocal, jazzy stuff would be great.
k1000smile.gif

I'm so excited, I've got a TT here, and a killer phono stage on my NAD 3020B, but no vinyl to spin!
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 40
Fred, this has got to be the nicest offer I have ever seen on Head-Fi. I only have several LPs and have been trying to build a larger collection of LPs. I've been looking for the following LPs:

1. Jazz at the Pawshop - (Arne Domnerus - 1976)
2. Jacintha - Here's to Ben: A Vocal Tribue to Ben Webster
3. John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
4. Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
5. Eden Atwood: Waves - The Bossa Nova Session

Any music in the Cuban jazz genre would also be greatly enjoyed. Thanks.

Jul 12, 2003 at 5:12 AM Post #13 of 40
Ah! you guys picked a lot of current-issue stuff,but I'll see what I can do.If not,the subs will be a lot of fun.

We need one more want-list.I also would love to have you guys post your rigs.List any changes to your set-up you are looking to make as well.

Jul 12, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #14 of 40
The one and only turntable I have ever bought was sold in "88". Maybe I could become "reborn again". Beings that I have had very little experience with this medium for a very long time I will also have a ton of questions.

Jackson Browne
John Mellencamp
Michael Jackson
ZZ-Top
Prince & The Revolution

edit:
Anything by Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, Beach Boys, or Aerosmith are pretty cool to.

Anything by, or like these artists would be fine. Although, if there really is someone else that would like the #10 spot I will bow down, and let you take my place.
wink.gif
Especially given that I am not a total vinyl newbie.

Jul 12, 2003 at 6:03 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
The one and only turntable I have ever bought was sold in "88". Maybe I could become "reborn again". Beings that I have had very little experience with this medium for a very long time I will also have a ton of questions also.

Jackson Browne
John Mellencamp
Michael Jackson
ZZ-Top
Prince & The Revolution

edit:
Anything by Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, Beach Boys, or Aerosmith are pretty cool to.

Anything by, or like these artists would be fine. Although, if there really is someone else that would like the #10 spot I will bow down, and let you take my place.
wink.gif
Especially given that I am not a total vinyl newbie.

That's the plan Brother,I hope by sending the records I can encourage you to get a vinyl rig and start spinning again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back