I took a dive into records and vinyl
Oct 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wdahm519

500+ Head-Fier
Well, its been a bit since I got my turntable, and I just set up a brand new headshell and cartridge for it.  Its a brand new Audio Technica AT120E cartrdage and an LPGear headshell.  It sounds fantastic.  I used the Baerwald tonearm protractor to set it up well, and there is very, very little distortion.  It replaced the Numark CC-1 DJ cartridge that was on here before, and besides that cartridge not being set up properly (it can't be adjusted), it was just not very good for listening purposes.  I highly recommend the AT120E.

Here are some pics I took of it all set up:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/wdahm519/b8f7f244.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/wdahm519/9537dc6a.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone,

Its been a little while since I've last posted here but I just wanted to say that I've been convinced and intrigued by vinyl for a while now and I finally took a small plunge.  I found a used Technics SL 1300 turntable in almost mint condition (had the dustcover, uncracked too) with a Numark CC-1 catridge on it for $100 locally so I snagged it.

I'm picking up a low-grade phono preamp tomorrow locally as well just to get me started, but I hope I really begin to enjoy vinyl as much as I had hoped.

Post your thoughts, comments, what you did today, how you are feeling, etc. as you probably don't care too much about my vinyl experiences.

Oct 31, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 9
Good for you! I spent a good part of my Sunday listening to some of the vinyl bargains I found at the big WFMU record fair in NYC last weekend. Stuff that was never (and will likely never be) released on CD, iTunes or anywhere else. A shame, really. One has to wonder how much music is lost with each transition to a new and 'improved' technology...

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 9
I agree with kboe.  My brain knows that good digital is cleaner and more extended, but good analog just sounds more "real" to me.  Sort of the way a tube amp can make a recording seem more alive than SS.   Hey wdahm519, don't be put off if your new table does not sound up to snuff.  I would be wary of an old used cartridge.  There are plenty of affordable choices out there for replacing it if you need to.

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 9
I just inherited a couple hundred lps, mostly classical.  I decided to update my phono situation with a slightly used Music Hall mmf 5.1 paired with a Cambridge Audio 64OP preamp.  I'll spend the winter going through all this vinyl and decide which ones to keep.  I'm sure some of these recordings are 40+ years old and were played on old school bad players but I've played several lps that seem almost new.

With a nice 15" sub, these lps sound pretty good.

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 9
I'm starting on this journey too.  The only time I've heard a vinyl record was in a Magnolia AV store years ago, so I'm exciting to hear it at home in my own system.  My first turntable, a Rega P3, will be coming tomorrow.  I can't wait to see where this journey will take me. 

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 9
I've also become an amateur collector looking for niche vinyl LP's and CD's, even -- long live pocketbooks!  Anyways, There's something about the static sound coming from a turntable that gets me going.  I've tried to also sell some of my old singles that are included on my other LP's to save some space and make some money on gemm.com, if anyone's heard of it -- anyways, welcome to the vinyl community!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back