I want to create headphones. Headphones that feature radically new sonic designs and game-changing technologies.
Apr 1, 2017 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MICHAELSD

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm intimately familiar with the entire range of headphones and brands out there through many hours of comparison shopping, yet none check every single box for what I feel a modern headphone should be. Nor do I feel enough manufacturers are focusing unique auditory implementations into headphones beyond the majority of them utilizing a dynamic driver. When compared to what has been accomplished with the sonic design of speakers, there are a lot of unique technologies and designs that haven't been incorporated into headphones; unfortunately, many headphones are decidedly one-note in their execution compared to what has been achieved with modern sound systems. There hasn't been enough true breaking out of the proven shell to innovate and find technologies that sound compellingly better. 

Yet, we are in a renaissance for headphones as audio and technology intersect. The face of headphones is changing, perhaps not as rapidly as one would hope, but I believe over this decade we'll see more innovation in headphone design than we have seen in the past decade as headphones make the transition to seamless, perfected wireless that makes no compromises. 

There is an opportunity to explore aspects of sonic/driver design that have only been attempted on a larger scale (pricey speaker setups), as well as the opportunity to incorporate new game-changing technologies into headphones that not only make them more convenient but also change the entire perception of what a headphone can be. Combine the two and I think there's a winning combination there. 

The main issue is the R&D cost: it'd admittedly be very difficult for a new headphone manufacturer to release a radically new headphone right out of the gate. Compromises would have to be made without adequate funding, yet if enough people believe in the idea of better sound and the possibility for headphones unlike any that have been on the market for before then perhaps the first product could help fund a bold follow-up. Which makes me a bit mad that companies with the talent and budget like Apple aren't rushing head-first into this, but rather releasing iterative products. Perhaps because nobody is truly challenging them with a bold combination of sound quality and new technology. 

Fundamentally, I'd like to explore all of the new, uncharted territory in headphone design if I can figure out how to get started as a lone designer creating one of the most ambitious headphones to be released in a long time. If I were to do this, I'd want to change the face of headphones from every aspect. Any less is a waste of time.

While I do have some manufacturing experience, I'm not even sure where to begin especially with such a radically new design. Obviously I'd want to release as perfect and high-quality of a product as possible. It's nice to have the ambition, so maybe somebody here can motivate this project :).

(There are a lot of brands doing great things in the headphone space, but through a long time searching I still feel like there isn't a headphone that reaches the potential of what can be achieved today from a technical standpoint and that hits every single mark for me. Simply, there isn't a headphone combining all of the best new technologies with a radically different sonic design. I'm interested because I believe there is room to do better, not necessarily better-sounding than the best experts in the field though that'd be nice to achieve, but something very different.)

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 2
  I'm intimately familiar with the entire range of headphones and brands out there through many hours of comparison shopping, yet none check every single box for what I feel a modern headphone should be. Nor do I feel enough manufacturers are focusing unique auditory implementations into headphones beyond the majority of them utilizing a dynamic driver. When compared to what has been accomplished with the sonic design of speakers, there are a lot of unique technologies and designs that haven't been incorporated into headphones; unfortunately, many headphones are decidedly one-note in their execution compared to what has been achieved with modern sound systems. There hasn't been enough true breaking out of the proven shell to innovate and find technologies that sound compellingly better. 

Yet, we are in a renaissance for headphones as audio and technology intersect. The face of headphones is changing, perhaps not as rapidly as one would hope, but I believe over this decade we'll see more innovation in headphone design than we have seen in the past decade as headphones make the transition to seamless, perfected wireless that makes no compromises. 

There is an opportunity to explore aspects of sonic/driver design that have only been attempted on a larger scale (pricey speaker setups), as well as the opportunity to incorporate new game-changing technologies into headphones that not only make them more convenient but also change the entire perception of what a headphone can be. Combine the two and I think there's a winning combination there. 

The main issue is the R&D cost: it'd admittedly be very difficult for a new headphone manufacturer to release a radically new headphone right out of the gate. Compromises would have to be made without adequate funding, yet if enough people believe in the idea of better sound and the possibility for headphones unlike any that have been on the market for before then perhaps the first product could help fund a bold follow-up. Which makes me a bit mad that companies with the talent and budget like Apple aren't rushing head-first into this, but rather releasing iterative products. Perhaps because nobody is truly challenging them with a bold combination of sound quality and new technology. 

Fundamentally, I'd like to explore all of the new, uncharted territory in headphone design if I can figure out how to get started as a lone designer creating one of the most ambitious headphones to be released in a long time. If I were to do this, I'd want to change the face of headphones from every aspect. Any less is a waste of time.

While I do have some manufacturing experience, I'm not even sure where to begin especially with such a radically new design. Obviously I'd want to release as perfect and high-quality of a product as possible. It's nice to have the ambition, so maybe somebody here can motivate this project :).

(There are a lot of brands doing great things in the headphone space, but through a long time searching I still feel like there isn't a headphone that reaches the potential of what can be achieved today from a technical standpoint and that hits every single mark for me. Simply, there isn't a headphone combining all of the best new technologies with a radically different sonic design. I'm interested because I believe there is room to do better, not necessarily better-sounding than the best experts in the field though that'd be nice to achieve, but something very different.)

You need a team not just yourself.  You also need a kickstarter at some point.  Check out the Smyth A16 Realiser that thing is pretty darn innovative, so is the ADEL bubble.  JH is introducing a new D.O.M.E. system in their forthcoming LOLA.  A lot of stuff is happening you just have to know where to look.

One man cannot do everything that needs to be done to create a new product. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back