I want to get the portapro but dare not to buy them.
Apr 22, 2008 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hentai

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I am thinking of purchasing the portapro to use with my newly bought cowon iaudio7. Does it sound so bassy till it makes the mids and treble sound muddy? Can the eq in iaudio 7 brings out the mids? I have previously owned sportapro (muddy) and ksc 75 ( preferred the ksc). I also owned the igrado and disliked its comfort.

The reason i dare not to buy portapro is because i may not like them in the long run due to lack of clarity. ( I use ety 4p and akg k314p for portable usage)

Apr 22, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 12
they sound pretty much just like the sporta pro, and the cable breaks easily. not my favorite
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The clarity will be poor in comparison to ER4P but it will be superior against anything else in it's $40 price range.

Totally agree. You will be very disappointed if you expect the Pros to give you what you get from your ER4Ps. But I agree that you just can't do better than the Pros for the money.

I'm not a basshead, so I tend to notice overly heavy low end. Subjectively, I've always found the Pros to be very well balanced for what they are.

The Pros aren't as good as the SR60s, to be sure. But, again, the SR60s cost considerably more. I thought they gave the ER6's (only Etys I've owned) a run for their money, however. And I actually thought they delivered better imaging than the ER6s.

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 12
Well i never expect portapro to have the clarity of ety 4p but at least some clarity at the treble and midrange ( not like akg/jbl closed headphones which only have bass and nothing else). Now i am having some craving for warm and balanced sounding portable headphones for my iaudio. My main music consists Jpop, metal, hiphop and jazz. I have read that portapro sounds better than sportapro. Dunno if its true?

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #7 of 12
Hi guys, i went to listen to portapro and px100. I prefer the portapro but i still can't bring myself to buy it. I like its retro look and impactful sound but the mid range lacks clarity compared to my earphones sennheiser mx51 and akg k314p. Will definately feel unsatisfied with portapro in the long run so I have decided not to buy them for the time being.

Apr 26, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, i went to listen to portapro and px100. I prefer the portapro but i still can't bring myself to buy it. I like its retro look and impactful sound but the mid range lacks clarity compared to my earphones sennheiser mx51 and akg k314p. Will definately feel unsatisfied with portapro in the long run so I have decided not to buy them for the time being.

Well, as a major cheerleader for PPs, I'm disappointed in your decision (though I respect the fact that you were willing to give them a serious listen). Lots of people around here dismiss equipment they haven't even listened to.

I'd be curious to know why you liked the PPs better than the PX100s. I completely agree; I'd be interested in exactly why you preferred the PPs.

Apr 26, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, as a major cheerleader for PPs, I'm disappointed in your decision (though I respect the fact that you were willing to give them a serious listen). Lots of people around here dismiss equipment they haven't even listened to.

I'd be curious to know why you liked the PPs better than the PX100s. I completely agree; I'd be interested in exactly why you preferred the PPs.

The Px100's bass doesn't sound natural to me. I can hear more outside noise while listening to the px100. Its mid range is slightly clearer than portapro but using it in outside environment will not let you appreciate the clearer mids. Though my earphones don't sound as full as these 2 headphones, they are better value and don't leak.

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 12
the pp are my favourite non-full size portable phones. they have been for about 14 years. the looks, the sound and well everything but the headband that pulls hair out.

mine have currently a cable broken and i bought them in canada for 80 as they are definately not 40$ anywhere but the states! lucky lucky

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the pp are my favourite non-full size portable phones. they have been for about 14 years. the looks, the sound and well everything but the headband that pulls hair out.

mine have currently a cable broken and i bought them in canada for 80 as they are definately not 40$ anywhere but the states! lucky lucky

I agree that the PPs can, sometimes, get caught in one's hair. This led me to the ultimate PP mod: I shaved my head.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #12 of 12
The retro look of portapro keeps calling me so i bought them today.
biggrin.gif
It sound better than i expect with some adjustment on the bbe eq in my iaudio 7. The way i are song sounds fantastic on this can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back