I want to be Wowed again.
Sep 10, 2014 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Calcifar

New Head-Fier
Hi, my Name is Calcifar and I'm on a Quest.

Simply, I want to feel wowed again by music.

2 years back, when I first put on those ATH- 700s, I rediscovered music as a medium altogether, it was quite magical and awing really--  I might need a moment here...

Well, dispite that, I ended up with an expensive pair of DT880 premiums, with the fancy leather bag and all.
Why didnt I go with the ATH, I dont know anymore myself, I believe they were kinda uncomfy and I read too much of what others told me of needing neutral phones and all.

Well, I am really bored of my DT880s. They are accurate and neutral and precise and all that jazz, but what they dont do is make me fly.
The music comes through and its okay I guess and my Xonar essence STX should be enough to drive them well aaand thats it.

I want to go back to where these ATH 700s brought me, with an expansive soundstage, placing me right in the middle of the orchestra and the selective, airy touch, where the string instruments just take me on a journey.

So enough of my gawking, I bought a pair of AGK q701 today, so far, I am not overly taken by them.
The soundstage is there but it doesnt seem to compare to those ATH 700s back then, maybe I am looking for somethingmore airy ? Im not quite sure myself whats lacking here.

I will send these back tomorrow and so my Quest for that airy, expansive sound continues.

Now I am eyeing the ATH 900x.

Do they deliver ?

I mostly listen to instrumentals and chill- electronica and Nu- disco music.

ps. Im in the UK and am also looking to sell these DT880 premiums

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 5
If its warmth you're looking for, the phillips fidelio x1 (most bassy of the three... this may have too much for instrumentals), soundmagic hp200 (probably the least bassy), and hifiman he300.

Theres a comparison with the dt880, q701/k701, and hp200 here:
http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2013/05/soundmagic-hp200-review.html

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 5
  If its warmth you're looking for, the phillips fidelio x1 (most bassy of the three... this may have too much for instrumentals), soundmagic hp200 (probably the least bassy), and hifiman he300.

Theres a comparison with the dt880, q701/k701, and hp200 here:
http://noblehifi.blogspot.com/2013/05/soundmagic-hp200-review.html

I have no concept of what constitutes warmth in sound.

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 5

I have no concept of what constitutes warmth in sound.

This might be a helpful link:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

It really varies from person to person, but I would say a "warm sound" would have ample low and mid bass and a rolled off treble (kind of a bassy sound, so to speak).

The HD650 is a slightly warm sounding headphone that's really great sounding. I would check it out if you haven't already.

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm afraid that I may never be wowed again.  I doubt that even electrostatics could make as big a difference as the first $200 does.  It's like the difference between a new pair of glasses and the first pair of glasses: never again will it be as big a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back