I want some good under 100 dollar headphones
Oct 6, 2006 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

MonkeysAteMe

100+ Head-Fier
Here's what ranks most important to me(in order)

Sound Quality
Durability
Comfort

From my research I have narrowed it down to either Grado sr60/890's or Sennheider hd 280's (pro I believe). Headphonerevies.org gave hd 280's alot better ratings than the sr's, but it seems alot more people use the Grado's.

Are there any other headphones I should look into? Which is the better pair between the two?

Here are the Genres I mainly listen to.

Rock
Folk/Country
Punk
Oldies/Soul

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 25
You may want to scan down a bit to the thread titled "Alessandro music series one MS-1 fanclub!"
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 25
Your folk/country, oldies/soul will sound better on the Grados. Your rock and punk will sound better on the 280's

The Grado's will give you better detail and clarity, but thin bass and the 280's will give you better hit, with not as much top end detail.

Then Senn's will be more comfortable as well IMO cause the Grados sit directl on your ears.

Get em both on amazon and you are still under 175$

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 25
Isn't different opinions a great thing. I feel the 280 pros, yes I own a set, can't hold a candle to the SR 60s. For under 1 bill I would pick the 60's over the 280s in a NY minute. I also find the Grados just as comfortable .

Oct 7, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 25
The MS1 might the best headphone under $100 for your music. They are IMO not very good for durability and comfort tho.

I heard the HD280 are a bit too sterile for rock.

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er
The MS1 might the best headphone under $100 for your music. They are IMO not very good for durability and comfort tho.

I heard the HD280 are a bit too sterile for rock.

I can't really comment about Grado/Alessandro durability since I only use my MS-1s and MS2i at home and treat them very carefully.

The MS-1s though can be very comfortable if a bit of pad rolling is accomplished. I have managed to get up to fourteen hours almost non-stop in a "re-discover all my CDs" marathon here a few weeks ago while wearing my heavier and slightly less comfortable MS2i with the infamous "bowl" pads installed. And that ain't bad!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeysAteMe
Here are the Genres I mainly listen to.

Rock
Folk/Country
Punk
Oldies/Soul

Seems to be MS1 territory.

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 25
Do you guys know where I could get the ms-1's online?

Will the sound quality on these, with a decent computer soundcard and High bitrate(OGG) songs, be a significant step up from koss portapros?

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeysAteMe
Do you guys know where I could get the ms-1's online?

Will the sound quality on these, with a decent computer soundcard and High bitrate(OGG) songs, be a significant step up from koss portapros?

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

and yes.

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 25
The PP's were my MS1's predecessors. Very big step up. Exclusivly available here.

Oct 7, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 25
MS1s sound quite remarkably better than the "redneck" K81s. But the step is not as overwhelming as from the PPs to the MS1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back