I want to buy a CD player
Sep 17, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #16 of 19
Tim, you might be right -- the CD player was shipped in newspaper in a box, substandard conditions for shipping.

However, tracking problems are quite evident as such (skipping back and forth or reading an error message). Sound quality cannot be adversely affected by tracking issues without the listener immediately aware that there are tracking problems which must be resolved.

I found that the problem with the unit TimSchirmer sent me was partly a dirty laser lens -- I ran my Alsop cleaner CD through the Denon twice and most CDs work just fine now (actually don't have it with me, but this is as of the time I left home).

So to repeat, I think my comparison was likely fair. And yes, the Marantz does cost more than the Denon so it's not unlikely that it's not entirely a fair comparison. I really didn't compare to other units in the $100-200 range.

Mcrmouse, the CD players have RCA outputs which can be converted on one end to an 1/8-inch termination for use with JMT amps that have an 1/8-inch input.

By the way, Tim S., are you still planning on sending the remote?

Sep 17, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #17 of 19
Well there could be missing samples that are interpolated...but you are correct in saying the Denon-370 has an overall dark tint compared to better players and it is getting a bit dated.

I wouldn't get one today...but I am happy with my purchase at the low price I got it for new however many years ago (and no the prices didn't go down that I've last seen).

I'd be looking at the Sony CE775 because it is also an affordable changer so it is in the same class, and HDCD's will work at practically 96% of their capability in a non HDCD player, but a SACD will work at 0% in a non SACD player. Also budget Sony's tend to exhibit the opposite of being tinted.

Sep 17, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #18 of 19
well i do like all the input and here's how it stax up so far,

i really don't want to buy anything i can't listen to first. I have access to marantz, nad and denon at the two local hi fi shops in Memphis. Yes, shopping sux here. I'll be auditioning whatever players those shops have in the 200 dollar range and going with whatever sounds best. I wish i had access to the sony you guys recommended, but nobody here carries that model.

Best buy has the Sony CDP-CE275, the CDP-CE375 and the Yamaha CDC-506

Circuit City has a Kenwood CD404, a Harmon Kardon FL8380, an Onkyo DXC380 and a sony DVPNS755V

these i will also audition.

The guy at the denon shop advised against mass market decks as they would not use the good DACs that the denon 370 uses.

I guess I'm just going to go with my ears ultimately and eschew all of the claims and odd language about compactness and enlarged sound stages.

Sep 17, 2002 at 12:00 PM Post #19 of 19
very interesting thread, to say the least as i also happened to be in the market for a cd player with almost identical criteria... the difference though, is that i will be hooking the unit to
-hd580
-either one of the two : moretto HAP 03 or ASL MGHead OTL
-cardas or equinox
-outlaw PCA interconnects

keep 'em feedbacks coming
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back