I want my headphones to light up! Help me!!
Nov 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

eggy

New Head-Fier
So I have decided for my next project to create a pair of headphones that light up, to use for when I'm DJing.

The problem is that I'm not very good at taking my ideas and actually applying them... I'm also not that great with my hands, so I don't want a mod that is going to be extremely technical. Here is what I was thinking

1. Use EL wire (The problem is it makes a whining sound which I absolutely hate)
2. Use LEDs (I'm not sure how I could do this without making the phones look like a christmas tree)

I definitely want the headphone cable to light up (I'm guessing this would be impossible with a coiled cable?), and if possible I would like to integrate some lighting into the headphones. 

I know this kind of thing is basically the headphone equivalent of putting neons under a car, BUT, my justification is that a) this isn't illegal, and b) I've never seen it before, save some crappy youtube videos; if done right I think it could look really good.

If any of the more technically-inclined members would be kind enough to share their thoughts I would really appreciate it! Or, if there are any members who offer a service like this, I would love to be directed to them.

Thanks,

Eggy

Nov 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 10
  So I have decided for my next project to create a pair of headphones that light up, to use for when I'm DJing.

The problem is that I'm not very good at taking my ideas and actually applying them... I'm also not that great with my hands, so I don't want a mod that is going to be extremely technical. Here is what I was thinking

1. Use EL wire (The problem is it makes a whining sound which I absolutely hate)
2. Use LEDs (I'm not sure how I could do this without making the phones look like a christmas tree)

I definitely want the headphone cable to light up (I'm guessing this would be impossible with a coiled cable?), and if possible I would like to integrate some lighting into the headphones. 

I know this kind of thing is basically the headphone equivalent of putting neons under a car, BUT, my justification is that a) this isn't illegal, and b) I've never seen it before, save some crappy youtube videos; if done right I think it could look really good.

If any of the more technically-inclined members would be kind enough to share their thoughts I would really appreciate it! Or, if there are any members who offer a service like this, I would love to be directed to them.

Thanks,

Eggy

Actually with a coiled calbe... maybe you could run a LED Light wire through the Coil... maybe... attempt to have almost a rubber band at teh ends or something elastic to attach to the end of the LIGHT rope thing... that way if your strecthing the cable the LED won't tear ... kinda jerry rigged but it might work... maybe 

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 10
  Actually with a coiled calbe... maybe you could run a LED Light wire through the Coil... maybe... attempt to have almost a rubber band at teh ends or something elastic to attach to the end of the LIGHT rope thing... that way if your strecthing the cable the LED won't tear ... kinda jerry rigged but it might work... maybe 

I get what you're saying -- run the strip through the center of the coil? I like the idea because it allows the coil to stretch without ripping the cable, but I really want to make this look as OEM as possible. I feel like that would be really hard to do with a coiled cable.

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 10

I get what you're saying -- run the strip through the center of the coil? I like the idea because it allows the coil to stretch without ripping the cable, but I really want to make this look as OEM as possible. I feel like that would be really hard to do with a coiled cable.

yea it would be... I'm not even sure how you'd go about most of that... I would think that maybe you could build your own headphone cable and the sleeving might be a the way to go about getting them to light up. BUT the electronics that  make it light up might bring interfearance into the headphones... so running an LED rope through the coil might be a safe bet, but again hopefully some one else will have a better idea 

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 10
Fiber Optic wires that are for commercial use would be ideal for this... Light up strings used by kids for Halloween can also be used, my head is running with ideas that I cant verbalize it now but thats a few ideas on top of my head...

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 10
Fiber Optic wires that are for commercial use would be ideal for this... Light up strings used by kids for Halloween can also be used, my head is running with ideas that I cant verbalize it now but thats a few ideas on top of my head...

Ooh that is a good idea 

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 10
What you could do is have a single LED on both sides, which illuminates the inside of the entire cup. Then cut a ring on the side of the cup, with spokes connecting it to the rest of the headphones, like a stencil "0/o". After this you would put frosted/finely sanded plexiglass underneath the cut out ring to protect and obscure the insides. Finally, you could wire the LED 3 ways, the simplest way, is to have it wired in the same circut as the drivers and, as a bonus, it will pulse to the music. You could also have it powered by an external power source with wires running outside of the cups. Lastly, you could have it powered by an internal battery. Hopefully this helps you, and you can visualize what Im trying to portray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back