I want the paradigm atoms...
Feb 28, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #106 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by geestring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea you can go from laptop 3.5mm speakers to the one on the amp...

however the laptop probably has an uninspired soundcard. Right now I'm using the recommended EMU 0404 usb.

macbook>emu 0404 usb>t-amp>atoms

Actually, believe it or not, the sound straight out of my HP nw8240 is quite good. I haven't heard the MB/MBP but out of all the other laptops I've heard, including Dells, Gateways, and other HPs of similar models, the nw8240 is the best I've heard. It actually sounds really similar to the Sony A-810 series mp3 players if you've ever heard them....

But anyway, relatively speaking, how high can I set my laptop volume without hurting either the amp or the speakers? Or what should I be listening for to prevent damage?

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #107 of 147
0404 usb --> tamp --> Atoms is going to be about as good as you can get in the price range. If the bass is overwhelming, I'd try a couple of things. First, if you can move the speakers away from the wall, that should help. Second, you might try decoupling from the desk - putting some foam padding under the speakers. Last, you might try putting a sock in the back port. I can't promise it will do any good, and it might do some bad, but it's worth a try.

Sound out of laptop sound card doesn't sound like a great idea, but we all have to make do with what we've got. Try setting at different levels and see if you get any breakup. If you get breakup, turn it down.

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #108 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound out of laptop sound card doesn't sound like a great idea, but we all have to make do with what we've got. Try setting at different levels and see if you get any breakup. If you get breakup, turn it down.

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by breakup?

Also, as a side-question, what gauge wire would be sufficient for use with the SI Gen 2 -> Atoms?

Feb 28, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #110 of 147
Alright. Thanks so much for your time, especially you geestring and classicalguy. I think I know everything I need to know once my equipment arrives.

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #111 of 147
Just to show my solidarity, I ordered a gen 2 tamp. Actually, I want it for one of my desktop systems to see if the bass rolloff has been solved AND to try out the headphone amp. If the head amp is any good, this is one of the best bargains of all time. Can work as a battery powered portable headphone amp, plus a full blown speaker amp. Maybe I'm hoping for too much, but the potential with the tripath chp is huge. I can't find any real comparison of headphone amp quality on the web - too new I guess.

So, that will leave me with one extra t-amp - old style. Here's my idea. I am using the pre-amp outs of my receiver into a t-amp to power my Celestion floor standing speakers. What if I split the left and right preamp outputs with rca 1 male to 2 female splitters, and then plugged a mini-jack to 2 RCA into each of the splitters? I could then run a separate t-amp for the left and right speakers. The speakers are bi-ampable, so I'd have a separate t-amp channel for each tweeter and mid/woofer. I could use two identical t-amps with identical power supplies. The question is whether it would sound any better?

I suspect the atoms are not the best speakers for a desktop system because of the powerful bass. They are really designed to be used on stands away from walls. This might be one use in which the old t-amps with their rolloff would have sounded better. Spaceman, you might need to apply some eq.

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #112 of 147
classicalguy: I'd like to hear your comparison between the original T-amp and the Gen 2. I was searching for info on the Gen 2 earlier today and found this thread:

diyAudio Forums Archive - Sonic Impact Gen 2 T-Amp ?

At least the first half of it is people who haven't even heard the Gen 2 ripping on it, saying "It still has cheap components and it costs more than the original?"

Then, however, towards the bottom, you'll see a mini-review by Kensai:

"I've got it, and its up and singing.

Build quality is much better. Form factor really makes it take up alot less space. I love the popout volume control used for on/off, but using the knob for volume control is not at easy as I would like (its too small and smooth).

The 2nd Gen is not a bass lightweight like the 1st Gen. In fact it has noticeably more power through the lower registers than my JVC Hybrid Feedback amp I have been using, which was significantly more powerful than the 1st Gen I had been using before it burnt out. It also seems somewhat more powerful, even though JVC rated their amp at 30wpc into 4ohm. Using Live Free or Die Hard DVD as a reference, the JVC, at maximum volume, provided what I would call reference level in my small space, theater level sound, distortion free, through explosions and whatnot. Using the 2nd Gen under the same conditions was louder, basically too loud to handle for any real period of time, even though it proved to be noticeably more clear and legible (more easily making out dialog against noise, including on example where I had not ever been able to make out a certain phrase at all using the JVC on speakers or my Grado SR-80 headphones)."

