i want a headphone that has stax clarity with hd650 body and warmth
Sep 5, 2016 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

magicalmouse

500+ Head-Fier
Hi i have a staz 2020 system and hd650 with musical fidelity x-cans v3 (highly modified and with pinkie psu)

i love the clarity/precision and openeness of the stax but alos love the warmth/depth/body that the hd650/x-cans give.

what i want is the perfect combination with body/speed/clarity/depth/soundstage - any suggestions as to how to combine the best of each - within reasonable financial limits

thanks

david

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 13
Not entirley possible I'm affraid: Lack of warmth is part of  the Stax' clarity, and "lack" of clarity is partly what makes the HD650 sound warm.
I think the best way to combine them is the way you have already done; Buy them both.

There are 'in between"headphones, you could try the HD600

Sep 8, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 13
Stax's clarity is in another league. For a trade-off between warmth and clarity I would audition the Stax SR-L700, Audeze LCD-2/3/X/XC, Oppo PM-1/2/3, Focal Elear and Sennheiser HD700.

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 13
  Just equalize your STAX. You won't have to pay a penny that way.

Great advice. It might also be worth trying to add a bass port, the easiest approach is called the 'straw mod', for more bottom-end if they're similar to the SR-207. I found this image of the mod online

Ignore the non-standard pads. I only had to pull the corner of the pad off (it's stuck down with thick adhesive) to insert the straw and then simply pushed the pad down to re-stick it. The mod adds more bass and a slight mid-bass hump which might help narrow the gap with the HD650's signature.

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 13
Elear is not an upgrade to HD650, let's not parrot the early posters as spread a false rumors as we've done to many headphones in the past.

Elear has a major depression in the 3-5k area that the HD650 does not have.  Elear also has a mid-treble peak that the HD650 does not have.  The two headphones sound a good bit different.

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 13
If you still want to use electrostatic drivers, check out the Koss ESP-950. The clearer the DAC and pre-amp, the more bass impact you will get. Yes, bass impact from a electrostatic driver. :duggfloat:

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 13
If you want some balanced bass punch, full rich mids, and sparkling highs with harmonics into the stratosphere try hybrid. Enigma Acoustics Dharma has a great cone driver for the everything below about 8000Hz and electrostatic (electret) for sparkling highs out to 40000Hz. TTVJ had a loaner program....don't know if it is still available. I have one in my collection and it's a all around winner IMHO.

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 13
If you want some balanced bass punch, full rich mids, and sparkling highs with harmonics into the stratosphere try hybrid. Enigma Acoustics Dharma has a great cone driver for the everything below about 8000Hz and electrostatic (electret) for sparkling highs out to 40000Hz. TTVJ had a loaner program....don't know if it is still available. I have one in my collection and it's a all around winner IMHO.

wow never heard of these before, especially high end modern electret hybrid headphones. The design immediately reminded me of a fidelio x2 combined with the k812. Definitely going to look into what these are all about

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #13 of 13
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/enigma4/1.html
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-successful-dual-driver-headphone-enigmacoustics-dharma-d1000#8zrEkHdsRHJOfpZJ.97
A couple reviews of the Dharma 1000 headphone.  Not a huge company but has produced some amazing supertweeter systems.  If you never get to high end audio shows it's likely that your never going to run across these.   They are worth a listen IMHO and are certainly cheaper than the top of the line BIG name traditional can builders.  Happy hunting for the perfect headphone but plan for a long trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back