I want a pair of GREAT closed cans
Nov 14, 2005 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jimmyjames8

500+ Head-Fier
Considering anything up to $750. Headroom really likes the Beyer 250's. Others here like the 770. I tried the Senn 280's and couldn't stand the headclamp sweatboxes. The Audiotechnica's look interesting but I don't know enough about them. Prefer soft non leather cups but not a necessity. Want isolation and GREAT sound. HELP!

Nov 14, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm biased, but really like the AKG k271 studio. They are fairly lightweight and very confortable (unless you have big ears) and very natural in the mids, and smooth non fatiguing highs. Bass is not excessive but adequate for most styles of music when listening in a hi-fi context. Works particulary well for music with more detail. Acoustic guitar and piano, as well as female vox shine with these. Stuff like Mars Volta can push them overboard without a good amp behind them. They're perfect for studio tracking too since the mids are the most prominent and the bass doesn't mask any details by being too hyped. Require good amping, as they're not highly efficient.

They however,do use leather pads. Which do get hot/sweaty after a while, especially if you live somewhere warm/humid. Som people (jncluding myself) have bought the Beyer DT770 pads which can fit on the k271 with some force, however they do reduce a lot of mid clarity which make the cans unique. They also reduce soundstage and create an uncomfortable phasing tunnel effect. Apparently AKG are releasing their own velour pads soon. Curuious to see how they sound.

Other recommendations include the DT770's. Top and bottom end is superb. Mids are a bit recessed for my tastes. Good engaging hifi phones, especially for rock or bass-heavy beat-style music. Also top for games. Easier to drive than the AKGs.

Nov 14, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 17
The limited edition Audio Technica A900s look very nice. $330 on bluetin.

a900ltd.jpg

a900ltdearcups.jpg

I believe the earpads are changable...

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #5 of 17
DT770/80s fully pimped out by Larry - woody/recable to XLR with 1/4" adapter, screened with covers, the lot. Would work out at less than $750 and get you a heck of a lot of headphone.

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 17
Under the heading of "Help", check out:

1. "12 Closed Headphones, 2 Canalphones, and a discussion on Frequency Graphs and Reviews". This is a MAJOR work by Head-Fi member Saint.panda. (Unfortunately this is not a "sticky", but it should be.)

2. "Commandos Monster Closed Headphone Test #2". This is a "sticky" and is found in Full Featured Reviews of Headphone.

On a personal note, I second pete d's recommendation of the AKG K-271S. It is my current favorite closed headphone. I haven't heard the AudioTechnica A-900s, but they are thoroughly reviewed/described by Saint.panda.

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 17
Mmm... Not an easy one with that budget. I don't know why but there are not many choices at that price. You can find cheaper closed cans OR more expensive ones.

The closest one might be the incoming AT-W5000 which looks promising but we don´t know about their sound yet. It would be a bit more expensive (around $1K), on the other side you could have a $400 AT-W1000 but I can´t recomend that can. It is not for everybody.

If isolation is a must, you should be aware that most of these high-end cans (R10, L3000, Woodies) don´t isolate very well (but they don´t leak sound, which is great). If you really want isolation you might want to try custom IEMs. The better ones are around your budget. However, I must say a full closed can should give you a better sound for that price (they are very nice, though, don´t get me wrong)

Good luck with your cans. Cheers

Nov 14, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 17
OK. Great so far. As always, many thanks to those who have responded or will respond. My take/opinion on the reccos so far: K271S-great but sweaty, Dt770-great but very bass heavy, Dt250-good and no sweaty cups, A900-great but the pleather(='s sweat) might fall apart in a year, A900LTD-is probably great and may have leather cups(too many?'s) I thought saint.panda's comments on the DT250's sounding like Senn HD650's was interesting. How can you go wrong with that?

Nov 14, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8
OK. Great so far. As always, many thanks to those who have responded or will respond. My take/opinion on the reccos so far: K271S-great but sweaty, Dt770-great but very bass heavy, Dt250-good and no sweaty cups, A900-great but the pleather(='s sweat) might fall apart in a year, A900LTD-is probably great and may have leather cups(too many?'s) I thought saint.panda's comments on the DT250's sounding like Senn HD650's was interesting. How can you go wrong with that?

Pads on almost every audiophile headphone is interchangable.

Nov 15, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #12 of 17
Also realise that pleather/leather is used a lot more on closed cans because it provides a better seal than velour.

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 17
I understand about the seal, used Koss Pro AA/AAA's for years in radio but they went on and off quickly in between talking on the air. I had a lot more hair back them as well which insulated my skin from the vinyl or whatever the hell it was. I just don't think I can stand the pleather on any can for an hour. If AT has velour or foam replacement pads, somebody please point me to them. I ordered a pair of DT250-80's today just for kicks. A900's could still be in my future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back