I want to get a turntable setup in my living room but have no clue where to begin
May 15, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:
The used Rega deck that was suggested is fine though I prefer my suggestion of Technics SL 1200 Mk ii or iii for about $250 (where I live). You can check out Craigslist if you have access to that or go to a pro audio store that does rentals and ask if they have any to buy.
A technics deck will come with a tone arm and probably a cartridge like a Shure. Later when you get more into vinyl you can try fancier cartridges. BTW needles are separate things that are attached to a cartridge and have to replaced every now and then.
Then you will need an amp with phono inputs like the Marantz that was suggested. If the amp doesn't have phono inputs then you will need what's called a phono preamp. The preamp is to boost the turntable's signal and apply what's called RIAA equalization.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization
After the amp part is sorted out look for some speakers but you won't have too much money left over probably.
Here's sort of a budget:
Turntable $250 - $300 SL 1200 Mk III or II
Used amp $200.00 anything solid state with phono inputs
Speakers Used $400.00 Totem dreamcatchers or Paradigm bookshelfs
Just IMHO
PS
Congratulations on your graduation!

I see, thanks a ton for the info and thanks as well for the breakdown!  Know of any amps off the top of your head that can support my headphones as well as speakers?  Depending on how much shopping around I do I might have to just wait on speakers a bit...

May 15, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
I see, thanks a ton for the info and thanks as well for the breakdown!  Know of any amps off the top of your head that can support my headphones as well as speakers?  Depending on how much shopping around I do I might have to just wait on speakers a bit..

Hmmmm ... most of the modern amps don't seem to have phono inputs (I just checked around briefly at some Pioneer and Onkyo ones) so you're going to have to hunt a bit. Really anything will work OK for now (there is a school of thought that all properly functioning solid state amps are pretty much equal ... see the sound science forum for that endless debate).

NAD and Rotel make OK gear. Maybe something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROTEL-RA-820B-STEREO-AUDIOPHILE-QUALITY-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-/190671048743?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2c64e15027

I understand Cambridge Audio and Creek are OK too ...

If you buy a standalone phono preamp your options are greatly expanded ... then it's merely a trip to Best Buy or whatever big box store is nearby to pick up a cheap A/V receiver. I picked up a cheap phono pre for around $50.00 yet they can run into the thousands!!! ... but I just use my deck for sampling records.

Interestingly, I was at this used audio gear shop last weekend and the guy just finished selling someone a whole turntable setup ... JVC automatic turntable and an little amp plus a box of records including the Stones' Hot Rocks for like $150.00 or something and that shop is way overpriced too!

Seems lots of people are getting into vinyl again ... that's cool!

May 15, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #20 of 23
You're right, phono inputs are uncommon on the A/V recievers you'll find at big box retailers. You'll only find that on the modern specialty amplifiers, which leads to many people looking at vintage units when it was a common feature. However buying used audio equipment brings with it a whole host of possible problems.

Things you want to stay away from when buying from eBay:

"I have no speakers to test it with but I plugged it in and it works great"

Amplifiers with scratched cases. That might seem odd, but this can often be a sign that the unit had other components stacked on top of it, and poor ventiliation is a huge problem.

May 15, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #21 of 23
I believe that fewer and fewer receivers have a phono input these days. As far as I know, some hifi amplifiers have phono inputs which will suffice for entry level TT rigs. 

Also, I haven't heard the Technics 1200 but from what I read in various forums, it's a great buy and you can't really go wrong with that. Furthermore, because they're only available used, if you choose to upgrade, you won't lose a lot of value. 

May 15, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:
Also, I haven't heard the Technics 1200 but from what I read in various forums, it's a great buy and you can't really go wrong with that. Furthermore, because they're only available used, if you choose to upgrade, you won't lose a lot of value. 

You can still buy brand new SL-1200 turntables but they cost upwards of 900$.

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #23 of 23
Clearaudio concept MM... 1100 euros, done. Or 1400 euro Clearaudio concept MC. Their mini phono stage is good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back