I Want To Make Sure I Am Making The Right Decision On Buying New IEM's
Jan 1, 2009 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

radiohead7

100+ Head-Fier
I am generally new to headfi (3 weeks of membership) and after researching the 4 most popular high end IEM's shure 530,Westone 3,UE Triple.fi 10, and the Steinheiser IE8 i have made a decision to buy the TF 10 for 310 dollars from amazon free shipping no tax.The TF 10 from what i hear are not comfortable for most people but produce high quality sound with great highs. From what i understand they have the best clairity of the 4 unless misinformed. The fact that they stick out is not much of concern.

The Shure Decision

From what i read (I am not posting to bash brands) that the shure highs roll off and it has too much bass plus they are not equilized as much as the TF10. They do however have the best mids. From ehat i have read some people wh owned both 530 and TF 10 describe them as muddy when compared to the TF 10.

The Westone Decision

The Westones have just came out and it is hard for someone who is new to this to seperate the hype from the fact. I take into the credibilty of the owner/reviewer and the respect given in the headfi community when researching. I heard great things about them and some bad things once again i am not here to knock on any brand but try to sift through the truth. The westones 3 from what i read has produced high pitch sounds that are not part of the music on some of the bad reviews. I wanted to see what other problems arise with them over the coarse of more months before buying somthing new. Also noted was overwhelming base. Some people have better experiance and love them such as Ray Sameul which lend a vote of confidence.

The IE8 Decison

The IE8 do not seem to be as hyped up as the other three but i have heard great things about them and steinheiser is a respectable company.I quess i was not as interested in them because the war seem to be with the other three.

My Conclusion

I quess the biggest problem that i have with evaluating which ones to buy is the rig set up the reviewer has. The Ipod,amp,lod,IEM cable and various other adapters that are unique to the person reviewing the IEM could make the earphone sound better or worse. I Have a P-51 mustang and a LOD made by Qusp Coming plus i would like to purchase a IEM Cable. I have been told by people who have RED WINE IMODS that the sound quailty on the TF 10 are great. I only have a IPOD touch not moded, still i am confident with my setup that they will preform great.

I would not mind owning them all but when you only have 300-400 dollars to spend you want to make sure you are happy.I prefer not pay 15% to 20%restocking fees. The more decisions i have in life the less happy i am ....i this case picking through 4 really good IEMs.

If anyone has strong argument that i am not making the right decision about my IEM choice I welcome them to reply and would take there advice into consideration.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 16
I think Westone 3 has best clarity among all. TFPro is actually dry and airy sounding but will improve with an amp. SE530 is a little dark, a little veiled but still very nice sound sig.

Jan 1, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 16
I'd consider the ER4Ps alongside those IEMs, as they're the top of the line of the other major IEM manufacturer. If you don't mind the IEMs being a little leaner than the others, I think they're a good option to consider, and they're a little cheaper.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 16
To these ears: (haven't heard TF 10)

when using an iPod Headphone Out jack, SE530 vs. Westone 3 = almost boils down to different "flavor" sound signatures (SE530 being darker, with just a bit flabbier bass), the Westone being more balanced.

Hook them up to a Tomahawk, and the Westone 3's start to pull ahead of the 530's by a fair amount (more air in the high frequencies; better presence in the mids, and tight articulate bass)

Hook them up to a Mustang, and the Westone 3's simply murder the SE530's (imho). Together, they are a jaw-dropping rig.

best advice I can think of..

Got a Ray Samuels amp? Getting one? Then get the W3's.

iPod only - then go for the best price

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 16
It seems that the IE8 seems to be the most universally liked IEM that is talked about. The fit and the seal from what i read feels as though you do not have anything in your ear according to most people. Also for those who had westone 3 and IE8 said that the westone was clearer but the IE8 won out in the bass, mids, and soundstage section. I just became aware the the IE 8 can be ordered from the UK at Advanced MP3 Players for about 233 dollars that includes shipping and no tax. I just do not know how they sound with the mustang amp.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 16
I just change my order to the IE8. I am a runner and it would be more practical for fit and comfort reasons to go with somthing that will not fall out as part of the reason not to mention the great reviews of this IEM. I canceled my amazon order of TF 10s and got a the IE8 for $260 that includes shipping tax and comply t-400s from Advanced MP3 Players. Its more cost effective and i am more confident i will like them. The major problem for the TF 10 would be getting a good seal .....some people are luckier than others or more willing to try different tips which can get expensive and tiring. These i can sleep with and run with. Another boost is the steinnheiser name granted not everything made by steinnheiser is gold but they make a quailty product. I will let you know how they sound with my P-51 mustang, LOD from qusp and ipod touch. I will probably recable them but i want to get them first.

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by radiohead7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just change my order to the IE8. I am a runner and it would be more practical for fit and comfort reasons to go with somthing that will not fall out as part of the reason not to mention the great reviews of this IEM. I canceled my amazon order of TF 10s and got a the IE8 for $260 that includes shipping tax and comply t-400s from Advanced MP3 Players. Its more cost effective and i am more confident i will like them. The major problem for the TF 10 would be getting a good seal .....some people are luckier than others or more willing to try different tips which can get expensive and tiring. These i can sleep with and run with. Another boost is the steinnheiser name granted not everything made by steinnheiser is gold but they make a quailty product. I will let you know how they sound with my P-51 mustang, LOD from qusp and ipod touch. I will probably recable them but i want to get them first.

The IE8 for $260? What currency? I am in the US and the cheapest I found them for on Amazon is $450.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 16
England has them much less inexpensive roughly 200 pounds or 300 dollars plus i used the code listenlive and it took 20% off i did not have to pay tax and i bought the t400 comply for 15 Dollars. It came out to be 260 Dollar American approximatly. I heard that they are more expensive because they imported to retailers in the us. Got around paying 450 for them here they are coming from england at the advanced mp3 player website

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 16
I'm making the same decision too, only I' Im kind of limited to the TF10 because it has the easily replaceable cable and $300 is beyond the maximum I really want to pay. I wanted SA6 but a combination of bad luck, being clumsy, and having kids would make them break pretty quickly it sounds like.

PS. Life in a Glass House is playing right now. In anticipation for my TF10 of whatever I end up with, I re-ripped most of my favorite CDs to ALAC and now Im encoding them at 320. Fun stuff!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by radiohead7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
England has them much less inexpensive roughly 200 pounds or 300 dollars plus i used the code listenlive and it took 20% off i did not have to pay tax and i bought the t400 comply for 15 Dollars. It came out to be 260 Dollar American approximatly. I heard that they are more expensive because they imported to retailers in the us. Got around paying 450 for them here they are coming from england at the advanced mp3 player website

Wow, thanks for sharing the info...now I have even more decisions to make, the IE8 or the X10 (but I think that is a no brainer, except for the fit and comfort). Too bad I have $200 in Amazon gift certificates!

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Wow, thanks for sharing the info...now I have even more decisions to make, the IE8 or the X10 (but I think that is a no brainer, except for the fit and comfort). Too bad I have $200 in Amazon gift certificates!

Joe,
For that price you could get the Custom 3, Klipsch high end model ($160 Amazon)

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm making the same decision too, only I' Im kind of limited to the TF10 because it has the easily replaceable cable and $300 is beyond the maximum I really want to pay.

The IE 8 has a replaceable cable too, and as many are finding out, you can very easily mod the IE 8 so the cable either goes around your ear or straight down.

I'm in the US and, like many others, I ordered from Advanced MP3 Players: $247.31USD shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back