I want a over ear hd25..... any suggestions? Leaning towards m50x or dt770 right now....
Apr 26, 2015 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pedro Oliveira

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys...Sorry to bother but i really need some help....

Right now i only have 2 headphones... a pair of hd25's and a pair of amperiors.... i love both but i love the hd25's even more (although they sound similar i prefer the overall balance of the hd25's more, they toned the highs and mids of the amperiors a bit too much ...)....

So basically now i want buy something that gives me the famous hd25 sounds on a over ear package.... i mostly listen to pop, rock and edm.... right now i am leaning towards the audio technica ath m50x or the beyerdynamic dt770 32 or 80ohm.... (i mostly use my headphones on portable sources)

I already heard the m50x and they sound nice (although i prefer the sound of the hd25... the bass is very nice on the m50s but the mids are a bit more recessed compared to the hd25's and the highs sound a bit plasticky and unnatural....)

I never tried a beyerdynamic headphone in my life and to do so i have to buy one (never saw beyers in any portuguese store)....

So for you guys who tested both, wich do you guys think it sounds more similar to the hd25?

My budget is 150 euros.... Any other suggestions? (although i am strongly leaning towards this 2 due to the durability factor as well....)

Cheers... :)

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 14
I very recently listened to the ATH M50X;
I listened to the DT770's several months ago.
I also have the HD25 I ii and Amperiors.

I think that the AT's and DT770's sound
like each other more than either sounds
like either of the Senn's.

Too much bass, IMO, on those AT's and
DT's.  (The DT880's are fantastic, BTW
though a different animal altogether.)

(I'm assuming you have the HD25 I ii, not
the plain HD25.  Please confirm)

Neither the AT nor the DT770 sounds
like the Senn's, to my ears.  The 25's
are a quite unique little set of speakers -
one reason they've been successful for so long.

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 14
I very recently listened to the ATH M50X;
I listened to the DT770's several months ago.
I also have the HD25 I ii and Amperiors.

I think that the AT's and DT770's sound
like each other more than either sounds
like either of the Senn's.

Too much bass, IMO, on those AT's and
DT's.  (The DT880's are fantastic, BTW
though a different animal altogether.)

(I'm assuming you have the HD25 I ii, not
the plain HD25.  Please confirm)

Neither the AT nor the DT770 sounds
like the Senn's, to my ears.  The 25's
are a quite unique little set of speakers -
one reason they've been successful for so long.

But wich in your opinion sounds closet to the hd25 (yes i have the 70ohm hd25-1 II as you pointed....)?

I also have the chance of getting 2 headphones for a really cheap price right now... Ue6000 and cal!2 for 100 euros both... Are these any good compared to the hd25, ath m50 and dt770?
I had the original cal! And althogh it did noy wowed! me as yhe hd25 i admit thay it wad a nice sounding headphone... I think i even liked yhe overall balance of the original cal! More than yhe m50... Although reviews for thw cal!2 dont seem very good... Are they inferior compard to the first ones? Are they so different?

May 1, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 14
But wich in your opinion sounds closet to the hd25 (yes i have the 70ohm hd25-1 II as you pointed....)?

I also have the chance of getting 2 headphones for a really cheap price right now... Ue6000 and cal!2 for 100 euros both... Are these any good compared to the hd25, ath m50 and dt770?
I had the original cal! And althogh it did noy wowed! me as yhe hd25 i admit thay it wad a nice sounding headphone... I think i even liked yhe overall balance of the original cal! More than yhe m50... Although reviews for thw cal!2 dont seem very good... Are they inferior compard to the first ones? Are they so different?

The CAL was an OK headphone; pretty good value IMO
Never heard the CAL2 but as you said, reports on it weren't as good.

It would help a lot if you told me some of your favorite music, and some
of your favorite albums.  Also your source (a phone, a DAP, whatever) and
if you'll be using an amp.

Also worth keeping in mind that the DT770's are very, very comfortable
headphones.  The Senn's not as much for most people.  Just some other
factors to keep in mind...

So if you wish, let me know about your tastes in music and we can continue
this discussion.

