i want to run from this place.. after 1 question
Mar 1, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #16 of 42
I'd say buy a cheap one first (SR60), and see where you want to go from there. You might not even like the SR60's, which may mean you are not a Grado person.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
Why don't you just buy the PX100?
I listen to it everyday, and thinking to myself, this sounds good.
The ergonomics and convenience is superb, and it works with all kinds of music.
Is there any reason why anyone can't enjoy music on these quality headphones?

At home I use my K1000 (now $1000) with single-ended tube amp, supplemented by my K501 (then $200) and SR225 ($200), driven by two different solid state amps. I listen to these hi-end cans everyday. But at work I still enjoy PX100 out of my laptop or a Tivoli radio. If audio quality is not your obsession, PX100 should suit you well. I have also given away KSC75 and SR60 as gifts, because I know they are good, too. But PX100's design is hard to beat.

I agree. They are really very hard to beat: lightweight, good sounding, cheap. Sound quality is very good.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #18 of 42
Why buy the top of the line RS1, then you don't have to think about updrade or anything
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #19 of 42
Here's why you shouldn't start with a top-of-the-line model: you simply don't yet know either your preferences or the range of possibilities, and you therefore wouldn't fully appreciate high-end headphones.

Instead here are three less expensive options: HD-580 (around $120), K501 ($130), MS-1 ($100) (or SR60 for $70). If you like the Grado's, say, then you can upgrade gradually -- enjoying each improvement. And likewise for the other two.

For example, I'm not interested in upgrading my MS-1s, because I've learned that I like their signature only for certain applications (too much bass! too uncomfortable!). On the other hand, I've already upgraded to the K601s, after using K501s for a few years.

The point is that I had to learn what I wanted by trying some of the less expensive models.

Mar 1, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #20 of 42
If this is for public listening, be warned, grados of alessandros don't isolate any sound, and they leak so much sound that it sounds like they have a little speaker facing outwords on them.

Mar 1, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by strether
Here's why you shouldn't start with a top-of-the-line model: you simply don't yet know either your preferences or the range of possibilities, and you therefore wouldn't fully appreciate high-end headphones.

Instead here are three less expensive options: HD-580 (around $120), K501 ($130), MS-1 ($100) (or SR60 for $70). If you like the Grado's, say, then you can upgrade gradually -- enjoying each improvement. And likewise for the other two.

For example, I'm not interested in upgrading my MS-1s, because I've learned that I like their signature only for certain applications (too much bass! too uncomfortable!). On the other hand, I've already upgraded to the K601s, after using K501s for a few years.

The point is that I had to learn what I wanted by trying some of the less expensive models.

I totally agree with that... if someone gave you a $500k hi-fi system w/o ever listening to anything before, you would not appreciate it because that's the only type of sound you know...

it's about starting cheap and going up a bit at a time to understand the differences between different grades of equipment... then at some point you'll realize that you'll be spending a few grand to get a 1% improvement in sound...

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #22 of 42
I've been a music lover for 10+ years and I bought my first GOOD headphone, HD595, four months ago. After the purchase I've read through TONS of posts on this board and even tried my friends HD650 ( which he bought after hearing my HD595
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Now I still think my HD595 is excellent and I am still VERY happy with it
580smile.gif
Perhaps you should give it a try...

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #23 of 42
haha yes. i've done A LOT (maybe too much?) research on everything i could find on this forum and upgradeitis is what i get
icon10.gif

and yes, i listen to maybe 80% rock 15% techno/dance/trance and 5% rap/hiphop

and but if i just buy a cheaper one, and i love it. i'll probably upgrade, wasting more money than if i just take a big jump in the beginning (and preferably not upgrading again)

thanks for trying to hlep me cure my upgraditis but.. it won't let go of me!! i think in the end, i'll get either the ms1/sr225 but i'm still having trouble which one to get.

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #25 of 42
The fact that youre questioning it in this fashion leads me to think you have that seed of doubt already planted. Once its planted it'll never die, untill you hit a financial limit. So, I say just go for the RS1. The next question of course is well... what about the PS1?... and what about a headphile recable?... it goes on and on.

IMHO the Grado sweet spots are the MS1 $100, HF1 $300 and RS1. You could probably add the MS2 $300 if you want a flatter, less colored sound.

Garrett

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by strether

Beware that the HD-580s demand dedicated amplification (additional investment). Get the HD-595 if you go the Sennheiser route without buying an amplifier.

It is also true that the amplified HD-580s do sound very much like a top of line (dinamic) model. I've listened to the HD-650s before and I've got no upgraditis with the HD 580s, with which I am fully satisfied.

Note: I've never auditioned electrostatics.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesp
Why buy the top of the line RS1, then you don't have to think about updrade or anything
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nope... then you'll just want an HP1, or a PS1.

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #29 of 42
I'd agree with most here that Grados are likely what you are looking for, I listen to a similar mix of music for you and really enjoy the sonic signature of the Grado line for the most part. I'd personally skip past the SR-60, I didn't think it was really that great and for a reasonable bump in cost you can go up a few rungs in the Grado ladder. I'd look long and hard at the MS-1 or SR225, if at all possible get them somewhere with a good return policy and see what you think. Otherwise I'd probably opt to keep the initial investment low (SR80) and save for a big upgrade down the road to a SR325i, MS2i, RS, etc.

I'm like you - I don't like to keep upgrading, I'd rather just start off with what I'm going to want if I can figure out how to budget for it. I just bought the SR325i because of all the Grados I tried at a recent meet they had the sonics I preferred the most barring the PS-1 which are around 4x more costly. So yes, there is a possible upgrade for me in the future but it is a pretty large step up finacially so it isn't going to happen any time soon. Hence, the purchase of the 325i. I knew if I bought a lower model I'd just end up buying the 325i in a few months so I skipped ahead
wink.gif

Take a look, I've seen one or two sets of the 325i for $200 - for that money IMO they would be well worth you considering blowing your budget to kingdom come
biggrin.gif

Another nice factor is that the Grados really don't require an amp, like all cans they will see some benefit but it isn't critical like on the Beyer DT series for example. So that also helped me justify the expense of the 325s as the overall cost was lower than alternatives I had been considering that require an amp.

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by aCommunistSpy
anyone wanna try to convince me back to the $100 range (so i can eat lunch again) or $50 (so i can eat dinner)?

Sure!

Look, you can get very nice sound from either a KSC-75 (or KSC-35) or a PX100, and either one is still very handy to have after you've purchased something higher-end.

The next three steps up that you mentioned are all Grado designs. They are, IMO, a lot less comfortable for long-term listening than the PX100, and a lot less portable for on-the-go use than either the PX100 or the KSC-75.

If you went ahead and bought an SR-225, MS-1 or SR-60, you'd probably still feel the need from time to time for something smaller/more portable/more comfy. So why not start out cheap? These other, weightier headphone decisions are something you can grow into once you have a baseline of listening experience with a KSC-75 or PX100.

I have both the PX100 and the KSC-35 ($30 sibling to the KSC-75; all-black, a little lighter weight, comes with carry bag, similar-to-identical sounding). For vocals I like the PX100 a bit better, and for instruments I like the KSC a bit better. I find the PX100 a lot more comfortable, so tend to prefer it overall. But for sound per dollar, the KSC is the one to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back