I want something quieter than SE530s
Oct 25, 2007 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

tom10167

100+ Head-Fier
Okay. They're fine unamped out of an Ipod. At the absolute lowest volume they're still too loud for me in quiet environments, but it isn't unbearable most of the time.

Amped they are just WAY too loud with my Hornet, YES THE GAIN IS SET TO LOW. Like if I'm in my car or something they're okay, but if I'm just sitting at my desk forget it.

So do I need a different amp or different phones?

I'm 2 clicks away from UE-11s. Are these quieter? Anyone know?

I'm not going down in sound quality either.

Thanks!

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 23
i don't know but let us know about those ue11's. supposively the UE people even think the ue10's are better but the whole YMMV factor has my brain clickin.

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 23
I don't understand the issue here. You are saying it is not possible to turn the volume down low enough (on either your iPod or your Hornet) when using SE530s? The sound is still too loud?

What do you mean when you say they are too loud? This isn't making sense to me.

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 23
Solution:

Pop in some crazy metal CD in a 2 channel system and turn volume all the way up.

Then place head right next to it for about 10 mins, or until your ears start bleeding.

This should make it sound much quieter.

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom10167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct on the first part.

I guess I am being completely dense. You cannot set the volume on your iPod all the way down to total silence? And same with your amp? I have an iRiver H-120 and the volume on it can go from total silence (sans noise floor) to far too loud. My CMoy can also be adjusted from total silence (indeed) to far too loud.

Correction: I cannot adjust by CMoy to total silence. Interesting. But, I can do this with my H-120. I guess the iPod cannot be set that low?

I'm surprised you cannot adjust it to be quiet enough.

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 23
He means his 530's are too sensitive.

Oct 25, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I am being completely dense. You cannot set the volume on your iPod all the way down to total silence? And same with your amp? I have an iRiver H-120 and the volume on it can go from total silence (sans noise floor) to far too loud. My CMoy can also be adjusted from total silence (indeed) to far too loud.

Correction: I cannot adjust by CMoy to total silence. Interesting. But, I can do this with my H-120. I guess the iPod cannot be set that low?

I'm surprised you cannot adjust it to be quiet enough.

Okay. Like. If you roll the volume to absolute nothing I hear no sound. Except the hiss from the SE530s. When you go just a hair on the volume it's too loud. It's not like on the amp where I can gradually go from like 0db to 3db to 5db or something.

The volume on the Ipod wheel goes from 0 to x where x is a number that is too loud.

The amp would be fine except at any reasonable volume level for me the left channel is completely gone.

I guess this is normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back