I took my dad's Grados to school...
Nov 8, 2001 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
This is gonna be a long, rambling post...

After doing the presentation on headphones in english, some kids have expressed interest in quality headphones, and one guy even said that it's worthless to pay so much money, since he can get good headphones for $50... I asked him which ones, expecting them to be either some pricey Koss, low end Grados, or Sony V6... He said he didn't know which ones they were, but he knew they were Sony, so I showed him the SonyStyle.com page selling headphones, and near the bottom of the "DJ" section, he pointed them out - the MDR-V300DJ!!! I handled it tactfully, and asked him to bring a pair to school, and I'd bring my dad's Grados, and we'd see if 'expensive' headphones were worth it...

Well, I didn't see him today, but I did bring the Grados and the amp. The first person to experience the Grado Sound was a rock-drummer type named Michael, and I told him to "Give these headphones a try..." on the bus. He swapped them with his earbuds, and hooked them up to his CDP. Very quiet sound, even though the volume was maxed. I hooked in the amp... Boom Boom Boom! I swear the whole bus could hear the music... Once he turned down the volume, he was pretty impressed...

Next victim was another rock drummer type named Lars, at the end of history class... We had difficulty prying them off his head when I had to go, he kept saying, "just one more minute, please?"
Then at lunch, I hear "Hey Eric! Get that amp thingy over here and let me try it again!" from Michael... This time several people get to audition them, all suitably impressed, and I let a slacker-type named Tristan wear them until English (we have english together, and at my school theft really isn't a problem).

I've since coined the phrase, "The Grado Sound - First Hit's Free..."

Nov 8, 2001 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 21
Just make sure Tristan doesn't kill himself when he realizes he doesn't have enough money to buy his own Isolde.
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2001 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 21
Must have been a nice experience for you... I've had a more neutral experience with my Grados... people do not really care or think I look strange (one friend called me an 'air traffic controller'...!)

Though my one good friend is quite impressed at my whole rig (he also thinks its a complete waste of money and thinks I should go buy $300 sunglasses like how he did
smily_headphones1.gif
)

It was also interesting when this one girl I liked (now that she is in college...) was putting on my ex70s... looked intimidating to her or something, the shape and the insertion...
rolleyes.gif

And another friend thought I was crazy for spending so much on my Etys, though didn't really attack me... another five friends were amazed at my rig... too bad they can't hear it since I only have etys (which will change very soon, hopefully)

Nov 8, 2001 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 21
Funny, everyone that's heard my AKGs revoked their claim that I was crazy for spending $120 on them. My mom is even going to see about ordering a pair for herself, she was so impressed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2001 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

chych said...

Must have been a nice experience for you... I've had a more neutral experience with my Grados... people do not really care or think I look strange (one friend called me an 'air traffic controller'...!)

The air-traffic controller bit is exactly what my roommate says when I wear my 580s.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 8, 2001 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 21
Fine job pulling out the esoteric reference, Dan.

As for letting people try my Grado's, they usually take them off and look at their own headphones with less enthusiasm. The most common reaction is "Damn!".

Nov 8, 2001 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 21
Heh, once I saw wearing my sennheisers on the bus, when some kid said,"you look gay, those things suck" Yup, and he was wearing one of those "street style" around the neck headphones.

EDIT
Why cant good sounding headphones look cool?

Nov 8, 2001 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 21
Heheheheh...

The few times when I brought my Beyers to school (I got DT-831's connected to my TA connected to my CT470), and I only brought them when we are on, like, a charter buss for a field trip, EVERYONE who put the damn things on was amazed... I had to watch them like a hawk!!

Must be the look of the things... my friends were like, "Woah! Now THOSE are some headphones!"

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2001 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 21
I get the same stares on the train (mind you i live in NYC where everyone is weird in appearance). Some people question it, like at work, so i let them try my 7506's and their eyes practically pop out of their head. However when they hear how much i spent ($115), they state they would never spend that much money on cans, but its ok to spend $115 on a tee shirt with some italian designers name on it, lol.

George
smily_headphones1.gif

PS. That headphone smile reminds me of my 7506's.

Nov 15, 2001 at 2:56 AM Post #14 of 21
LOL, i feel the same way about my kids (headphones that is!).

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back