I want to report a dishonest seller. How do I do this?
Mar 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

zeitfliesst

100+ Head-Fier
OK, recently I bought an SM3 from a guy who I'm not sure I can name publicly. To make a long story short, I asked him when he bought it. He said late 2011. I asked him for receipt. I received SM3, it was stenched in cigarette smoke (still am not able to get it out), and there was a crack on the right unit along with countless scratches here and there. There was no receipt. I sent him multiple messages asking for receipt. He ignores all of them.

I've contacted head-fi using the "contact us" form, sent a message to Jude, no response. Do I just have to suck it up? I'm pretty pissed to be honest, but it seems there is nothing I can do except leave him negative feedback (which I did). I want him to be banned, since I wouldn't want anyone else having the same sh**ty experience. Any suggestions?

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 13
I wouldn't suggest trying to moderate this on your own - deciding who does and doesn't get banned isn't your problem. I think the pertinent issue here is that you did receive an item, you're just unhappy with the purchase (and I think that it's poor form for a seller to misrepresent an item for personal gain; I've purchased things in knowingly rough condition in the past, usually it means a discount). The cigarette smoke/otherwise "nasty" condition is not an uncommon problem, and I really do wish people would more truthfully disclose that kind of thing (it's really not that hard, but I do realize it probably deters a lot of buyers and people need money). There have been a few threads recently dealing with getting odors out of headphones, I'd track one of them down and give it a look. If memory serves, these are IEMs, so my first suggestion would be to trash the tips and get new ones; that should probably solve most of the problem right there. 

Regarding the moderation:
How long have you given the powers at the top to get in touch with you? Remember that these people have other "stuff" to handle, and that expecting an instant response because you feel slighted is not realistic - it may take a day or two. Be patient. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 13
I haven't use the tips he included from the start. They looked pretty gross as it was anyways. I'm pretty sure the cigarette smoke must have been mixed in well with all of the molecules that make up the earphones. I've tried baking soda, perfume, febreeze, alcohol and I still choke from third hand smoke when I wear the earphones. And I've used the "contact us" form well past a week ago. I've sent the message to Jude 3 days ago. So does that still make me an impatient man? I'm sure if you were in the same position you'd be feeling pretty angry too.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 13
The first thing is to give X negative feedback. That way anyone dealing with him/her will have a chance to read your experience.

How did you handle the $$ side? Can you send them back and get a refund?

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 13
I left a negative feedback already. I'm sure it will serve as a warning to any potential buyers who might deal with this guy in the future. Since he ignores all my messages, there is no direct way to get a refund from him. I did pay with paypal, so maybe I should try and talk with them, although I'm not sure how they're gonna handle it.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 13
I've never had to do a PayPal dispute, but from what I've read, they tend to support the buyer. I think there is a time limit, so you may want to get started.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 13
Ugh, in the days of vB you'd just click "View Forum Leaders" at the bottom of the main index; apparently that option is gone now. 

The moderation FAQ has two potential sources of help (currawong and Erik) listed as its authors, but they are not the entire moderation staff:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/moderation-faq

I also know of Joe, and wmcmanus, and I'm probably forgetting someone or other. I miss the "big'ol list" days. 

Anyways, I reported the thread on the assumption that you've had trouble contacting someone; you might try messaging one of the other admins/mods on your own. Having seen a number of these types of threads over the years, I applaud you for not dragging the whole issue out in the thread and naming names. 

Regarding PayPal, my experience is that they tend to settle with whoever does not cost them money - they're not exactly a humanitarian organization. I would say go this route if you can't get any contact (and in some cases, opening a dispute is the only way TO get a contact, because it puts a kink on the money). Can't hurt, but I'd see if an admin/mod has any advice before you go that route (don't expect them to have a magical fix; they likely have no more control over this person than you do). 

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 13
This is a good reason why you should never pay PayPal 'gift'.  In my opinion, PayPal 'gift' should not be permitted on this site.  It's dishonest, violates PayPal policies, and has no recourse for the buyer if something goes wrong (like in this case).  99% of the listings I see here are "PayPal gift preferred", I think this has to stop.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #12 of 13
I almost sent him the money as a gift, but thank god that I didn't know how to send as gift since it was my first time using Paypal and not ebay to send money so I sent the money as purchase.

Quote:
This is a good reason why you should never pay PayPal 'gift'.  In my opinion, PayPal 'gift' should not be permitted on this site.  It's dishonest, violates PayPal policies, and has no recourse for the buyer if something goes wrong (like in this case).  99% of the listings I see here are "PayPal gift preferred", I think this has to stop.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
OK, recently I bought an SM3 from a guy who I'm not sure I can name publicly. To make a long story short, I asked him when he bought it. He said late 2011. I asked him for receipt. I received SM3, it was stenched in cigarette smoke (still am not able to get it out), and there was a crack on the right unit along with countless scratches here and there. There was no receipt. I sent him multiple messages asking for receipt. He ignores all of them.

I've contacted head-fi using the "contact us" form, sent a message to Jude, no response. Do I just have to suck it up? I'm pretty pissed to be honest, but it seems there is nothing I can do except leave him negative feedback (which I did). I want him to be banned, since I wouldn't want anyone else having the same sh**ty experience. Any suggestions?

zeitfliesst, This is between you and the seller, and, if you left feedback, then you did your part in leaving feedback you felt commensurate with your dealings with him.

Outside of that, you're going to have to work this out with the seller.

I'm sorry if I haven't responded to your message yet, but I receive a lot of Head-Fi-related messages (via email, PM, telephone, etc.). I try to stay on top of them, but to be perfect about it would be something akin to a full-time job itself.

I'm going to close this thread, as this is not the buyer/seller feedback area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back