I want better sound and heavier bass from my mp3 and headphones - what do?
Aug 7, 2013 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

eedijs

New Head-Fier
Hello, complete newbie here as I don't even know the use of amplifiers. So the thing is that when I plug my headphones into my PC (which has a soundcard non integrated), I get better sound and better bass than when I'm listing on my mp3 - why is this and would an amplifier or anything else improve sound and bass?

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Hello, complete newbie here as I don't even know the use of amplifiers. So the thing is that when I plug my headphones into my PC (which has a soundcard non integrated), I get better sound and better bass than when I'm listing on my mp3 - why is this and would an amplifier or anything else improve sound and bass?

What headphones do you use?
What sound card is in your computer?
What mp3 player do you have?

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Headphones - Sony MDR V55
MP3 - Sandisk Sansa Clip plus
Sound card - Asus Xonar DS

My two cents and best guess.

I'm fairly sure the Asus Xonar DS sound card's headphone/line-out jack (green) has a high impedance,
which I would guess is causing a bloated bass with your 40-Ohm Sony MDR V55.

The Sandisk Sansa Clip Plus's headphone output should have with a much lower output impedance, which is a benefit for use with 40-Ohm headphones, so you would not be getting a bloated bass using the Clip Plus.

I would also make a wild guess that the Clip Plus has to be more stringy with powering headphones, because it's battery powered.
Where as the Xonar DS can draw as much power as it's needs from the computer.

Have you looked into using the third party firmware "Rockbox" for the Clip Plus, I hear it add features that the original factory firmware does not provide (like better bass boost).

Getting a PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2) external headphone amplifier ($60-$65 on eBay), which i believe has a low output impedance, might improve the audio quality of the Xonar DS/MDR-V55.

But if you like the sound of the MDR-V55 plugged straight into the Xonar DS, maybe you do not need an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back