I want a 100% headphone movie experience, DT990, HD598... help please.
Feb 1, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #17 of 29
Ok a little update...

I already have the dt990 and the xonar st, and after some serious testing and tweaks I can assure you guys this combo is amazing, Im using a tweaked DH3 config with the help of a real JBL PB12 (sub) near me for the feeling of the lows... wow, I totally forgot that I was wearing headphones!!! But not only that, the sound wasn't coming from inside my head, or the virtual DH speakers... Nope... The sound was inside the movie screen!!!! Omg, Ive never experienced something like this before, on one scene there was some sparks on the scenery and the sound was right there!!! Inside the movie, it was weird but amazing at the same time. Btw, I had to tweak the audio sync because it was a little bit delayed, but with -50ms the problem was fixed.

There is only one thing that is bothering me... my ears and my hearing. Believe me or not, but this is the first time Im using headphones in my life, I dont really like using them and Im not used to prolongued use, so, after the movie I felt some weird preasure on my ears, and my tinnitus was a little bit worse, I feel like I was on a party with loud music. I have a radioshack slm and the db were around 70~80, with 85~90 peaks on some action scenes, but just for a few seconds... do you guys think that I watched the movie too loud? It felt perfectly fine for my ears, the weird feeling started after the movie. I was reading some studies on some sites and Im fine with that volume, so, why my ears feel like this? Maybe because this is my first time using headphones? My girlfriend watched the movie with me and she felt just fine after, but she is a avid headphone user...

Thanks!!

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #18 of 29
Ok a little update...

I already have the dt990 and the xonar st, and after some serious testing and tweaks I can assure you guys this combo is amazing, Im using a tweaked DH3 config with the help of a real JBL PB12 (sub) near me for the feeling of the lows... wow, I totally forgot that I was wearing headphones!!! But not only that, the sound wasn't coming from inside my head, or the virtual DH speakers... Nope... The sound was inside the movie screen!!!! Omg, Ive never experienced something like this before, on one scene there was some sparks on the scenery and the sound was right there!!! Inside the movie, it was weird but amazing at the same time. Btw, I had to tweak the audio sync because it was a little bit delayed, but with -50ms the problem was fixed.

There is only one thing that is bothering me... my ears and my hearing. Believe me or not, but this is the first time Im using headphones in my life, I dont really like using them and Im not used to prolongued use, so, after the movie I felt some weird preasure on my ears, and my tinnitus was a little bit worse, I feel like I was on a party with loud music. I have a radioshack slm and the db were around 70~80, with 85~90 peaks on some action scenes, but just for a few seconds... do you guys think that I watched the movie too loud? It felt perfectly fine for my ears, the weird feeling started after the movie. I was reading some studies on some sites and Im fine with that volume, so, why my ears feel like this? Maybe because this is my first time using headphones? My girlfriend watched the movie with me and she felt just fine after, but she is a avid headphone user...

Thanks!!
Were was a few times that after watching a movie i had same symptoms, but i use to watch movies VERY LOUD. Now never happen to me.

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #20 of 29
I already have the dt990 and the xonar st, and after some serious testing and tweaks I can assure you guys this combo is amazing, Im using a tweaked DH3 config with the help of a real JBL PB12 (sub) near me for the feeling of the lows... wow, I totally forgot that I was wearing headphones!!! But not only that, the sound wasn't coming from inside my head, or the virtual DH speakers... Nope... The sound was inside the movie screen!!!! Omg, Ive never experienced something like this before, on one scene there was some sparks on the scenery and the sound was right there!!!

Such excitement.  
biggrin.gif
 People do their best in giving advice in these kinds of threads, and it's good when the person posts a follow-up, and it's even better when the result is a success.

It's possible you were listening too loud.  
It's possible the highs on the DT990 are too much for your ears even if not listening too loud.  Try sticking a piece of foam in the ear pads, or some kind of felt or piece of nylon stocking or something if you don't have foam.  It usually doesn't need a very thick piece.  Do an image search on here or the internet for some examples if you need some.

If it's from the highs being excessive, it's possible they will calm down after the headphones get more use (burn-in).  If you want to speed up the process, let them play at a strong but not excessive volume for 50+ hours when you're not using them.  

