I tried something the other day...
Mar 4, 2007 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KyPeN

100+ Head-Fier
I had my RS2s in my backpack at work because I didn't have a chance to unpack before going to work the next day. Normally, I sit there and listen to my KSC-75s or super.fi's depending on if I'm in the office or in front of a server rack. Well, I had my RS2s that day, so I plugged them straight into my iPod.

It sounded...good. Damn good. Disappointingly good. Not in the iPod, but my DAC/Amp setup. I'd say it was probably about 90% - 95% of the sound of my 203.2 DAC --> Gilmore Lite setup.

Now, I see 3 possibilities:

1) I was imagining it, the Gilmore sounds light-years better, and I just haven't compared yet (iPod is out with the lady, so can't test).

2) I've been underestimating how good the iPod really sounds and it has one fine amp in it.

3) My Gilmore just isn't suited for Grados. But then again, I purchased it on recommendations from here.

I've compared the Gilmore to a Headfive and, at the same volume (no crossfeed), I couldn't differentiate between the two amps.

What do you guys think?

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 10
amp synnergy is a funny thing. There NO WAY my D335 should sound as good as it does.... But it does, when pushing my RS1. It makes absolutely no sense. The D335 is runs on 3V DC, so thats a mere -1.5V / +1.5V swing powering the headphone output.

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 10
Option 4) Amps are overrated? It's been going around here latey.
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 10
I was totaly amazed at how good my MSPs sound just using the headout on my 2g nano. Not nearly as open, full or expansive as plugged into my Dared MP-5. but very listenable.
rs1smile.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt fury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Option 4) Amps are overrated? It's been going around here latey.
biggrin.gif

I use old speaker amps (some call it "vintage") instead of headphone amps now. Much cheaper and better sounding than many headphone amps for my headphones, plus it lets me put speakers in the same location without buying any extra equipment.

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't take Fitz's advice. He doesn't even use headphone amps anymore!

Hahahahahaha.

Mar 4, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't take Fitz's advice. He doesn't even use headphone amps anymore!

You're not funny. I'm taking you out of my sig for that.

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use old speaker amps (some call it "vintage") instead of headphone amps now. Much cheaper and better sounding than many headphone amps for my headphones, plus it lets me put speakers in the same location without buying any extra equipment.

I'm just curious what speaker amp you use. I have a vintage luxman r-1050 that I use as a phono preamp and speaker amp. I find the headphone out to be pretty good but a bit noisey during quiet passages. However, the headroom on the headphone out is amazing. It removes the sennheiser veil better than any of my dedicated head-amps at about 2 of 10. I would not be surprised if one could drive a k-1000 from the headphone out. The only drawback is the noise during quiet passages. However, considering I paid $75 shipped and it sounds great as a speaker amp and phono preamp, it was definitely a better deal than any headamp I've bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back