I Tried a ihp-140 for the First Time...
Aug 21, 2004 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wolfen68

Headphoneus Supremus
After hearing about the ihp-140 for several months, I had basically written the unit off due to other's complaints about sound quality.

Recently, a friend who is beginning some college coursework stated that a prerequisite for a class was to own a usb pen or some equivalent mass storage device to shuttle files to and from class. I joked that usb pens were old school...and that portable hard drives with plug and play compatibility and other functions such as music playback were the way to go (and I mentioned the Iriver).

Several days later my friend proudly displays his ihp-140 that he had ordered from Buydig (apparently the cheapest price at the time). I was stunned....but quickly took advantage of the opportunity to audition the ihp-140.

After hearing/reading so much conflicting information on the unit, I didn't know what to expect. We dropped some files from my Archos Jukebox Recorder 20 onto the ihp and I listened for about half an hour with my Ue5c's. Upon blind testing, I repetitively chose the Iriver as the preferred sound. In actuality, the sound is very close between the two units. The archos is slightly flatter while the Iriver has a slight extra punch. I did notice the boost in trebles and bass that others have commented on, however that sound signature did not bother me. I've also heard a 1G ipod, and by memory, the Iriver matches or almost matches it's quality of output.

We also tried the analog lineout into the line-in on my car stereo and this sounded dramatically better than the archos headphone out in this application. Clearer and much more energetic. I never tried the lineout with my headphones for comparison with the headphone out....

The EQ settings somewhat baffled me as they were not what I expected. "Bass Boost" and "Treble Boost" made me nervous so I set those at 0. I'm assuming this is the same as a normal or flat EQ.

What's the best setting to create the least altered output?...I couldn't figure that out during my short trial. Anybody aware of this, please chime in.

The controls are a little futzy, but workable. My friend spent two hours with the manual and seemed to have a lot of it down already (after one day). With his tutelage, I was doing basic stuff in 5 minutes.

The radio feature was less than impressive. It worked but provided weak reception to several stations that normally come in clear to the area.

Ultimately, I was impressed and ordered one for myself from Newegg (w/$20 rebate). Even though the Archos Recorder has lots of stuff going for it, mine is almost full and this unit has the makings of a worthy upgrade.

Aug 21, 2004 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

What's the best setting to create the least altered output?...I couldn't figure that out during my short trial. Anybody aware of this, please chime in.

Set the EQ to normal and this will give the flatest EQ the iHP is capable of.

When you were trying the radio was the remote plugged in? It acts as the aerial so no remote = no reception.

Aug 21, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 8
Recording quality on the iHP is decent, when using an external mic. Its quality obviously depends on the quality of the mic. As for using the internal mic...well, it's not as good, but the same could be said of any portable HD recorders.

Aug 21, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 8
see i got a 40gig ipod so i can justify spending another 300 for something that records like that plus i heard you have like no battery life when recoridng because the drive is constantly spinning

is a flash based iriver my best best

i don't need super long recording times but i d plan on recording in 320Kbps or wav

Aug 22, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by intlplby
see i got a 40gig ipod so i can justify spending another 300 for something that records like that plus i heard you have like no battery life when recoridng because the drive is constantly spinning

is a flash based iriver my best best

i don't need super long recording times but i d plan on recording in 320Kbps or wav

it does suck the batt life but i will say i have been able to record about 3 hours on a half charge (thats stoping and restarting the recording every hour or so) encodeing in 192 mp3 and would say you can get about that from a full charge recording to wav ...most likely even more then that (i haven't pushed the limits)

Aug 22, 2004 at 10:01 AM Post #8 of 8
The internal mic of the iHP is far above just "decent".
Sure you'r not gonna record you debut album with it, but I was shocked by how good it actually is. It's very sensitive and can peak up sounds from a surprisingly long range. The sound of the recording is loud, detailed and clear (in terms of unprofessional recording of course).
It's perfect for voice recording. I was recording lectures all the time with it, and no matter how far I sat from the lecturer, it never failed me.

As for the radio, I don't know where you live or under which conditions you tested it, but It works very well for me.
I'm getting a very sharp and clear reception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back