I tried foamies on the ER-4P's, think I'll have to go back to tri-flanges......
Mar 8, 2008 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
Not because of sound quality or comfort, but the foamies are virtually impossible to remove. I plan to clean them, after about two weeks of regular use. I must say the filters never came close to seeing the earwax they did with the tri-flanges, though.

I have mixed feelings about both supplied tips.

I never had any issues with comfort with the flanges, isolations seemed a bit better with them, but the filter clogging is par for the course. The foamies were easy to adjust to, sound seemed a but better, no filter clogs. (the plastic sheathing is quite long and keeps that awful crud at bay)

I have been reading there are alternatives to both the flanges and foamies, I am open to suggestions. Is there an easier way to get the foamies on and off? I know my last 4P's had both stems crack, so I know how fragile these things can be......

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not because of sound quality or comfort, but the foamies are virtually impossible to remove. I plan to clean them, after about two weeks of regular use. I must say the filters never came close to seeing the earwax they did with the tri-flanges, though.

I have mixed feelings about both supplied tips.

I never had any issues with comfort with the flanges, isolations seemed a bit better with them, but the filter clogging is par for the course. The foamies were easy to adjust to, sound seemed a but better, no filter clogs. (the plastic sheathing is quite long and keeps that awful crud at bay)

I have been reading there are alternatives to both the flanges and foamies, I am open to suggestions. Is there an easier way to get the foamies on and off? I know my last 4P's had both stems crack, so I know how fragile these things can be......

Shure black foam tips aka "olives". But imo sq wise nothings comes close to stock tri-flanges.

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 28
Do they slide on easier than these foamies? If not, I'll just go back to the flanges. I am used to them.

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 28
You could get custom ear plugs. All you need then is a hot wire if your making your own.

I also remember when I got my first Etys that if you sent them a mold of your ear canal they would make a custom tip for you.

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Do they slide on easier than these foamies? If not, I'll just go back to the flanges. I am used to them.

Easier than tri-flanges.

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 28
Are you talking about these? Shure Canada

I had E2C's a few years ago, tried all the tips, didn't work out. Will these fit?

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 28
Those are the ones. I tried them on a pair of Ety's I had on loan but was a little freaked out when I took the phones out one of the tips stayed in one of my ears. I had to get my wife to take it out with tweezers.

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are the ones. I tried them on a pair of Ety's I had on loan but was a little freaked out when I took the phones out one of the tips stayed in one of my ears. I had to get my wife to take it out with tweezers.

That's unusual as they are not that loose, but I guess anything is possible if you shove them too deep.

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 28
OK, do they stay securely in there? I found these tips on the E2's were not seated very well, or that's how they felt.

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 28
I didn't think they were the best fit. And for what it's worth I didn't jam them in very deep either, they just didn't seem to fit very tightly. Mind you they were tips I had been using on the E500's and SA6's so maybe they were stretched a bit or something.

Mar 9, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #13 of 28
Those tips didn't work when I had the E2C's, so they probably won't with the Etys. I'll just live with the tri-flanges. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Those tips didn't work when I had the E2C's, so they probably won't with the Etys. I'll just live with the tri-flanges. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Shure has two types of sleeves:
- Fitting E2c, i2c, and QuietSpot
- Fitting E3c, E4c, E5c, E500PTH, i3c, and i4c models. These fit Ety ER-4 stem, but as you said don't work for E2c as they are not supposed to.

This is what you need for Ety Shure - Black Foam Sleeves for Earphones

Mar 9, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #15 of 28
It took me a while to come up with my best solution for ER 4P tips. I tried the ETY black foamies and yellow foamies but they were rough because of the large pores and also didn't seal as well because of those pores. And poor seal = weak bass. I preferred the fit, comfort, seal and sound of Shure yellow foamies but they compressed and no longer worked well after only a few uses. They are a little tighter than ETY tips and I was afraid of cracking the barrels of the phones. The are also too short for the ETYs and let wax get down the barrel and foul the filter quickly. The stock tri-flanges are too long for my ear canals and the first flanges is too small. So I cut the first flange off and used them as bi-flanges. That worked great but still let too much wax in. Finally I figured out that I could slide on the cutoff small flange first, then my bi-flange. Now I have good comfort, seal, sound, wax control, and am protecting the barrels from the stress of regular tip changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back