I want to expand my musical horizion... *Quick* Help Please...
Jul 28, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #31 of 46
herbie hancock's - Man-Child ... imho better than headhunters

Jul 28, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

herbie hancock's - Man-Child ... imho better than headhunters

IMHO funkier but not better... But IMO again, hang up your hang ups is one of Herbie's best songs, and it's what got me into Herbie in the first place. But Chameleon and Watermelon Man REALLY blew me away...
icon10.gif

Head Hunter's the usual recommendation, but it wouldn't hurt to own the whole collection then listen and judge for yourself Jitsu....

Jul 28, 2004 at 11:44 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

No Man! Maceo is 2% Jazz 98% Funky Stuff if you know what i mean!

HOLY **** I GET WHAT YOU MEAN HAHAHA!
btw where did you guys first hear of Life on Planet Groove?
I've heard maceo's other albums but I've been unimpressed as it sounds so much like everyone else (i'm not a huge funk fan). I didn't even know Maceo played with George Clinton....
Man, "Life on Planet Groove" is awesome. He really knows how to make people "shake everything they got", totally wild crowd control!

Jul 29, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Get some Ennio Morricone while you're at it. He might not be jazz, but Playing Love is still one my my most favourite piano songs ever.

Great composer. His score for Once Upon a Time in America is magnificent. Greatest Film Score Ever!!!

Jul 29, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #35 of 46
Life on Planet Groove : the sax solo on Childrens World(track 6) is amazing .. another testament to Maceo's ability as a saxophonist ... and the very soulful Georgia on My Mind(Track 7) and the amazing drumming by Kenwood Dennard his drummer.. . and the recording itself with its amazing atmosphere which makes you jump ontop tables ... makes it one of the all time greatest albums.

Jul 29, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #36 of 46
If you're getting to jazz-funk like Head Hunter or Planet Groove, i highly reccomend. both albums have elements of nu-jazz and jazz-funk.

Madlib - "Shades of Blue"
All the classic Blue Note recordings remixed by the most prolific and talented hip hop producer of the decade. it sounds more jazz than hip hop, which is a very good thing. Hearing Herbie Hancock's "Dolphin Dance" redone with what sounds like keyboards beamed in from orbit was an experience.

Yesterday's New Quintet - "New Angles" and "Stevie"
Composed of Madlib and 5 other band members listed in the credits, jazz funk but with a much more laidback feel to it. it's a great chill out album. What's really happending though is that Madlib is playing ALL the instruments and putting it all together himself, it sounds like you've just walked into a jam session in the session, but it's just Madlib =) He's gone as far as to release solo albums for some of his alter-egos.

since you're coming from a hip hop background, both will sound familiar to you, but at the same time introducing you into elements of jazz.

getting outside of jazz. what really expanded my horizons was listening to My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" in it's entirety in one sitting. music has never been the same for me since.

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by pandasonic
getting outside of jazz. what really expanded my horizons was listening to My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" in it's entirety in one sitting. music has never been the same for me since.

Man I've tried so hard to like that album. I've tried it with every audio setup I've ever owned and it just doesn't come clear to me how so many people can enjoy it. To me it sounds like a tape machine with a bad drive-motor
basshead.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #38 of 46
Jazz with flute and strings? Check out McCoy Tyner's Fly With the Wind. Great stuff, and the flute player is Hubert Laws, who has already been mentioned.

Superbass is a good recommendation. For good jazz with double bass, I'll also throw out the Esbjorn Svensson Trio. Those guys have made their own sound, and I love it.

If you're into hip-hoppy stuff, you might want to check out some of the stuff that Bill Laswell has produced. Material's Hallucination Engine will ease you into jazz through trance/dub/funk, including "Cucumber Slumber" written by Wayne Shorter and "Naima" by John Coltrane. Ekstasis by Nicky Skopelitis is best described as "world fusion" with African, Middle Eastern, and South American percussion backing up some groovy guitar and electric bass playing. And closer to traditional jazz is Panthalassa which consists of remixes Bill Laswell did from original Miles Davis master tapes. It emphasizes the groovy/funky nature of what Miles was doing. You'll find it filed under Miles Davis.

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #39 of 46
listen to jam bands.

phish
moe.
string cheese incident
keller williams

to name a few..

and yes, i like maceo and friends

dude if you want to go that route check out Medeski Martin and Wood, maybe start with "Shack Man" album

it will knock you on the ground if you want to go with the rumpshaking tripped out jazz.

enjoy. MMW will be a revelation.

someone back me up on this?

Sean

Jul 30, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jitsu
I purchased:

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
Getz/Gilberto
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters

eggosmile.gif

Three excellent choices--solid classics, every one. Give Sketches of Spain some time to grow on you (I mean months or years), with time I've come to appreciate what a work of art it is. In addition to the genius of Miles, it has the genius of Gil Evans behind it.

The Getz/Gilberto disc is IMO the best jazz/samba collaboration there will ever be.

"Chameleon" is probablyTHE time-capsule classsic funk/jazz track.
280smile.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #41 of 46
A few 70's-80's jazz-rock suggestions:

Lenny White: "Twelve Bars from Mars" from Streamline;
Dixie Dregs: What If (check out the track "Ice Cakes"), also collaborations with Mark O'Connor (phenom bluegrass/jazz/rock violinist);
Stanley Clarke: School Days (title track, "Life is Just a Game", etc.);
Weather Report: Heavy Weather

And my favorite rock track for exploring the abilities of a sound system:
"Killing in the Name" from Rage Against the Machine
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #42 of 46
I don't have Superbass, but I have Superbass 2. What can I say? THREE THUMBS UP!!!

I hope you have a subwoofer
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftbldg
The Getz/Gilberto disc is IMO the best jazz/samba collaboration there will ever be.

have you heard fernanda porto's CD? Its pretty good
biggrin.gif

of course, that is more samba mixed with drum and bass
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #44 of 46
One of the best jazz songs out there using the flute - "Spain" by Chick Corea.

And check out all of the "Le Jazz Hot" type of parisian jazz coming from Django Reinhart's period - tons of jazz violin used there. Not to mention Django himself, a wizard on "gypsy" jazz acoustic guitar.

Jul 31, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

I don't have Superbass, but I have Superbass 2. What can I say? THREE THUMBS UP!!!

I hope you have a subwoofer

Forgot, I got Superbass2 as well, Superbass one is less fun IMO.....sorry for the misinfo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back