Cheers,

May 1, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 14

The CAL was an OK headphone; pretty good value IMO
Never heard the CAL2 but as you said, reports on it weren't as good.

It would help a lot if you told me some of your favorite music, and some
of your favorite albums.  Also your source (a phone, a DAP, whatever) and
if you'll be using an amp.

Also worth keeping in mind that the DT770's are very, very comfortable
headphones.  The Senn's not as much for most people.  Just some other
factors to keep in mind...

So if you wish, let me know about your tastes in music and we can continue
this discussion.

Cheers,

I listen to a litlle bit of everything but mostly pop, rock and edm...

I can hear the entire colection of above & beyonds anjunabeats volume albums (i listen of dance music but mostly progressive and trancey stuff... anjunabeats, enhanced recording, etc...) and on the next day i can listen to something like metronomy, feist, bon iver or radiohead, the first 2 artic monkeys albums, blocparty, biffy clyro or maximo park..... on the next day i may be listening to ellie goulding.... :D

To make it easier for you to help me here are my impressions from my last 6 headphones and what i though of them....:-D

Akg k550, hated, steryle, only treble, weird fit.
Sony mdr 1r, no bass impact, too warm and colored for my taste, vocals sounded muffled to my ears, good confort and soundstage but the sound was not for me...
Ath m50 (not the x), fun bass but too v shaped for rock for example, also the treble was very unnatural and plasticky, stage almost unexistent...
Sennheiser momentum over ear, loved the sound, but for edm i thought they sounded a tiny bit slow, sold them because i hated the fit and that ended up being reflected on a defective seal and this ruined the experience. They were like a mix of on and over ear and that became unconfortable after 10 minutes..,
Sennheiser hd25, love the sound, almost hate the confort but at the same time love the way they seal (perfect), unfortunately although they are lots fun they sound very confined and soundstage is unexistant.... amperior, almost the same to the hd25, but i like the fit of the hd25 more because of the pleather pads, also the sound although sharing the hd25 basis i think they added a tiny bit more bass quantity wich is nice but at the same time they reduced the highs and mids a bit wich in my opinion makes them more suitable for edm and less suitable for rock and acoustic... the extra treble and mids on the hd25 makes guitars and cymbals sound more agreesive and detailed and i like that....

My 2 favourites so far are the momentums and the hd25 because both sound amazingly clear and are fun but at the same time both complement each other since the momentum are a bit more laidback and with a bit of soundstage and the hd25 although confined are very fun and agressive in a good way....

So what do you think of the dt770 is for me? Do you think they would suit my taste and preferences? :-D

May 2, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 14
wow, a really broad taste in music and sound

my initial impression is that the headphones
you've been listening to are a 'class' below
what you'd be happy with...and there's no
need to consider the DT770's, IMO not
revealing or detailed enough for your needs

have you heard the Philips X1 or X2?

My sense is that you'd enjoy an open
headphone more than the closed ones
to which you've been listening (and with
with you've been displeased one way or
another...)

edit: have you tried the Sony MDR 7520?
Very good sounding closed headphones,
comfortable too.

May 2, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 14
  wow, a really broad taste in music and sound

my initial impression is that the headphones
you've been listening to are a 'class' below
what you'd be happy with...and there's no
need to consider the DT770's, IMO not
revealing or detailed enough for your needs

have you heard the Philips X1 or X2?

My sense is that you'd enjoy an open
headphone more than the closed ones
to which you've been listening (and with
with you've been displeased one way or
another...)

edit: have you tried the Sony MDR 7520?
Very good sounding closed headphones,
comfortable too.

Yap... as long as i like what i am hearing i dont care what genre is.... :)
Bu usually its kind of 50%edm and 50% shared between rock, pop, indie and etc....

Many people have talked me about the fidelio x1 but unfortunately it is another headphone that is impossible for me to try unless i buy it....

As i said i liked the over ear momentums.....can be something like that as well.... are any of the headphones i mentioned similar sounding to the momentums? The x1's are closer to the momentum or hd25...?

