I want good headphones
Feb 7, 2005 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

johnmcc516

New Head-Fier
I know nothing about headphones to be honest with everyone. All I know is that I want headphones with a few qualifications.

1. Closed around the ear so it has good isolation.
2. I don't want sound escaping. I think its called leakage. I want to hear the music, not my neighbor.
3. Less than 100 bucks would be nice. I have more money to spend, but I want the best cans for the cheapest price.
4. I love music, but I am also a gamer. So I want cans that will be great for gaming, and music.
5. Oh yeah, I need a sound card too. Chaintech v(something) or the audigy2 zs.

Edit: Oh yeah, and some good portable earphones for my ipod. I don't want the headband, just something that fits on your ear.

Thanks and I hope to learn more of the sound world.

John

Feb 7, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 14
Don't make us do your homework for you. Opinions are highly suggestive anyway. On this board you are privliged to be expoaed to a vastly huge resource center for headphones. Start reading. Oh, and BTW, sorry about your wallet.
tongue.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 14
Agreed. There is a TON of information out there. Narrow your search through some reading. Come back with some model names and specific questions about those. There is a new gaming thread, and a new ipod thread just about every week.

Mark

Feb 7, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 14
Audio-Technica ATH-A500 and Chaintech AV710 sounds like what you're looking for.

I'll need more information to give you a recommendation for the iPod setup. Try searching for the terms "Sennheiser MX500", "Sony EX71", "Sharp MD33", "Etymotic ER-6i", "Shure E2C" and "Shure E3C". A quick browse through the results should give you an idea of what the most popular options are all about. Feel free to ask if anything confuses you =)

Feb 7, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmcc516
I know nothing about headphones to be honest with everyone. All I know is that I want headphones with a few qualifications.

Unlike open models, there's not much good selection of closed phones around that price. Closest I can think of are AKG K271s of Ultrasone HFI500 but they're still around $150. You can get good sounding open phones like Grado sr80 / ms-1 or AKG 240 below $100, or even Koss Sporta pro at $30ish. I'm a bit skeptical about the effectiveness of non full size sealed cans.

Like others said, you might want to browse here and ask SQ questions on certain models that of your interest. Although they can be used as rough guidance, do take the star rating with grain of salt.

Hmm ... I see Sennheiser HD280Pro as fitting your description there. There's also low cost solution as AKG K55 or Koss UR20, never tried them though.

I feel sorry for your wallet already.
icon10.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 14
If you have to go closed, 280 Pros are probally you're best best in that price range.

You might want to do some searches on open versus closed cans.

Feb 7, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 14
Get A500s from http://audiocubes.com for $110 or so , or their slightly better sounding big brother the A900s. You can't buy them in US stores AFAIK.

The chaintech needs an amplifier and sounds great, but doesn't do well for games. The Audigy doesn't need an amp but sounds average. Get one of each, but get the Audigy first, seeing as how you're a gamer.

Feb 8, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunoski909
I'd also recommend the HD280 Pro's, but I think you should reevaluate your desire for closed headphones. In the $100 bracket especially, open headphones tend to be a better value.

I don't recommend them any more, the highs get to me and the lack of strong bass is a shortcoming. I still have a pair for occasional listening though.

Feb 8, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 14
Glad to see some suggestions instead of the initial "do a search" useless help. He was specific enough it what he was looking for and just wanted some advise. No need to do research if he's satisfied with getting other's thoughts and opinions and going that route.

Not everyone considers it worthwhile to spend a ton of time researching headphones, particularly at a lower price range.

IRTOP, the EMU 0404 soundcard is of good quality.

Feb 8, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #14 of 14
if ur a gamer first and head-fier 2nd.
i would recommand you the sony mdr-v6 ( 7506 )
they are great for CS!.
i think your probably one of those CS freak, and let me tell you, these headhpones with my sound blaster on cs,, i can hear where people are,,i dont mean left side or right side,that is just normal for headphones, but i can actualy tell which way the bullets are flying throught, and how far that guy is,,and i can also tell if i wall someone, and the blood come out..

280 pro is a good choise too, but for gaming, v6 is better than the 280 pro..

just my 02cents..

GL and HF.

ste

Users who are viewing this thread

Back