I want the best way to play my cds.
May 20, 2010 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

The Fire Snake

Head-Fier
I am pretty new to high end audio and I need some help.  I need a good source which gives me great audio quality from my Cds.  I think I want to have a standalone unit instead of using my computer.  Should I be looking at receivers, cd players, blueray players, dvd players, what?  I am confused.  Please help and give me some of your wise advice.  Thanks.

May 20, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 15
One component of a good CD player is a good DAC (CD's are in digital), all the CD players come with a built in DAC... so maybe you'll need an upgrade over the uDAC. Beyond that, there's not much more, people will argue all day about CD transports (CD players without an built in DAC) and their merits... 

May 20, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 15
High end CD player, alternatively a CD transport with separate DAC.

May 20, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 15
Seperate DAC and a dedicated computer or squeezebox or something like that; much more flexibility; allows you to not only listen by album (as a CDP forces you) but also by genre, playlist, artist etc.
My squeezebox+Dac (see sign) was cheaper then the 1000,- player they replaced and it sounds much much better.

May 20, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 15
There is something to be said for playing an entire album, right?  Sure...a computer based source can do this, but many times I find I have to force myself to not skip albums after a couple of songs when using my audio-PC.  Many times I find myself using the random play function.  It is a new toy, so maybe the novelty will wear off and I'll find myself listening to more complete albums.  Another drawback or benefit depending on how you look at it with a dedicated CD player is much fewer opportunities to "tweak".

My recommendation for you is a high-end CD player.

I, however chose the PC route and am pretty happy. My audio-only PC and a new dac cost me ~$1000 split 60/40 DAC/PC.  It can be used as a CD player/ripper/burner.  I no longer have a CD player in my system.  It is a nice option.

The squeezebox option does not appeal to me.

New gear is fun no matter which direction you choose.

Enjoy!

May 25, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 15
I have a marantz cd5001 cd player (the model before cd5003) and i mainly use it as a transport to my headroom ultra micro stack,which is my preffered (and best) rig.  it does a great and reliable job at reading cd's and it is good looking also,massive...you realize it is a great product just from looking at it.  it's got a cirrus logic cs4392 24/192 dac (the ultra micro is cs4398,also upsampling)
it also got a good built in headphone amp if you want to listen from it directly listening to cd's.
I am using it for two days straight driving my M50 and it sounds very good. it also drive the HD650 effortlessly.   it's got all the outputs one's need,analog and digital.   very recommended..if you can find it,it is also darn cheap because it is a discontinued model.

May 25, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 15

A player with analogue and digital out is the way to go then you can use the built in dac or an external one.

There has never been a better time to buy used CD players,you can pick up very good ones for a fraction of there new price.

May 25, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 15
Why? You might be better advised to rip your CDs to FLAC and playing them via Foobar2000.

All CD transports are substantially the same. They either read the digital file or they don't.

Most people buy a separate DAC because it is convienient but it is debatable whether they could tell the difference between that and the on board sound on a modern motherboard.

If you really want the very best in optical drives consider an Oppo universal player http://www.oppodigital.com/

This costs about $500 but you can buy the same thing from AYRE (DX-5), the only difference is the box it comes in, for several thousand dollars more. Lexicon (DB-30) have tried exactly the same trick. It's all digital. Don't waste your money. Buy better headphones or speakers instead.

May 25, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:

My squeezebox+Dac (see sign) was cheaper then the 1000,- player they replaced and it sounds much much better.

While my reference system has a dedicated cdp, for casual listening, I use a boulder modded squeezebox and boulder ps w/ separate dac and it beats many cps I have owned.  Another really good option is a used logitech transporter, then you don't need a separate dac.  I'm moving more digital since I struggle with the thought of shelling big money ($1500+) for a cdp that might need a new laser/transport down the road.

May 25, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
There is something to be said for playing an entire album, right?  Sure...a computer based source can do this, but many times I find I have to force myself to not skip albums after a couple of songs when using my audio-PC.  Many times I find myself using the random play function.  It is a new toy, so maybe the novelty will wear off and I'll find myself listening to more complete albums.  

Sounds like you need to get some vinyl! 

May 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #15 of 15
A decent CD player gets my vote. (It does not have to be ultra high-end because most of them are a rip-off IMHO). Something from a down-to-earth British company is likely to be a good place to start looking... Rega, Creek, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back