I want a new amp
Feb 21, 2006 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

charlie1

100+ Head-Fier
I now have a headroom micro (desktop module) and a Ray Samuels Hornet amp. I love them both. I just want more. My phones are ety4ps-shure e4cs-AKG K 701s on order and shure 500 on pre-order. I listen to rock,blues and metel. what do you think i should add to my list amp wise. Portable use only. money is not much of a corcern.Please help with suggestions. Thank you, CHARLIE1 P.S. I also have a 4G Nano -Turbodock II -shuffle and a 4th generation ipod getting a redwine mod. Please pick me out a new amp that might help. maybe in order best to least. Thank you, CHARLIE1

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 13
Your next step is inevitably tubes. The millet hybrid should fit your bill nicely.
icon10.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 13
I'm trying to make my first amp purchase????? I have read lots and lots on both the SR-71, the hornet and the LaRocco PRII - all have great reviews ?? threads- post etc. Confused and don't know which direction to go! I'm currently using a 4g 30g ipod with shure e5c's I just ordered a turbodockII. please help me sort this out ???
confused.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 13
I have 3 portable amps and they all drive my K701 or HD600 just fine. These are AE-1, SuperMacro III Ver. 6, and a Practical Devices XM3.

At the end of the day you need to hear the amps to determine which one you like. Personally I would say tha Dr. Xin's ofering due to the various upgrades/choices you have may give you the most flexible solution. Good luck.

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 13
The LaRocco PRII was my first amp purchase, and I've been really happy with it. My reasons for purchase include the price (X-mas sale), ergonomic configuration (had the inputs in the back in both mini and rca formats, plus accepts 1/4" jacks), ability to recharge batteries, and sound quality. The PRII should definitely be on your list, especially if you're not concerned about price. It's a really decent amp. Plus, it comes in three colors.
tongue.gif

pcards:I really think that between the SR71 and PRII, you'll probably be happy with whichever one you get. I'm pretty sure that it'll certainly be a step-up from ampless. I have a Denon DCP-150 which is supposed to have an amazing headphone out (relatively), but the PRII blows it away. I can't even listen to the DCP-150's headphone out anymore.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 13
It appears the PRII only has 1/4" phone outputs, I using shure e5c's if this is true then is it safe to assume I will have to use a 1/4 to mini adaptor any other options?
confused.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 13
You'd need a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter if you bought the PRII for your E4Cs, yes.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #11 of 13
pcards:I really think that between the SR71 and PRII, you'll probably be happy with whichever one you get. I'm pretty sure that it'll certainly be a step-up from amp-less. I have a Denon DCP-150 which is supposed to have an amazing headphone out (relatively), but the PRII blows it away. I can't even listen to the DCP-150's headphone out anymore.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure your are right anything will be better than amp-less. Although I have never had a chance to listen to a separate headphone amp so I'm pretty anxious. Does anyone know if there is any chance the PRII will go again??
580smile.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 13
Get Xin Supermini-3. Its got the best balance of great sound/portability/features/price. Can you put those other amps mentioned in your pocket? Those other amps are just transportable compared to the size and weight of a Supermini-3. When you get tired of the sound just roll a different opamp. It never gets boring. IMO it can go head-to-head with any of the big boys of portable amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back