I thought I wanted HD580's - Now I need help!
May 21, 2007 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

islewind

500+ Head-Fier
First post, I've enjoyed this forum a lot, I've learned a lot but realize I have lots and lots left to learn.

The short version of my question: Over-the-ear phones may be just too uncomfortable for my hot head. Is there an on-the ear model that compares at all to the Senn 580?

The long version with all the background:

In my living room, I usually listen to speakers. I've recently realized the benefits to headphones while at my computer. I have a pair of PX-100's and Sony EX-71's that I have enjoyed quite a bit, and I've listened to Grado SR-80's at length in the past, and they were fun. I listen to all types of music, some electronic and rock, but a lot of Jazz, folk, and orchestral. I got a pair of Sony V-6's (primarily to to use when flying), and those have sounded great even straight from my iMac or iPod. I just ordered a bithead amp (not here yet) , as I've been fully convinced of the benefits of amplification. Reading what I have here, I fully expected the Senn 580/600/650 to be my ideal phone, as I like the idea of smoothness and laid-back sound. I figured a used or reconditoned pair of 580's would be perfect, and meet my price point of less than $150.

Juts this week, a friend has now loaned me his new HD-650's to use for a month. I know they need an amp to sound their best, and I'm not surprised that they don't sound so strong through the iPod. They actually sound surprisingly good driven by the iMac, definitely better than any of the other 'phones I mentioned by a good margin. I'm sure I will like the sound very much more once they are driven by a proper amp.

Here's the problem - they are supposed to be so amazingly comfortable, but I don't think so. They feel hot on my head, and put more pressure on my head than I'd like. I'd say the comfort is only slightly better for me than the V-6's, if at all, and then mostly due to the terry pad covering. So I'm seriously wondering if I can deal with the comfort of the 580's, even though I'm sure I'd love the sound. Maybe I'll get used to them, but I'd like comfort like the PX-100 - which felt great from the first minute. Perhaps this is not possible. Is there anything out there that you can recommend for an on-the-ear phone that sounds at all like the 580/600/650?

May 21, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 16
580s should clamp less than the 650s. If it is a problem, put them on a basketball and leave them there for a few days, keep doing that when they are not in use. In no time at all they will loosen up very well.

May 21, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 16
My HD580's took maybe a week of light listening to get enough clamp to be comfortable, initially it was a bit painful. But the velour pads are heavenly, and I haven't yet had a problem with a hot head or discomfort.

May 21, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 16
Well yes, it's true, bulkier headphones do take some getting use to, compared to the X100 for instance... Especially made more bearable initially if they are delivering a vastly interesting array of sonics for motivation, and this does take better amplification as you suspect....

But some, may be simply more sensitive to the comfort issue, like wearing a cumbersome Top Hat, or just even a baseball cap for some, perhaps.... But eventually, I think for most here, the contraption does eventually seemingly disapear, with only some few exceptions...

Give it some time, is my advice...

Best of luck~

Good luck~

May 21, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 16
football stretch mod works and with some tome they settle for your head. Then they are so comfortable so that you even don't know they are on your head.
My honest advice is for you to go at HD650 at once. Since you have tasted to flavor of 650 you will invariably upgrade loosing more money on the way. That is what I have done.

May 21, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 16
The sound is so good I don't even feel my head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously, good advice here.

GAD

May 21, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 16
Go get yourself some nice circumarual closed phones, and see how hot those are. The open phones will be wonderful in comparison.
smily_headphones1.gif

(I can wear my HD555's all day and my head does not overheat any more. Yay!)

May 21, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 16
Thanks so much for the thoughtful responses - I will stick it out and give myself some time to get used to the feel.

As far as going for the 650 at once, I undertstand what you're saying. I just wish I could spend the money right now. Fortunately, I still have almost a month to use this pair from my friend, hopefully in that time I can set aside some more cash and listen to some 580's for comparison. My local electronics supply store has 2 pairs of new 580's still, one demo and one in the box, at the original list of $259. Maybe they'll let me bring in the 650's and do a comparison.

May 21, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 16
As others have said, the HD600/HD580 are a little more comfortable than HD650 because of less clamping and a different headband pad. HD650 is my main headphone and one of my very favorites, and yet I also love the sound of Grado HF-1. It is the most laid-back of the Grados, and is the kind of Grado that Sennheiser lovers can often appreciate and enjoy. Just something to think about.

May 22, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #11 of 16
If you like the 650 sound just go with it to avoid the buy - sell - trade scenario you'll wind up in if you dont just get what you really want. Even if it takes a little longer to save up.

As far as the clamping pressure I didnt like it at all when I got mine. What I did was to bend out the metal piece that connects to the ear piece and slides into the top of the headband. I was very careful not to put any stress on the plastic piece in the center....

It made all the difference, they are now the most comfortable phones I've worn.
At least for me they are much more comfortable than my 701s.

May 23, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by slindeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 is my main headphone and one of my very favorites, and yet I also love the sound of Grado HF-1. It is the most laid-back of the Grados, and is the kind of Grado that Sennheiser lovers can often appreciate and enjoy.

See, that's what I was afraid of. I thought I knew at least a little about headphones, and the HF-1 gets mentioned. I had no idea whatsoever what that was, and I thought I had already studied the Grado line. Now, after I did the research, I am doubly humbled and blown away. First, because there are all these phones I've never heard about, second, that this very community has actually influenced the world of headphones enough for special products to be created for HF.

So I'm imagining the HF-1 is only available these days when a collector chooses to sell one?

May 23, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by islewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See, that's what I was afraid of. I thought I knew at least a little about headphones, and the HF-1 gets mentioned.

So I'm imagining the HF-1 is only available these days when a collector chooses to sell one?

Well, it can get worse. You could look into a different line of Grados' called "Alessandro."

That Alessandro MS2i sure goes well with my HD600, and the MS2i is still for sale and easily obtainable!

May 24, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
580s should clamp less than the 650s. If it is a problem, put them on a basketball and leave them there for a few days, keep doing that when they are not in use. In no time at all they will loosen up very well.

that's a great way to ruin the earpads prematurely if not careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back