i want an amp
Jun 27, 2012 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

burningNoodles

New Head-Fier
I got some audio technica ath-m50 and i was looking about investing in an amp. im not sure if i want the Fiio E7 or the E11. I know the E11 dosn't have an DAC. but how do i know if i need a DAC or not?

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 4
If you plan to use with laptop, you can use DAC + amp.
If you plan to use with pmp/phone, get an amp.

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I got some audio technica ath-m50 and i was looking about investing in an amp. im not sure if i want the Fiio E7 or the E11. I know the E11 dosn't have an DAC. but how do i know if i need a DAC or not?

What source(s) are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 4
I run my M50s through an E7 at work. It's a small, cheap DAC/amp, so you get what you pay for, but anything is better than my laptop's soundcard DAC. It has a nice, simple interface and it's about the size of an iPod Classic (a bit thicker). The sound is probably the best you're going to do at this price range (I paid $50 used), but it doesn't come close when compared to something like the HRT Music Streamer II, IMO. Know that there are good amps available at almost any price range. E7s are among the much cheaper DAC/amps.

These two are the only portable amps I have heard, though, to be fair. I'd look into something less portable if you really want to boost your sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back