I want 1 akg and 1 grado: have to chose which one opened.
Feb 27, 2012 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Tresholdz

New Head-Fier
Hello I would like to buy 1 akg and 1 grado headphone.
I need one opened and one closed.

Do you have any inputs?

I need them for recording instruments and vocals and home recording stuff

Thank you!

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 15
AKG Q 701--after all it's the Quincy Jones version--open.  But wait, you have to have a closed AKG because there are no closed Grado cans.

There is the AKG Acoustics K550 Closed-Back Reference Headphones--but I don't much about it except that the few vendors who carry it want $299.

Grado--well that really depends on how much you want to spend.  Since we are going $299 for the AKG, the $299 Grado is the 325.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #4 of 15

Best bet will be semi open on a AKG suitable for your needs - closed types will be models like the
 K519DJ and K550 - something more professional would be..

The K240 MK II is a long standing choice for sound recording and studio use.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 15
AKG 271 Mk II is a closed back model.   You haven't mentioned a price range, but any Grado will be open back to go with this.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 15
I have two akg and one grado, but all of them are open, k240, k701, rs2....
 I've seen videos before that some musicians jam with the semi open k240s..but why grado? I don't think their sound can be used as a reference in production. 

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
I have two akg and one grado, but all of them are open, k240, k701, rs2....
 I've seen videos before that some musicians jam with the semi open k240s..but why grado? I don't think their sound can be used as a reference in production. 

Unless it's a Joe Grado HP1000 :)

Never gets old putting up these classic studio cans that have been a long time out of production

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
 Unless it's a Joe Grado HP1000 :)

Never gets old putting up these classic studio cans that have been a long time out of production

I really wish that john's headphone is as good looking as the old ones, i don't have complaint with the sound of my rs2s, but their build quality really annoys me. 

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 15
hello guys
sorry for the late an thank you
I have tought maybe to me better solution is 1 akg and 1 beyerndynamic :) ( ? )
I am all in your hands now I just one want open and one closed. Feel free to write your combo. even other brands if you like more.

ps: what is the difference between "OPEN and "Half-Open"?

THANK YOU masters!

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
hello guys
sorry for the late an thank you
I have tought maybe to me better solution is 1 akg and 1 beyerndynamic :) ( ? )
I am all in your hands now I just one want open and one closed. Feel free to write your combo. even other brands if you like more.

ps: what is the difference between "OPEN and "Half-Open"?

THANK YOU masters!

Semi-open phones such as K240 and dt880, their chamber is not entirely open like a 701 or dt990, yet is not closed like a d2000 or dt770. They are still ventilated letting some of the sound to pass through. Sometimes it is a matter of design preference, and some people suggest that they emit less sound to the outside than fully open cans and they are a bit better at blocking ambient noises. Well, I call the latter gibberish, they don't really work....
tongue.gif

.... and the "master" part
blink.gif
....eh....we've just been in this hobby slightly longer than you, and I'm sure everybody here is willing to help a fellow head-fier out, anytime. 
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
: - ) Thanks!

Guys.What do you think about this combo: Akg Q701 anf Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro (the ohm depending on the amp)

I like both--and they will complement one another.  They have very different sound signatures.  Clear/detailed/sound stage vs. Bright/fun/bunchy bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back