I want to get headphile mods for my SR225's so...
Apr 1, 2007 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

spacecoyote

100+ Head-Fier
I have decided to get the woody/cable mods that Larry at headphile_com is offering.
I would appreciate any feadback from those of you who have owned similar phones with the woody/cable mods. I know what I like and what I'm leaning towards as far as specifics, but I would like to know from those that own them, what mods they had performed and their impressions.
Also, not to be rude, but I would also appreciate only positive feedback.
Thanx in advance...

Apr 2, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecoyote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, 50,000 members, over 110 read this thread...

not really, I've read it 5 times already...sorry! Just hoping someone posts nice pics of a woodied grado
cool.gif

Apr 2, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not really, I've read it 5 times already...sorry! Just hoping someone posts nice pics of a woodied grado
cool.gif

That's what I'm sayin
rolleyes.gif

Let's see some, I mean, I'm getting them no matter what, no ones talking me off the roof, I'm jumpin
eggosmile.gif

Cocobolo probobly, ebony maybe...

Apr 3, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 17
Why do you want your sr225s modded so badly? why not just upgrade to an rs-1/2 for about the same cost...

Apr 3, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiliman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you want your sr225s modded so badly? why not just upgrade to an rs-1/2 for about the same cost...

This is exactly what I am doing. Let you know if it was worth it (willing to bet that it is haha)

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 17
why waste your money on mostly looks? not enough of us have them...so i'd think its sound quality is still unproven. for looks, i'd use the money towards a ps1...just because i like grado.

Apr 3, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #11 of 17
Part of the fun of this hobby is havin' fun! Ok; ALL of the fun of this hobby is havin' fun!!

If a woodied SR-225 sounds like fun; sure, why not!! I had toyed with the idea of making woodies out of my MS-1s just for fun too!

It'll take a bit of searching with the search function, but there have been lots of posts and threads of woodies here in Head-Fi and beyond. It's certainly worth a look, just for fun!

Apr 3, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanhayn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why waste your money on mostly looks? not enough of us have them...so i'd think its sound quality is still unproven. for looks, i'd use the money towards a ps1...just because i like grado.

Would Columbus still have crossed the Atlantic if he listened to those who said, "Why are you going to India, I only know a couple of people who went, so why go?"
blink.gif

If, based on looks, you'd rather have PS-1's, than terrific! I would love a pair of PS-1's, but not as an alternative. I absolutely love what Larry does, and I absolutely love my Grado's, so to me it's money well spent.

Chiliman wrote:
"Why do you want your sr225s modded so badly? why not just upgrade to an rs-1/2 for about the same cost..."

I think that is exactly the reason to do it. I don't doubt the RS-1 is superior but I'm not trying to buy RS-1's (yet) or turn my SR225's into RS-1's. I am looking for something unique and original, and that's what a work of art should be.
And if the sound quality is still unproven, then I'm one more candidate to foward the cause.

I appreciate the suggestions, however it is all about personal taste, in music, in equipment, in style. I am well aware of what I am doing. I am having my already perfect SR225's turned into something all together unique, a one-of-a-kind. Your money is not wasted if you pay for what you get and get what you pay for. If I am happy to spend the money and I am happy with what I get, how is that wasting money? Wasting money is buying K701's off of Am@zon for $380 only to see them sell for $250 everywhere else
blink.gif

Or is that just getting ripped off?

Apr 3, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 17
That's wasting money GETTING ripped off.

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #14 of 17
Personally, the models below the Alessandro MS-2/Grado SR-325i, are not that worth it to get a woody/recable. If I had to choose, I would try to sell your SR-225 and find a MS-2, you can find these for about $200-230 used here.
IMHO off course... It would be like buying $45 bagels for a $69 Grado SR-60.

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be like buying $30 flats on a $69 Grado SR-60.

Been there, done that, was very happy with the results.

For the OP: I personally would go for a pair of RS-1s or RS-2s over a headphiled SR-225 if I was primarily interested in sound improvement. When I owned my HF-1s, I had them Headphiled (Zebrawood) and was happy with the results.

I say if you have your heart set on pimping out your SR-225s, then go for it! They will look lovely, of that I am certain. I love spending other people's money.

Just promise that you will share some pictures with us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back