I tried the Beats By Dre...And I liked them!
Jul 9, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #16 of 43
If you have an apple store, they usually have these headphones out on display for you try. Just bring your DAP and portable amp if you wish and see how it fairs with your music library.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaquib /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coming from an HD 595 and Total BitHead Amp, I tried out the Beats By Dre at at a CanadaComputers store today, and I was pleasantly surprised. It was very well balanced, really nice highs, and what I loved the most: Extremely precise and detailed bass. The whole song just sounded clean.

Now, it was a display unit and you could only choose between 3 different songs. The whole experience just made me rethink what mostly everybody here says about the Beats By Dre.

Now I'm left with 1 of 2 options. Get the Beats By Dre or look at another pair with similarly satisfying sound (particularly bass). I'm seriously considering the Beats By Dre, but worry that I'm just paying for Dr. Dre' and Monster. But...they just sounded so darn good! What do you guys recommend doing?

I'd recommend a few things:

1) Please wait until the Shure line up comes out within these next couple of weeks, I have very high hopes for them although I haven't heard anything too definitive about the bass, but I would bet my left shoe (and that's the good one!) that it will give you a cleaner sound for a lesser price tag.

2) You're in 'Sauga so you should have access to a Long & McQuade; go there and try their DT770 Pro/250. It's a very fun headphone that myself and TubeStack both enjoyed thoroughly and it's excellent for kicking you into the world of headphone hifi madness if you're looking for some decent mids and bass. If you can find a L&M that will order the DT770 Consumer edition for you, that works too and they're apparently better, although it will push your budget to the $400 you were looking to spend on the Beats instead of the $215 that the DT770 Pros cost.

3) Donate your money to charity, because it's better than having it go into the pockets of Monster Cables and Dr. Dre!

4) Wait it out to try more headphones. If you can commute into Toronto, I've been told that Bay & Bloor Radio and Steve's Music have a good selection of headphones to try. Or heck, wait until the end of the month and I'll probably be selling my DT770s!

Whatever you choose to do, make sure that you've heard what most companies have to offer. If you're still feeling that the Beats fit your needs best, then that's fine as long as you enjoy them!

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? where? i thought 650s were going at 250 and 701s at 180-200

I got my HD650 here for $200 last week while there are two pairs of K701 that needs a minor repair going for $120 and $150 shipped respectively.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #22 of 43
Look, I haven't tried the Beats so I'm not going to rant about how group consensus tells me I should love them or hate them, but for $300-350 there are a ton of other options you can consider and I wouldn't be so hasty with deciding on them if your only frame of reference is a HD595. Also, while you may think they sound great unamped and a quality setup with a high end headphone that requires an amplifier will cost a lot more, consider than there's a good chance that whatever they had it wired to at the listening station was anything but an equivalent to straight out of PC/DAP. Not to mention $300 will already get you a HD580/600/650 or K601/701 or DT880 combined with a Zero DAC or equivalent amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? where? i thought 650s were going at 250 and 701s at 180-200

$350 might be pushing it a bit unless you get a great deal, but you can definitely find a HD580 for around $150 and a K701 for around $200. Both are more or less the going rate for each of the respective headphones.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my HD650 here for $200 last week while there are two pairs of K701 that needs a minor repair going for $120 and $150 shipped respectively.

those are exceptions, not the norm.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know Canadacomputers carry the M-Audio Q40, a bassy can which I was considering. I would give those a try if they have them in the store. I haven't tried the beats as of yet, I might actually like them in a way, since I tend to be bass-inclined, but the asking price, especially here in Canada, is a little on the high side for me. The Q40's will run about half that price ($140 or so).

I second that. I had my Q40 shipped from Canada Computers and I think they are awesome. Very detailed with a nice punchy bass. I am not sure how they would stack up against 300$+ headphones, but I think they sound amazing for the price. As far as I'm concerned, they put my ATH-AD700 to shame, which have a very good reputation here. I have to admit though that I am a bit of a bass head, so it isn't really fair for the AD700. :p

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

I got my HD650 here for $200

i hate you
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #26 of 43
I have the Beats and its always funny to hear people say these are "bass heavy". That alone tells me they don't know what they are talking about. People that say they are bass heavy either don't know what good headphones sound like or they are just regurgitating what other people have made up without actually having heard them. Yes the bass is definitely there, but its actually balanced. The headphones aren't perfect and you can find faults in them, but their bass is not one of the areas you can fault them in.

Also, one of the things people fail to mention about the Beats is that they are easy to drive. You don't need an amp like you would with something like the HD 650's. They are as portable as full size headphones go.

Pro's
  1. Easy to drive, no extra amp needed
  2. Great for portability with DAPS
  3. Comfortable
  4. Stylish
  5. Noise cancellation circuit does help reduce noise

Con's
  1. Needs batteries, definitely use recharables
  2. Noise cancellation circuit adds a slight hiss thats audible at low sound levels like classical music, not audible in things like rock though
  3. SUPER sensitive to electrical interference. You'll be ok when connected to a DAP but expected problems with integrated headphone jacks in laptops. I've read that this is a low impedance problem and that a shure headphone attentuator would solve this by adding a bit of resistance. I will try it later, but something to keep in mind.

Your 595's with your bithead already give you quality sound so don't let other people tell you what sounds good unless you can't test it first hand. In this case, you've tried the beats, trust your ears.

Are these overpriced? Yeah they are. But when I was looking for headphones I couldn't find any quality full-size headphones that looked stylish, were comfortable, and didn't need an amp to reach their potential.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #27 of 43
I have to disagree about the bass. I will not argue the fact that the bass is balanced or that there isn't enough but that is the problem. These headphone emphasize bass which may be perfect for the music genre and audience they're aimed at but not all songs are supposed to have extra bass. In those cases these cans would represent the song different then the artist intended. I say if you like the extra bass kick and like the hip hop/rap genre then these might be for you. But if you're going to listen to a wider variety of music then I would go using your $350 towards nice headphones with an amp.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntingtheholy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The beats are total crap. Only fools like them. I've not heard them.

The first two lines are fine, but then I saw the last line and I went "uh oh".

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

The first two lines are fine, but then I saw the last line and I went "uh oh".

What are you talking about? It was the best review I've read in awhile!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back