When I first got my DT990, the highs were shrilly and annoying.  I'm not sure if it's from putting more use on them, or if I switched to a more powerful amp around that time, but I used them with an extra piece of foam for a while.  And then one day I removed the extra foam and was surprised at how clean the highs sounded.  They're still on the strong side, but the shrilly harshness was gone, and they were so much better to listen to.

The highs might also get more tame after some use as the pads get mushed down and brings the mids out more. 

After you get some more time on them, it would be interesting hearing a comparison between the DT990 and your home theater system.  I'm guessing the home theater would win on soundstage, but it's not every day someone compares the sound quality between DT990 and $3000 speakers.

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #22 of 29
Such excitement.  :D  People do their best in giving advice in these kinds of threads, and it's good when the person posts a follow-up, and it's even better when the result is a success.

It's possible you were listening too loud.  
It's possible the highs on the DT990 are too much for your ears even if not listening too loud.  Try sticking a piece of foam in the ear pads, or some kind of felt or piece of nylon stocking or something if you don't have foam.  It usually doesn't need a very thick piece.  Do an image search on here or the internet for some examples if you need some.

If it's from the highs being excessive, it's possible they will calm down after the headphones get more use (burn-in).  If you want to speed up the process, let them play at a strong but not excessive volume for 50+ hours when you're not using them.  

When I first got my DT990, the highs were shrilly and annoying.  I'm not sure if it's from putting more use on them, or if I switched to a more powerful amp around that time, but I used them with an extra piece of foam for a while.  And then one day I removed the extra foam and was surprised at how clean the highs sounded.  They're still on the strong side, but the shrilly harshness was gone, and they were so much better to listen to.

The highs might also get more tame after some use as the pads get mushed down and brings the mids out more. 

After you get some more time on them, it would be interesting hearing a comparison between the DT990 and your home theater system.  I'm guessing the home theater would win on soundstage, but it's not every day someone compares the sound quality between DT990 and $3000 speakers.

Hi DangerClose, thanks for the reply.

I will try that foam on my headphones, thanks for the advice, but I dont know, during the movie every was fine, all was perfectly calibrated (for my ears) and the highs didnt bother me at all, maybe the bass a little bit, but I had the low frequency turned down because Im leaving that task to the real sub, (the combo headphone + subwoofer is amazing). But still, I find the bass a little bit too over the edge for my ears, like my head is about to explode.

And sorry mate, I cant test my speakers in here, I have them stored away and I cant put those things in this house, first because I dont have the room for them, and second... I will annoy the neighbors.

Thank you so much.

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #24 of 29
 But still, I find the bass a little bit too over the edge for my ears, like my head is about to explode.

It's hard to get perfection without modding or tweaking or buying many headphones to try.  I usually eq the bass down on the DT990, and various other headphones get the bass eq'd up. 

I wouldn't worry too much about any of it until you put more hours on the DT990 to make sure they're broken in.  

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #26 of 29
I cant guys, I cant, Im so sorry... but this is not for me :'-(

I was testing the foam with a mild volume (with only 70db peaks) and after half an hour of testing I feel like my ears are going to explode, what a uncomfortable feeling... I cant, I have to protect my ears, my health is first.

Its a real shame because the sound is amazing, even better that my old system because the sound is mixed with the ambience of the movie, I dont know how to explain this, but its like the sound is coming from inside the movie.... but it seems that I have ***** ears, what a shame.

Sadly I will have to return the headphones, I will keep the xonar because its amazing for gaming, but the headphones have to go...

Thank you so much for all the help, its a sad day for me, I have a ugly tinnitus right now and my dream to watch movies at home is gone for now....

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #28 of 29
I dont know man, do you really think that is going to fix the problem? sadly Ive already started the return process with amazon, I dont want to risk my health anymore, Im afraid to use them again.

Thank you so much, you were really helpful mate.

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #29 of 29
Hi!

I watch  movies(BRRIP 15 GB)  from Philips HD player HMP 3000, which has optical out. How much can  I improve sound quality with adding DAC and headphones amp? is there big difference in sound  between    HD player----DAC---- headphones amp---headphones      and      HD player---- AV receiver----headphones (6.3 mm port)  ?

Headphones options are Technica-Audio ATH M40X  or AKG Y50. Are  there any headphones, especially better for movies?

Thanks for answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back