I want over the ear / in ear to be comfortable, help me choose a pair . Big ears, big head.
Jan 28, 2015 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ActiveTechREV

New Head-Fier
I want to switch over to some over the ear headphones used primairly for writing and the occasional workout. I have some in ear headphones that are more for listening to books, podcasts and YouTube videos.

I would really like something that shuts out the world allows me to immerse into what im listening to.

I was seaeching for a wirelwss option, but based on my experience (or lack of) over ear are really uncomfortable. Im wondering if its because my ears are too big or just sensitive. Im wondering if i would gind headphones big enough so they dont clamp my earlobes down.

Im starting to give up on the wireless idea, but willing to try stuff out.

Ive tried the photive bth3 and as i type this im wearing the jabra revo. They sound good but i cant wait to take them off. I think its because my earlobes press against my head and create to much heat.

Im considering the pendulumic stance, back beat pro, dt770 and ath m50.

My budget is $200 or better.

Thanks ind advance.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 10
Headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Sizing and sensitivities are unique to each person.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable. The DT 770 with its large ear cups and other design features is generally considered to be a very comfortable can.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 10
I was seaeching for a wirelwss option, but based on my experience (or lack of) over ear are really uncomfortable. Im wondering if its because my ears are too big or just sensitive. Im wondering if i would gind headphones big enough so they dont clamp my earlobes down.

If that's your photo in your avatar, I'm guessing it has to do with both the size of your earlobes and their angle. Your ears are angled forward, like a cat trying to find a rat or a dog at attention. My ears are flatter, and my aunt has issues getting facial recognition-friendly passport photo (they require earlobes to be visible, but hers are flat enough that any hair style that doesn't look like a boy's short hair will hide her ears).

My budget is $200 or better.

You're usually supposed to give a figure as an upper limit, otherwise people might end up giving you advice on "better" headphones far out of your budget ceiling. With your requirements taken into account, some might say $1,200 custom IEMs (since they can't exactly fit a headphone around your ears, but an audiologist can get a mold of your ear canals).

Im considering the pendulumic stance, back beat pro, dt770 and ath m50.

Again, this is difficult since we don't have actual measurements of your ears, not to mention how they're worn on the head affects the angle and thus the individual fit. Generally though I'd say go for larger oblong headphones like the Brainwavz HM5 - round headphones need to be larger to accommodate a larger surface area earlobe, while an oblong headphone driver housing tends to follow the shape of the ears. Note though you have to check the sizes - teh Shure SRH-1xxx are too small for me despite how they look similar to the HD600 when you look at photos.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 10
I returned the jabra revos and photive bth3 today and pulled the trigger on the dt 770 pro 80ohm.  Ears fit pretty good but after about 40 minutes I'm running into clamping force on my cheek bones.  I'm hoping I can stretch these out over night on a pillow. Thanks again.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 10
Try putting books in between them
smily_headphones1.gif

that's a better idea!!! thanks.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 10
The Sennheiser HD 598 is in your stated price range, sounds terrific, and is also known to be broadly quite comfortable by people on this site. It is, however, an open design, which may not be your preference. Still, KG Jag's comments are true--you have to try any prospective HP on for awhile to see how they work for you. This is one reason I like amazon, which has a liberal return policy.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Thought about the hd598 but went to guitar center and picked up the Dt 770 pro  80ohm.  When i was in store they were great.  Cup sizes were just big enough to allow my ear to fit and roam in side without being pressed down, but I got a new problem with them.  They have some clamping pressure and it's uncomfortable after 45 mins (an improvement over the others I've tested). However, they sound fantastic. Not perfect of course, but miles above what I'm use to.  Last night I put them around a stack of books, it stretched up out a bit  but still having issues.

They tend to press against my cheek bone when they are too forward.  When they are too back they press against my temple.  There seems to be a spot somewhere in the middle that is tolerable but the issues seems to be my sensitive head and ears, which are slightly larger than average.

They aren't as loud as Id like especially in the environment I work in (commercial gym), but enough.  I ordered the creative e1 headphone amp and am going to try them out. I'll give them at least a week.

I'm also going to discount the issue today because I did wake up with a mild headache.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 10
You may need to stretch them out on a box or pillows for more than one night--may need to do it for several consecutive nights. This might reduce clamp pressure enough to make them wearable for more than 45 mins. Lots of people have issues with clamp force on their cans--you aren't alone. Hang in there with them. Can't go wrong with the DT 770, though, on performance--they're terrific. Good luck. Oh, and if they aren't tolerable after awhile, return to this board and we will try to assist with more suggestions.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 10
Okay cool thanks a bunch!  I'm a little concerned about over stretching them. Should I be?  I guess at this point it's doesn't matter but any suggestions on how much to stretch them. I was doing books about the width of my head, maybe a little wider.  Is that too much or enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back