You can read the rest on the thread. He then also adds this later in another post:

"By spec, the JVC has more power, but judging by the max SPL generated by each, the 2nd Gen is the clear winner.

I doubt that burn in will make the 2nd Gen worse . . . its already the clear winner over my JVC."

Another person named djfake chimes in a few posts later with his findings as well:

"Thanks for the reply. I've got both [T-amps] right here (used an Amazon gift cert from Xmas to Parts Express), with the same PSB Alpha B's and an old Rotel CD player (nothing special).

I have to agree, the soundstage is definitely "fuller" - there's a very noticeable richness to the lower frequencies, and without a doubt, and improvement over the original T-Amp - which I'll promptly be listing on eBay!

c"

Quite promising if you ask me.

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #113 of 147
Yea, I read the thread before buying. There are a lot of people commenting who don't know ANYTHING. The reviews from people who are actually using and listening to it are all positive. The old t-amp sold generally for $35, and it cost $15 for the ps, so it was the same price as the new. And the new one comes with a better 3A not 2A ps. Obviously, you can't expect high quality cases, switches, wiring, connectors on a $50 amp. That's just unreasonable.

In addition, it sounds like they solved the bass rolloff problem and they added a headphone circuit. So the people complaining about the price going up are just wrong.

There is really no information yet about the headphone amp. That's the big question mark. I will compare when it arrives. The only headphone amp I have is an old little headroom, but it cost more than the entire t-amp, and all it does is headphone amplification. You can't run it on batteries. While I don't think the headroom is s a great headphone amp, if the gen 2 matches the headphone quality of the headroom it will make the purchase even that much more compelling. Running off the T chip sounds very promising.

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #114 of 147
Quote:

There is really no information yet about the headphone amp. That's the big question mark. I will compare when it arrives. The only headphone amp I have is an old little headroom, but it cost more than the entire t-amp, and all it does is headphone amplification. You can't run it on batteries. While I don't think the headroom is s a great headphone amp, if the gen 2 matches the headphone quality of the headroom it will make the purchase even that much more compelling. Running off the T chip sounds very promising.

I concur. I can't wait to hear your conclusion when you get your Gen 2.

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #116 of 147
Thanks for writing that review, classicalguy.

So I guess the headphone out is neither amazing nor disappointing considering it's just an added plus to an already awesome little package. At least it for sure doesn't sound worse than the original T-amp.

I'm going home from college this weekend. My amp has already arrived there, and my Paradigm Atoms should be there by the end of the week. I will post what I find when I have played around with both for a little while.

Just a quick question before then: Is there anything I should really try not to do because it will quickly ruin either my speakers and/or amp? Or is it pretty hard to do so?

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #117 of 147
Other than shorting the speaker outputs, it's hard to think of something that is going to harm your equipment. Make sure the equipment is off when hooking it up. Start up at low volume and turn up slowly. That's about it. This stuff is pretty hard to break.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #118 of 147
Quote:

Other than shorting the speaker outputs, it's hard to think of something that is going to harm your equipment. Make sure the equipment is off when hooking it up. Start up at low volume and turn up slowly. That's about it. This stuff is pretty hard to break.

Very, very good to hear. I'll let you know how I like my Gen 2 -> Atoms this weekend.

EDIT: ...or not. Apparently, they're on special order from Paradigm because I chose the rosenut finish (
confused.gif
I thought rosenut was the popular color and that they'd be able to ship them right out, but I guess not). The store I ordered them from is hoping (hoping) to have them shipped to my house by next week Friday.
frown.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #119 of 147
Quote:

I suspect the atoms are not the best speakers for a desktop system because of the powerful bass. They are really designed to be used on stands away from walls. This might be one use in which the old t-amps with their rolloff would have sounded better. Spaceman, you might need to apply some eq.

I mostly agree with this. They are rear ported and if you get them too close to the wall you get a sorta nasty mid-bass bump. I have had these for about a month being driven by a 20w tube amp, imac to external DAC.

Anyway, I really like the speakers, but I think I'm going to audition some Usher 520's next week and maybe sell the Paradigms. The Ushers are front ported and can be placed on the wall.

I don't know much about t-amps, but these Atoms are very efficient and my 20w tube has NO problem driving them loud, especially in near-field.

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #120 of 147
I'm interested in the comparison between usher and atom v5. Ushers are more expensive too, which is also a consideration. How far from the back wall do you need to move the atoms to avoid the mid-bass bump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back