I want a 100% headphone movie experience, DT990, HD598... help please.
Jan 16, 2016 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Dorohedoro

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I have a nice home theater with some decent +3000$ JBL 5.1 speakers and a Denon receiver. I Also have a projector. Now I'm living in a new house, but I can't use my setup because I'm not allowed to disturb the neighbours, so, my only choice right now is to use headphones.

I will soon have the Asus Xonar ST (The ST because I dont have PCI-E), and I trend to watch all my movies through my HTPC, so, my plan is to use the amp of the asus to power the headphones and maybe try the dolby headphone technology. I will most likely buy the DT990 because It has a more "cinema" feeling than the equivalent HD598 or others like them... and I dont want to spend more than 200$ on headphones.

I'm almost decided for this combo, but before I go and spend the money I have one last question:

I'm not a headphone user, ever, not even for music... so, do you guys think that this headphone (the DT990) and the asus xonar will give me good results compared to my previous speaker system?, I mean... I have a huge projector screen, and my basic concern is that the image will outperform the audio, and I dont want to feel that the image is disconnected from the audio, like... I dont know, that feeling when the audio is coming from inside your head and not from the screen, or the bass too weak... that's my main fear, to not feel that huge image connected with the audio. I dont know how to explain better my concern, I hope you guys will catch what I mean.

I know out there is the Realiser A8, and I want it... sure, but is way too expensive for me, so, that is not a valid solution for my problem.

Also, last question: can I connect two or three headphones in the asus xonar?

Thank you so much!

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm almost decided for this combo, but before I go and spend the money I have one last question:

I'm not a headphone user, ever, not even for music... so, do you guys think that this headphone (the DT990) and the asus xonar will give me good results compared to my previous speaker system?

Short answer: NO. Long answer: you have to manage your expectations. Headphone listening has one advantage regarding noise, but the way it achieves that also comes with a price: the proximity of the headphone to your ear canals and the fact that left ear can't hear the right driver and vice versa also makes them fundamentally very different from speakers apart from basic driver physics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I mean... I have a huge projector screen, and my basic concern is that the image will outperform the audio, and I dont want to feel that the image is disconnected from the audio, like... I dont know, that feeling when the audio is coming from inside your head and not from the screen, or the bass too weak... that's my main fear, to not feel that huge image connected with the audio. I dont know how to explain better my concern, I hope you guys will catch what I mean.

I know out there is the Realiser A8, and I want it... sure, but is way too expensive for me, so, that is not a valid solution for my problem.

There is no DSP - whether a soundcard with a chip or a stand-alone unit like the Smyth Realiser - that will overcome sheer physics and totally away reality. Let's take a video game for example. You can get the best Dolby or Creative DSP, play a game where somebody within the game world is shooting at you from 15meters away and bullets zip past your head, but you will not hear the shot like it actually came from 15meters away (hell, in real life, you're going to get sounds off that bouncing off everywhere depending on the terrain/topography, and games don't take that into account). To be fair, even if you had speakers, it's still not going to sound like it came from 15meters away, unless your speakers are too, but again that just reinforces how DSP cannot overcome simple physics, although it can make use of it to get around certain technological limitations.

This is all going to get worse with a fullsize display and seating position. On my gaming rig, the Asus Xonar U3 with Dolby Headphone sometimes has me reaching for the volume buttons on the PC speakers because even YouTube sounds far out of my head and coming from where the monitor is, but that monitor is roughly a meter away from my face. It's not going to sound like it's over two meters away and close to 42inches apart when you have two characters on the opposite flanks of the plasma screen talking and you can hear their voices from separate sides.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 29
  I think you will get better sound by getting Philips Fidelio X2 instead of DT990 and the soundcard.

Wow, those Phillips sure looks amazing!! a bit over my budget, but I can make an effort. Thanks for the tip! as far I can see they are better than the DT990 in every aspect.

Quote:

Short answer: NO. Long answer: you have to manage your expectations. Headphone listening has one advantage regarding noise, but the way it achieves that also comes with a price: the proximity of the headphone to your ear canals and the fact that left ear can't hear the right driver and vice versa also makes them fundamentally very different from speakers apart from basic driver physics.

There is no DSP - whether a soundcard with a chip or a stand-alone unit like the Smyth Realiser - that will overcome sheer physics and totally away reality. Let's take a video game for example. You can get the best Dolby or Creative DSP, play a game where somebody within the game world is shooting at you from 15meters away and bullets zip past your head, but you will not hear the shot like it actually came from 15meters away (hell, in real life, you're going to get sounds off that bouncing off everywhere depending on the terrain/topography, and games don't take that into account). To be fair, even if you had speakers, it's still not going to sound like it came from 15meters away, unless your speakers are too, but again that just reinforces how DSP cannot overcome simple physics, although it can make use of it to get around certain technological limitations.

