I want some desktop speakers . . . beginner questions:
Apr 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

curtisinoc

100+ Head-Fier
My current setup:  
iMac > NuForce Icon HDP via usb > headphones

I want to connect some external desktop speakers (2 speakers) to the HDP and control the volume with the HDP (using the HDP as a preamp . .  is that what it's called??)

Questions:
1.  Should I be looking for "passive speakers" or "active/powered" speakers??? (getting confused with this here . . 
confused.gif
)
2.  Once I choose my speakers, will connecting look like this:  HDP RCA output > speakers ??
3.. I'm willing to spend up to $400 and would like a "fun" set of speakers with a good bass.  Can you share some recommendations?  

The speakers will be sitting on my computer desk next to my 27" iMac, so I don't need them to be HUGE, but wondering what to start looking for . . . 

Thanks

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 35
2 of these will cost you $300:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rokit5G2/

Many of the reviews on that site seem to have been written by epileptic fanboys, but you are unlikely to pick up an amp+passive speakers combination (new) that will give you this sort of joy (even allowing for my cynicism..):

These were the first studio monitors I ever purchased, and I was and still am blown away by how great they are. For just $150 each, these are worth every penny and many more. They have an incredible bass response, and crystal clear highs. I run through out of my Apogee Duet, and it's clear as can be. I absolutely love these monitors, and recommend them to ANYONE looking for a pair of monitors under $300 that doesn't want to sacrifice sound quality. These are amazing!

Just be aware that many studio monitors will be ruthless with your source material and the DAC in the Nuforce. I've never heard the Rokits so I look forward to your impressions. (spend the remaining $100 on beer - it will definitely help while you wait for your new speakers to settle in). 

If none of the above appeals, you still have the trusty AudioEngines - not sure if its just me, but they seem to dominate most desktops - I think the Rokit is a smaller enclosure. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 35
I don't have experience buying brands of active monitors, I built my own. What your looking for is "active" which means the crossover is before the amplifiers, (using multiple amps per speaker) commercially they build them into the speaker cabinet. The speaker are generally called "monitors", what they use for making music in the studio, so yeah should be accurate sounding. You might be happy with passive but then you have to buy a stereo amp to power them. More desk clutter and less generally less good crossovers and power. Using active amps works like this you have say 50watts for the midwoofer and 27watts for the tweeter so you think you have 77watts per speaker right? Wrong! effectively you have 154watts per speaker!

Behringer is a good bang for buck brand their at least worth considering.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 35
I don't have experience buying brands of active monitors, I built my own. What your looking for is "active" which means the crossover is before the amplifiers, (using multiple amps per speaker) commercially they build them into the speaker cabinet. The speaker are generally called "monitors", what they use for making music in the studio, so yeah should be accurate sounding. You might be happy with passive but then you have to buy a stereo amp to power them. More desk clutter and less generally less good crossovers and power. Using active amps works like this you have say 50watts for the midwoofer and 27watts for the tweeter so you think you have 77watts per speaker right? Wrong! effectively you have 154watts per speaker! Behringer is a good bang for buck brand their at least worth considering.

"You might be happy with passive but then you have to buy a stereo amp to power them."

I'll be connecting the speakers to my nuforce hdp, if I choose passive speakers. Will that work??

I guess my main question is this: since whichever speakers I decide to buy will be connected to my HDP, will either passive or active speakers work? And if so, which should I get and why?

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 35

Quote:
"You might be happy with passive but then you have to buy a stereo amp to power them."
I'll be connecting the speakers to my nuforce hdp, if I choose passive speakers. Will that work??
I guess my main question is this: since whichever speakers I decide to buy will be connected to my HDP, will either passive or active speakers work? And if so, which should I get and why?

if you run passive you still need to buy an amp, you can't run speakers of your headphone amp directly. I saw the specs of your unit it has 'rca out', you can use that with any speakers active or passive. Use the USB as your input to your NuForce.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 35

Quote:

if you run passive you still need to buy an amp, you can't run speakers of your headphone amp directly. I saw the specs of your unit it has 'rca out', you can use that with any speakers active or passive. Use the USB as your input to your NuForce.

