I want Grado, But HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 22, 2012 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kossinater101

New Head-Fier
Hello, my relatives are getting me a pair of those $200 Beats solo hd. but I really want to get out of those chains and get a pair of grados. I want a pair that doesn't really need a amp, that plays good with electronic music, and is $200 or lower. P.S. I use a 160g ipod classic 7th gen.

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 10
None of them really need an amp. They all work fairly well without one, but some of the higher end models do gain some from amping.

SR125i retails for $150 and if you keep an eye out, you can get a 225 within budget pretty easily as well.

I don't know your tastes, but some find that grados do not work with electronic. They have nice quality bass, but the quantity isn't there in some music. I'd say if you like your bass, you'll either need to mod (in which case I suggest going with a cheaper one and modding to your hearts content) or go another route. If you want, there are modded SR60 and SR80 popping up in the for sale forums that will take care of a lot of this for you, quite a few of which are within your budget.

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 10
yeah, I mean I love my grado's with electronic music, but you might want to look at some ultrasones...the DJ pro is in your price range and I have heard they sound amazing with electronic. Almost bout a pair once.

That being said. I'm a grado fan boy. So I say, buy a pair of used 225i's and have yourself a party

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 10
What's with the 500 exclamation marks in your thread title, OP ? THAT'S ALMOST AS ANNOYING AS SOMEONE SHOUTING AT ME WITH THE CAPS LOCK on. Please bear this in mind for future threads.

Grado make great cans in your price range, but I'm with the earlier poster - having owned  the DJ1, they make more sense for electronic music and will give you (significantly) more isolation and bass impact. at the cost of the air and resolution of the Grados.  If you can imagine listening to music while still being able to hear everything around you - traffic. conversation. crickets chirping - that will be your experience with Grado phones. Cranking them up is the last thing you want to do - that's where some models wait with an icepick of HF to stab you in the brain. The DJ1 is a colored phone, but I dont recall any icepicks. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 10
I have some ultrasones and some Grados and i personally enjoy both of them with electronic music. But if you are looking for bass impact then definitely go with some ultrasones. These are my go to cans for Electronic and Hip Hop. I had some porta pros a long time ago and really liked them too. If i remember right they sounded a little muddy. But were a great buy for ~$40.

Estreeter made some good points where are you planning on using the headphones?. I used some SR-80s for like a year on the bus but just had to stop as i heard more of the outside world than my music.   

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 10
Mar 22, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
What's with the 500 exclamation marks in your thread title, OP ? THAT'S ALMOST AS ANNOYING AS SOMEONE SHOUTING AT ME WITH THE CAPS LOCK on. Please bear this in mind for future threads.

Grado make great cans in your price range, but I'm with the earlier poster - having owned  the DJ1, they make more sense for electronic music and will give you (significantly) more isolation and bass impact. at the cost of the air and resolution of the Grados.  If you can imagine listening to music while still being able to hear everything around you - traffic. conversation. crickets chirping - that will be your experience with Grado phones. Cranking them up is the last thing you want to do - that's where some models wait with an icepick of HF to stab you in the brain. The DJ1 is a colored phone, but I dont recall any icepicks. 

Chill man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back