This is all going to get worse with a fullsize display and seating position. On my gaming rig, the Asus Xonar U3 with Dolby Headphone sometimes has me reaching for the volume buttons on the PC speakers because even YouTube sounds far out of my head and coming from where the monitor is, but that monitor is roughly a meter away from my face. It's not going to sound like it's over two meters away and close to 42inches apart when you have two characters on the opposite flanks of the plasma screen talking and you can hear their voices from separate sides.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply, I will start working on lowering my spectations.... I just want to enjoy the movies again at my place like I did before moving.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 29
I would also recommend you to audition some headphones before purchase if possible 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 29
Really really hard for me Youth... I live in the Canary Islands and its really hard to find in here any good hifi stores were you can try headphones. Mostly, if you are lucky, you will only find those sub 100$ headphones in superstores.

I will have to go blind on this one, but I will buy it through amazon, they have an amazing return policy.

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 29
I cant buy the Phillips X2, there is a problem with the earpad glued into the unit, and also some ink leak in the pad, it seems that the new imported units have this problem. I can't risk to buy this headphone, it a shame because I really like it.

For now I will keep my original option, the DT990, and I will wait until next week to decide which one to buy in case of more suggestions on this price range.

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 29
DT990 has strong bass for an open-back headphone.  It also has a big soundstage.  And it's a globe, not just left-right, so it's more like it has a center channel that is farther away.  HD598 is more like sitting in the front row of a movie theater with the center channel in your face, or maybe even lacking a center channel since it can seem stretched.  

Plenty of times I've watched a movie with the DT990 and then took them off because I thought the voice of the person talking was coming from the TV, and the TV was supposed to be muted.  It was muted, of course.

Or like when you hear someone say they took their headphones off because they thought someone was knocking on their door or a car was pulling in the driveway outside their window, but then they realized the sound was coming from the movie they were listening to.  This kind of stuff doesn't happen all the time, but it can happen.

There are other headphones that could be considered.  A main thing would be to make sure it has a big soundstage.  Something from the AKG 701 family is another obvious choice.  701 doesn't have the depth the DT990 does, but the soundstage is bigger overall.  But I'd say the overall sound can be harder to like.  And these are just my opinions.

It's unlikely a 701 will have the bass you want without modding or at least EQ.  

Both DT990 and 701 are good in their own way, and is like asking which supermodel you think looks better.

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 29
Plenty of times I've watched a movie with the DT990 and then took them off because I thought the voice of the person talking was coming from the TV, and the TV was supposed to be muted.  It was muted, of course.

Or like when you hear someone say they took their headphones off because they thought someone was knocking on their door or a car was pulling in the driveway outside their window, but then they realized the sound was coming from the movie they were listening to.  This kind of stuff doesn't happen all the time, but it can happen.

Wow, you sold me with this, Im almost convinced for the DT990s... Now is just a matter of the cable, it seems that the pro version is coiled and really fragile, Im going to dig up a little bit more on this issue because I think the premium version has a straight cable and it seems that is a little bit more durable.

Thank you so much!

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #12 of 29
I think part of thinking sound is coming from far away is that the headphones are light and comfortable, making you kind of forget you're wearing headphones.  

A concern about the DT990 is the bass and treble are elevated, so that sounds fun for bass, but the treble can be too much, and the mids are recessed.  If it's a problem, pretty easy fix with some EQ or a piece of foam.  Such a thing is more of a concern for music since the elevated treble would be more constant.  

I watched the LOTR Hobbit movie swapping between DT990 and DT880.  DT880 sounded more "correct," but DT990 was more fun.  And on "epic" scenes with big battles and things, the elevated treble and more "air" of the DT990 made the horns slightly excessive, but in a good, exciting way.  "Here comes the king!" toot toot toot. etc.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #13 of 29
I think part of thinking sound is coming from far away is that the headphones are light and comfortable, making you kind of forget you're wearing headphones.  

A concern about the DT990 is the bass and treble are elevated, so that sounds fun for bass, but the treble can be too much, and the mids are recessed.  If it's a problem, pretty easy fix with some EQ or a piece of foam.  Such a thing is more of a concern for music since the elevated treble would be more constant.  

I watched the LOTR Hobbit movie swapping between DT990 and DT880.  DT880 sounded more "correct," but DT990 was more fun.  And on "epic" scenes with big battles and things, the elevated treble and more "air" of the DT990 made the horns slightly excessive, but in a good, exciting way.  "Here comes the king!" toot toot toot. etc.
Yeah, If you dont use eq with headphones, DT990 will be better than any other Open back for immersive experience PERIOD... Yesterday i was started to play Alien Isolation for the second time and sometimes i felt like being in cinema. Especially if you have an amp with a powerfull bass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back