Okay . .  Thinking about getting the AudioEngine A5+ 

Connection question from HDP with A5+:

Does this sound correct:
1.  iMac > HDP via USB
2.  HDP RCA out to A5+ RCA in (left speaker)
3.  Connect A5+ left speaker to right with speaker cable 

Will this allow me to control volume from my HDP?

Thanks again

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 35
Are you sure you want to go for the A5's?
Estreeter proposed some nice speakers to consider..
Getting the A5's instead of the Rokits  is like you are choosing a Fiat over a Porche..

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 35
Yep, RCA to RCA on A5+, and control volume on the HPD. I had a similar setup with a DAC/AMP combo, and A2 speakers. 

The A5+ are nice and musical, though don't expect miracles. Placement will determine a lot, with the rear ports. Regarding the Rokits and other studio monitors, for sure they will be ruthless with your source material. Not so much with the AudioEngines. Also, yellow? It might please the fanboys, but not me. I had a hell of a time trying to find a small studio monitor with a more traditional look, before I settled for the Adam A3x.

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #11 of 35
Are you sure you want to go for the A5's?
Estreeter proposed some nice speakers to consider..
Getting the A5's instead of the Rokits  is like you are choosing a Fiat over a Porche..

Actually, I'm not SURE yet on which speakers to buy, including the A5+'s. Estreeter's Rokits recommendation and other Studio Monitors kinda scare me for the fact that they may sound "unforgiving" with some of my music on my computer. I have over 40,000 tracks (iMac>iTunes>mostly 320kbps) and lots weren't from the best masters/recordings. I guess I don't want my desktop speakers to be as "over-analytical" and more "fun" and "musical" like Garfleonard stated.

That being said, I'm still on the hunt for my speakers. I like the looks and review of the AudioEngine A5+, but have not actually heard them. They cost $399 on Amazon, which is about the most I'm willing to spend. I'm gonna wait through the weekend and hope to get more recommendations on this thread before making my purchase.

I appreciate all (and future) feedback

thanks

edit: Although I'm looking for a 2 speaker set up (no room for subwoofer), I'm hoping to get some good BASS with the speakers I buy

AudioEngine A5+ = $399 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OA3BSY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_g23_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0T33PEDADMH5Z64QXPHG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

M-Audio AV-40 = $115.12 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051WAM64/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_g267_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=07M8X0EJW4WCZ424RN4J&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Pretty big price jump between the two . . . . is there that much of a jump in quality as well???

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 35
Just be careful with M-Audio - some people swear by them and even more people swear at them. I agree with your concerns about the studio monitors, but they are designed  to be revealing - better to know that upfront than find out after you have bought them.  Even within that domain, there seem to 'crossover' speakers that make the studio crowd AND audiophiles happy, but again many audiophiles want resolution over warmth - its a balancing act. Dynaudio make active and passive versions of the same speakers, but I suspect that they are over your budget. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 35
Ill give you a little heads up, a few months back I called Guitar Center and ended up with Rokit 6 FG edition for under $300 after taxes. If they still have them available (the FG are discontinued limited editions) they will probably give you that price. The FG actually look nice in person much better than the yellow ones at least. And I feel that the Rokits have no problem with crapy quality music they are not exactly high end monitors, I think my slightly more expensive previous passive system may have been more accurate. These are much better than the A5 (never heard the A5+) which sound like a boomy ipod dock to me but also don't sound nearly as good or accurate as the Adam A3x. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #15 of 35
Quick question on the Rokits (and other studio monitors):

How do you connect these to an amp/dac like mine - NuForce Icon HDP? (sorry for noob-like question . . .  this connection stuff is confusing to me)
1.  Each speaker needs to plugged into power - check
2.  From HDP RCA out to single jack RCA/Unbalanced in?? (need adaptor, I'm assuming) . . .  but how do I connect both speakers to the HDP?

Question #2: (NuForce Icon HDP + AudioEngine A5+)
If connected like this: HDP RCA out > A5+ RCA in, which amp will be used to power the speakers? HDP or the A5's built in amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back