I want the paradigm atoms...
Feb 23, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #61 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
moseboy: amps are cleaner. They don't have all that other stuff adding noise and distortion.

Alright, so for driving the Paradigm Atoms, something like the T-amp would be fine?

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #63 of 147
Quote:

Using the high-level inputs is "better" because the wire is cheaper? This is head-fi. Sound quality through high-level inputs is seriously impaired.

moseboy: amps are cleaner. They don't have all that other stuff adding noise and distortion. But all amps and all receivers are not created equal. I've been very impressed with the Panasonic sa-xr55/57 true digital receiver. It has full bass management and sounds great using the digital inputs. Analog inputs are not so good. So it depends on your source. Most inexpensive receivers sound pretty bad.

Some subs, like my own employ a HF cutoff only when using the high level inputs, and with mini-monitors that's usually better because you take away the lower freqs from the monitors for which they struggle with. If I used the low level inputs there wouldn't be that 80hz cut off and with speakers like paradigm atoms you don't want them stressing to play below that. I've done some tests on my system which is fairly modest, and high level vs low level really has no detriment either way besides the fact that high level sounds better because of the HF filter. I could maybe see your point with a more expensive system, but we're talking paradigm atoms and a "inexpensive receiver" here aren't we? Just my 2 cents, not looking to argue.

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #64 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by alleyezon_d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can also find a sub with high-level inputs/outputs (speaker type inputs and outputs) which means the chain would be:

amp (speaker out) --> sub (speaker in) --> sub (speaker out) --> Speakers

So in this setup, is this assuming the speakers are daisy chained together?

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #65 of 147
I don't understand what you mean by daisy chain, sorry! basically its L and R out of amp to sub, to speakers. Not sure if that's clear, I'm sure I can find a diagram somewhere online, or usually it will come with the sub's manual if it supports that.

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #66 of 147
Quote:

I don't understand what you mean by daisy chain, sorry! basically its L and R out of amp to sub, to speakers. Not sure if that's clear, I'm sure I can find a diagram somewhere online, or usually it will come with the sub's manual if it supports that.

Oh, yeah. Duh, I'm stupid. For some reason, I thought the sub had mono out. Sorry.

So which sub do you have?

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #67 of 147
I own a Definitive Technology ProSub 80. It's not in production anymore I don't think, and I'm not sure what it was replaced with. But I find it very good, very musical. It uses a 8" driver which allows it to keep up and be fast and I'm also surprised at how far down it reaches while still sounding good.

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #68 of 147
moseboy, are you located in the USA? If so, take a look at onix's x-ls. Last I know they were $200 for a pair with money back guarantee. My friend has them, and they are stellar for their price, I would say they're as good as Paradigm mini-monitors I used to have (which are a few steps above the atom). Not sure how their prices have changed since then, but check them out. AV123.com - Home

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #69 of 147
I don't think you can use a t-amp through the high-level sub inputs. I don't understand the problem, but I believe there is one. Here is a product that enables the use of high-level speaker inputs and discusses the problem:

T-amp subwoofer connector

As for high v. low level, you obviously need to have a proper cutoff. But the sub manufacturers and everyone I've ever heard from who knows speaker design says to avoid using high-level sub daisy chain because it messes with the signal. This box may avoid the problem by not daisy-chaining through the sub. It's really not an ideal solution. Tamp is not made for using a sub.

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #70 of 147
Quote:

Tamp is not made for using a sub.

I just don't know what my options are then if I don't want to spend more than ~$100 on an amp alone and still be able to eventually hook up a sub to it.

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #71 of 147
Quote:

moseboy, are you located in the USA? If so, take a look at onix's x-ls. Last I know they were $200 for a pair with money back guarantee. My friend has them, and they are stellar for their price, I would say they're as good as Paradigm mini-monitors I used to have (which are a few steps above the atom). Not sure how their prices have changed since then, but check them out. AV123.com - Home

I am in the USA. I will check those out shortly and report back. Thanks.

EDIT: AV123.com - x-ls encore Monitor Loudspeaker

Apparently the price went up $100 since then, now costing $300. How are they better than the v.5 Atom?

Feb 24, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #72 of 147
I just read your initial post, and I have to say, you're not going to get the same quality of sound from these budget monitors as you do from your Shure SE530's. I myself own a pair of Audio Techinca A900's which retail for roughly $200, and they are close to my speaker/amp setup which costs almost 10X that. So if you're looking for speakers that cost less than your IEMs that sound as good, I'm afraid you're being too hopeful. At that price range you'll get a different presentation (sound infront of you instead of sound in your head), but it definitely won't sound as good. I think the NSM Model 5's + a decent amp like a NAD C325BEE might come close, but under that price range I can't say too much.

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #73 of 147
Quote:

I just read your initial post, and I have to say, you're not going to get the same quality of sound from these budget monitors as you do from your Shure SE530's.

That's understandable. However, keep in mind I use my SE530's straight out of my laptop: no amp, no external sound card, and I still think it sounds great. I guess my question is, knowing that, what will I be losing the most going from my SE530's to these budget monitors besides bass?

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #74 of 147
"I just don't know what my options are then if I don't want to spend more than ~$100 on an amp alone and still be able to eventually hook up a sub to it."

The ONLY decent amps I know of under $100 are t-amps. If you want a good digital receiver with bass management for a sub then you'll have to pay more. You may be able to find a Panasonic sa-xr55 for $150 - great product with digital inputs. Maybe someday we'll get some high quality digital amps with bass management under $100, but to my knowledge there are none yet.

As for the comment about budget speakers not giving the sound quality of headphones, I have to disagree. Headphones excel at some aspects of sound quality but are terrible at others: principally soundstage and long term comfort. Overall, I think the experience of listening to a quality but inexpensive speaker system properly set-up far surpasses the experience of headphone listening. I'm sure others will disagree, but at best it is a debatable point because both have tradeoffs.

If I were you, I would get a t-amp with a proper powersupply and enjoy the speakers. If you later need a sub, you can decide between finding a sub that will work with a common ground, buying a box that fixes the common ground issue, getting a preamp and using low level passthrough, or getting a digital receiver or different amp. We're talking about a $50 or less purchase - no point in agonizing too much over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back