I never tried those sony's... only had the mdr v6 (my first headphone after subscribing to head fi) and the sony mdr 1r but i ended up selling both...

May 3, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 14
  Yap... as long as i like what i am hearing i dont care what genre is.... :)
Bu usually its kind of 50%edm and 50% shared between rock, pop, indie and etc....

Many people have talked me about the fidelio x1 but unfortunately it is another headphone that is impossible for me to try unless i buy it....

As i said i liked the over ear momentums.....can be something like that as well.... are any of the headphones i mentioned similar sounding to the momentums? The x1's are closer to the momentum or hd25...?

I never tried those sony's... only had the mdr v6 (my first headphone after subscribing to head fi) and the sony mdr 1r but i ended up selling both...

I think if you liked the over ear Momentum's, you probably should buy them.

The X1's are somewhat closer to the Momentum's than the HD 25  i ii 
IMO simply because they have a wider soundstage.   Other than that,
they're not really similar to either.  I think you'd like them  but I understand
the realities of not being able to try them without buying them...they are 
quite easy to sell, though

May 3, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 14
Have you considered Senn's HD8 DJ? They don't quite have the flatness and clarity of the HD-25 imo, and are slightly V-shaped in terms of sound signature, but I was still fairly impressed with them as an over-ear portable. Like the HD-25, they pack a bit of a punch and are pretty tight sounding overall.

May 3, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 14
  Have you considered Senn's HD8 DJ? They don't quite have the flatness and clarity of the HD-25 imo, and are slightly V-shaped in terms of sound signature, but I was still fairly impressed with them as an over-ear portable. Like the HD-25, they pack a bit of a punch and are pretty tight sounding overall.

They semm very well built and the design is nice but they are toooooooo expensive m8..... But i appreciate the suggestion.... :)
Any other u can think of?

I think if you liked the over ear Momentum's, you probably should buy them.

The X1's are somewhat closer to the Momentum's than the HD 25  i ii 
IMO simply because they have a wider soundstage.   Other than that,
they're not really similar to either.  I think you'd like them  but I understand
the realities of not being able to try them without buying them...they are 
quite easy to sell, though

Problem is that the x1's completely exceed my budget.... but as i said earlier actually a couple of friends recomended them to me..... say they are very close to the hd650.... 
Returning to the ue6000's and cal2..... have you ever tried any of both...?
I know they are inferior headphones to everything mentioned here but both for 100 euros (imagine both cost 100 dollars.... :D ) is a very bad deal? I am tempted to get them specially because they are super well treated and are from a fellow headfier.... :)

If any of you ever tried them, is any of them close to the over ear momentum is terms of sound sig?

May 3, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 14
  They semm very well built and the design is nice but they are toooooooo expensive m8..... But i appreciate the suggestion.... :)
Any other u can think of?

Problem is that the x1's completely exceed my budget.... but as i said earlier actually a couple of friends recomended them to me..... say they are very close to the hd650.... 
Returning to the ue6000's and cal2..... have you ever tried any of both...?
I know they are inferior headphones to everything mentioned here but both for 100 euros (imagine both cost 100 dollars.... :D ) is a very bad deal? I am tempted to get them specially because they are super well treated and are from a fellow headfier.... :)

If any of you ever tried them, is any of them close to the over ear momentum is terms of sound sig?

I've not heard either the 6000's or CAL2.

I recommend you get something you want - you know those headphones 
you're looking at won't sound better because they're treated well

A few things I'll say again : 

IMO, you're looking at headphones below the level you need
if that's an issue of dollars and cents, well I guess we all deal
with that from time to time > perhaps save up and get what you want.
Then you have the value in those headphones to work with
when you sell or trade them, if you wish to do so.  Just a 
suggestion.
cool.gif

Or look around again and go with the best headphones - the
best to you - that you can possibly afford right now.  With that
said, the ATHM50, ATHM50X, and Sony MDR 7506/V6 are really
not bad choices, especially on a temporary basis.

Try to listen to the Sony MDR 7520's, I think there's really good
chance you'll like those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back