I want slide guitar proposals
Jan 31, 2004 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Anders K.

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I´m looking for music with slided guitar. One example is the music by Ry Cooder in the movie Southern Comfort. Another example is Max Lässer (Swiss guitarist) in the song Ry´s Blues on the record Different Kind of Blue. Yet another example is Ray Montford´s song Shadows on his record Many Roads.
I prefer acoustic, instrumental music. But not exlusively, so all recommendations are welcome.

Thanks
600smile.gif

Jan 31, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 21
Allman Brothers Band is all you need to know. Look for their live albums especially. I have been listening to their newest releases non stop. The latest releases are live concerts from 1970: Allman Brothers Band Live at the Atlanta International Pop Festival July 3&5, 1970 and The Filmore Concerts Deluxe Edition. The recording quality is better on the Filmore Concert release but the playing is superb on both. The Atlanta release has some great songs not on the Filmore Concert release. Their latest studio release is very good as well.
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 21
Fine suggestions so far.

Another you might look for is a compilation CD put out by Columbia in 1990 as part of their "Roots n' Blues" series. It is titled:

The Slide Guitar Bottles, Knives and Steel

and Anders as I am in such a good mood today here is another thread from a while back that you may enjoy:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ide+and+guitar

I can listen to the old acoustic slide guitar players for hours so I hope you can find some of the recommendations.

Jan 31, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 21
sacd lover:
Thanks for your recommendations. I will check them out.

john_jcb:
Thanks for the thread and your good mood
tongue.gif
I will read it and note the records that seems interesting.

/Anders

Jan 31, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 21
Robert Randolph and the Family Band-- Unclassified, and Live at the Wetlands. Incredible!

Jan 31, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 21
Alright so far most "dirty blues"
wink.gif
and Rock´n Roll Hoochie Coochie
biggrin.gif
How about some New Age, Jazz, Folk, Country, Mixed styles, more open wide slide
cool.gif
? Keep suggestions coming
tongue.gif

Thanks

Jan 31, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 21
I'd recommend Kelly Joe Phelps - try The Shine Eyed Mister Zen or Slingshot Professionals.

A excellent acoustic blues cd that features a lot of slide guitar is Collin James' cd National Steel.

Don't forget Elmore James, one of the orginial great slide guitarist, The Sky is Crying is a very good introduction.

The Derek Trucks Band - Joyful Noise or Soul Serenade are both very good. Trucks is an amazing player, his cds with his own band are more jazz/fusion oriented. Much different then the work he does with the Allman Brothers.

Second markl's recommendation for Robert Randolph, he plays a pedal steel guitar and is freakin amazing. I can't wait to get the chance to see him live.

Ben Harper also plays a lap steel guitar and is a very good.

Some others to explore,

Robert Johnson - The Complete Robert Johnson,
Johnny Winter - Guitar Slinger,
Bonnie Raitt - Road Tested,
Muddy Waters - The Best of Muddy Waters,
Hound Dog Taylor - Hound Dog Taylor and the House Rockers

Lots to explore, have fun.

Jan 31, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 21
How about Bruce Kaphan's Slider . Slide pedal steel.....very cool.
cool.gif

Jan 31, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 21
Derek Trucks Band is worth a second mention. He is a masterful slide and blues guitarist. I recommend getting Soul Serenade, which is mostly instumental. Greg Allmann does vocals on one song and it rocks.

Jan 31, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
cool.gif

Yes, I found some samples at Amazon. Sounds like my bag of music
tongue.gif

Thanks
/Anders

Jan 31, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 21
I thought of someone else, CeDell Davis - he plays an old, old style slide blues, upside down with a butterknife!!! He sounds kind of off (out of tune) but he becomes more and more interesting with repeated listens.

There's also an Indian guy whose name escapes me at the moment - he worked a lot with Ry Cooder, and won a Grammy with him (I think?) V.M. Bhatt or something like that. He plays this modified archtop like a madman.

Feb 1, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #14 of 21
I love the Allman Brothers and Johnny Winter too.

With regard to Duane Allman, he was guest guitarist on the first solo and pre-disco Boz Skaggs album (just after he left the early Steve Miller Band) and both he and the album are excellent.

Feb 1, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #15 of 21
slider01.jpg

You beat me to it! This is a great album. Wish he would put out more. If you like that one spaceman you should try and find the Hearts of Space program "On Wings of Steel". That got me on the whole kick. I've got it on minidisc.

http://www.hos.com/playlists/1994/04.29.html

Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back