I want to make my own soundboard - Good Quality
Jul 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

kizm0

New Head-Fier
Dear Community,

I am looking forward to making my own sound card. The reason is I don't have much money to buy one pre-made (from a manufacturer.) I want to be able to record at 96Khz or 192Khz preferable. I'm going to spend some time looking around for schematics. In the mean time, can somebody provide me a link to a card I can make that has the specs I mentioned?

Record @ 96Khz minimum. (So I can record at low latency)
Playback at 44Khz Minimum.
Sound professional \ good. Better than the Audigy 1 @least.

That or I'd like to modify a cheap soundcard to sound really good.

smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a lot.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 22
Enough with the spoonfeeding already! Have you even searched?
Just get an E-MU 0404 USB or something like that and be done with it.

Apparently you want high quality but you don't want to spend the money necessary for high quality..
Good tools cost big money, get used to it.

What are you going to record anyway that you'd prefer a 192Khz card?

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 22
They all cost under 300 bucks or something. Not so expensive for recording equipment. ... Do you know a good microphone cost over one grand? ...

Oh! So you all singers stop spit into the mike! Geez. Next time I see a singer does that when I am working on a set, I am going to beat that singer to pulp. Don't people ever teach them "lessons"?

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 22
I don't think it's really possible to build a soundcard for less than what you could purchase a dedicated semi-pro or professional card for. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I would even attempt to build a computer soundcard. E-bay is your friend:

M-Audio 2496 Pro Sound card - eBay (item 180377369542 end time Jul-10-09 13:19:32 PDT)

Or, something with a bit better specs...

EMU 1212M - eBay (item 120417408906 end time Aug-05-09 13:31:27 PDT)

I own the 1212m--it's really a lovely card. Found it used for $75. Poke around on E-bay or Craig's List and see what you find.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 22
I'd actually prefer Craigslist.

Spoonfeeding lol? Hahaha

Cmon.

I know my soundcards.

RME is a great company. Hammerfall - kickass.
Audiophile 2496 is a good bang for the buck.
Another good card is the Delta 1010.
Emu 0404 is decent.
Audigy's are barely acceptable haha.

In most cases it would be better to buy a pre-made soundcard. If you know what you're doing then it's not.

I never said I don't want to spend the money for high-quality. I was just looking for an alternative route that would be kinda harder to do but would be cheaper in the long run.

I need 192Khz simply for the latency being lower. I don't know why the latency is lower the higher the Khz but it is. The lower the sample rate the lower the latency.

I was just asking for some schematics and such if anybody has made their own high quality soundcard.

All I need for now is low latency\high quality sound. I don't need large amounts of inputs, outputs, addons, digital, etc.

I'd appreciate some help in finding some stuff. And yes, I have been looking around all day. I've been looking at some high quality Chips but thats about all I can find right now.

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 22
WOW!!

I've been using this Audigy 1 for months now. It turns out my onboard soundcard is soo much better. Audigy 1 can record at maximum of 48Khz. My ONBOARD can record at 192Khz just fine LOL!

If anybody wants an excellent starter soundcard, then buy the Lanparty series motherboards. They have awesome technology on them.

Here's a screenshot of the ASIO in FL studio
smily_headphones1.gif

Soundcard.jpg - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

O yea. I'm running Windows 7 RC..you can get it for free to test until March 2010@ Microsoft.com

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kizm0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Spoonfeeding lol? Hahaha

Cmon.

You do know your soundcards yet you refuse to do research. You want info to be fed to you, even though it's so easy to find.
That's what I call spoonfeeding.

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #14 of 22
You're right man. I should've done the extra little bit of research. I was on the right path the whole time. Attaching the DAC to my sound card would do exactly what I needed it to. I just had to learn about that part.

If I wouldve used my Audigy I would've had to use a different design because the digital wasn't an optical SPDIF.

Thanks a bunch for that link though. I'll definitely learn something throughout the process of making it.

Next time I won't let myself get lazy.

beerchug.gif
(rootbeer)

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #15 of 22
As was stated before, they all cost under $300 and frankly let's look how this will add up:
Research, Schematic/Board Design: ~40hrs
Board Etching/Silkscreen/etc: $2.50/inch² = ~80USD
Populating Board Components and Reflow Soldering Tools: 150 - 200 USD
Driver Programming, Testing, etc: ~60hrs
So for the low, lowe price of 100 hours (5 days) and $230 to $500 (I say 500 because most board houses require a minimum number of boards, not just 1) you could make your own soundcard but realistically..... save your pennies!

Also, 96kbps isn't a very high goal to shoot for.... most standard onboard PC soundcards can do that from the microphone input jack with the right settings tweaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back