I-Tunes...I'm clueless...
Jan 3, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RacerX
Not true. I have seven computers at home and would like to play my iTunes purchases on all of them (2 win xp, 1 Windows Media Edition 2005, 2 Macs and 2 Ububtu Linux boxes - I know, I'm a geek). Well, I haven't really tried to get protected AAC files onto my linux boxen - but, still, it would be nice. I'm no music thief either.

rs1smile.gif

He said "normal" person. I don't think any of us are normal here.
orphsmile.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #17 of 20
(Sorry, I’m still so 1990’s….)

If I am not happy with I-Tunes 128 AAC bit rate for premium sound quality, and I do not want to pay a monthly fee (grrrr!!) at another download site, am I better off just buying used (like new) cd’s off Amazon for $6-10 and ripping them myself at whatever quality level I choose? I rarely download individual songs, always whole cd’s?

Jan 4, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #18 of 20
I'm not sure what others do, but what I've done is rip all of my CDs using Apple Lossless, and then convert them to a lower bitrate/format (usually 192 AAC). This way I have a backup of my CDs, plus I have smaller files to play on my iPod.

When I upgrade my headphones (ER-4Ps whenever the new black version comes out), I can reconvert my music to a higher bitrate without having to re-rip my CDs.

BTW, this only works if you have plenty of disk space on your computer.

Jan 4, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
(Sorry, I’m still so 1990’s….)

If I am not happy with I-Tunes 128 AAC bit rate for premium sound quality, and I do not want to pay a monthly fee (grrrr!!) at another download site, am I better off just buying used (like new) cd’s off Amazon for $6-10 and ripping them myself at whatever quality level I choose? I rarely download individual songs, always whole cd’s?

Thats exactly what I do. I'd also reccomend checking out yourmusic.com, about the only place you can get new cds for 6.00 including shipping. I've also been been very lucky with getting great prices on ebay, as low as 3.00 or 4.00 each for some older cds.

Jan 4, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n
Thats exactly what I do. I'd also reccomend checking out yourmusic.com, about the only place you can get new cds for 6.00 including shipping. I've also been been very lucky with getting great prices on ebay, as low as 3.00 or 4.00 each for some older cds.

Thanks for the advice... yourmusic.com looks interesting. Aside from that, do you know of any places online where one can buy obscure imports of, say, front 242? I have an unfortunate affinity for the hard-to-find stuff....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back