Nov 20, 2005 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vicentk

New Head-Fier
Now I'm using ER4P
etysmile.gif
, but this IEM sound tone is more cold , as one time I had try Grado SR80
rs1smile.gif
, the bass and soung tone is my tea .
As now I want to change my 4P , which is better for me ?
I 'm looking in UE Super fi-5pro and Shure E4C .
Pl's HELP
icon10.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by vicentk
Now I'm using ER4P
etysmile.gif
, but this IEM sound tone is more cold , as one time I had try Grado SR80
rs1smile.gif
, the bass and soung tone is my tea .
As now I want to change my 4P , which is better for me ?
I 'm looking in UE Super fi-5pro and Shure E4C .
Pl's HELP
icon10.gif

Well, both have a warmer sound than the er4. The e4c has a fairly balanced sound that isn't overly cold or overly warm, while the ue 5pro certainly favors a warmer sound. I think the e4c has a sound similar to the sr80 on the high end, but it doesn't have the midbass hump, or as much of a 'hard hitting' bass as the grados. The 5pro has more bass than the e4c that may be more similar to the level of grados, but the highs are recessed in an ungrado-esque way.

If you like the detail of the er4, but want a warmer (less abrasive, imo) sound with some more bass, then I'd recommend the e4c. If you want more of a departure from the er4, and are willing to take a hit in the treble region for a bassier, kick in the pants sound (still very good), then I'd say the 5pro.

Nov 20, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Well, both have a warmer sound than the er4. The e4c has a fairly balanced sound that isn't overly cold or overly warm, while the ue 5pro certainly favors a warmer sound. I think the e4c has a sound similar to the sr80 on the high end, but it doesn't have the midbass hump, or as much of a 'hard hitting' bass as the grados. The 5pro has more bass than the e4c that may be more similar to the level of grados, but the highs are recessed in an ungrado-esque way.

If you like the detail of the er4, but want a warmer (less abrasive, imo) sound with some more bass, then I'd recommend the e4c. If you want more of a departure from the er4, and are willing to take a hit in the treble region for a bassier, kick in the pants sound (still very good), then I'd say the 5pro.

thx jmmmmmm :
your advice is like a beacon for me . All my worry is gone . 1 more question , if no budget limited , with one is more like Grado ? UE-10pro / UE-5C ?
THX again

Nov 20, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 11
At last I bought fi 5PRO tonight , the sound is not run-in , so hope after is more like GRADO

Nov 20, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by vicentk
At last I bought fi 5PRO tonight , the sound is not run-in , so hope after is more like GRADO

Jmmmmm's comment above is right on the money, IMO. I don't think you will find that the actual sound signature of the sf5pro is very much like a Grado. but they both seem to share a similar "attitude" (don't know what else to call it).

Nov 20, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 11
Geez, I've gone through like half a dozen IEM and a couple thousand bucks seeking the Grado of IEM, and I'm still nowhere there. Next step is the Westone ES3 (I think that's the designation), but I've got other things on my head-fi radar right now...

Anyway, the Grado of IEM is the holy grail. If anyone finds it, let me know.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Nov 20, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 11
You want an open can sound from a closed can. That is a lot like asking for a shade of black that looks yellow.
Though personally I'd kill for an IEM that sounda like a padded SA5K.

However, I heard that UE makes UE-10Pros with an 'opening' option, to allow sound to leak. I wonder if that is the answer we are looking for. At the sacrifice of isolation though.

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 11
tnx all first .
I know IEM is hard to had a sound like open phone . As I mean is sound tone , any way when I bought fi5pro , the sound tone is more like Grado , it had more musical .

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by t10
You want an open can sound from a closed can. That is a lot like asking for a shade of black that looks yellow.
Though personally I'd kill for an IEM that sounda like a padded SA5K.

However, I heard that UE makes UE-10Pros with an 'opening' option, to allow sound to leak. I wonder if that is the answer we are looking for. At the sacrifice of isolation though.

The Etymotic 4s sounds like the SA5000, but not quite as good.

The UE 10 pro should be even better than the Ety 4 - from all comparison reports available.

Any canal phone reduces phase distortion, from reflections in the outer ear, relative to any over-the-ear headphone. This yields a better image focus and definition, but the greater neutrality is somewhat cold and clinical compared to the phase distortion coloration of headphones - the right kind and measure of such coloration is designed in by the manufacturer to give a warmer sound in many headphones, that many people prefer over the more neutral sound of canal phones.

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
The Etymotic 4s sounds like the SA5000, but not quite as good.

I find the Shure E4c sound more like the SA5000 than the Ety ER4P/S. The Etys sound nice but have a tonal colouration that the SA5000 don't. The E4c has the same treble emphasized nature, but isn't as far off tonally. At the same time, find the E4c have an even more exaggerated/artificialness to the detail than the SA5k does.

Best regards,

-Jason

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Geez, I've gone through like half a dozen IEM and a couple thousand bucks seeking the Grado of IEM, and I'm still nowhere there. Next step is the Westone ES3 (I think that's the designation), but I've got other things on my head-fi radar right now...

Anyway, the Grado of IEM is the holy grail. If anyone finds it, let me know.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

PM me if you find it...I'd buy one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back