I thought I had it right?
Jun 27, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #16 of 37
Off the top of my head, I'd say the albums i use to tweak my system for sound quality are Steely Dan's "Gaucho", Donald Fagan's "The Nightfly", Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus", Fiedler's Gaitie Parisienne (Living Stereo), and The Beatles "Rubber Soul" (mono). Each of these have different parts that help me balance different ranges of frequency response. I also use a wide range of other recordings from 78s to 45s and LPs to make sure the equalization works for more limited recordings too. My listening system doubles as a 5:1 AV sound system with my projector as well. I use Roy Orbison's "Black and White Night", Mehta's Valencia Ring cycle and various Mahler symphonies by Abbado to tweak that. It took me a couple of months to find the proper settings.

However, the better question would be "What sort of new music should I check out?" To answer that, I'd need to know what kind of music you currently listen to. There's a lot of incredible performances dating all the way back to the dawn of recorded sound that are so good, you forget how they're recorded. Music is what matters. It's the only really good reason to spend money on equipment.

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #17 of 37
Real men equalise with pink noise
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 37
Are there any superstar artists in the field of Flamenco or Tango. I know a bit about this music from the 30s and 40s, but I'm guessing there might be a standout or two from more recent times that I'm not aware of.

Offhand, looking at your interests, I'd say Cuban music would be a promising area to look into. Perez Prado, Tito Puente, Machito... There are late 50s recordings, including incredible sounding one's from the RCA Living Stereo series that would knock your socks off.

I'd also suggest the Brazillian Jazz Samba recordings by Stan Getz and Antonio Carlos Jobim.

For out of left field recommendations, Les Baxter and Martin Denny Exotica albums, Sonny Rollins Saxophone Collosus, Miles Davis Kind of Blue, Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section, Ray Charles, Louis Jordan, Louis Prima, the Supremes and Stevie Wonder. Bluegrass like Bela Fleck, Ralph Stanley and the Osbourne Brothers would probably make you happy too. That would be a good lead in to country music which is vast with riches.

Let me know if you'd like any specifics on any of this.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #20 of 37
Thanks bigshot! that's interesting.

Flamenco? try: Chambao's "Endorfinas en la mente" and / or "Pokito a Poko" albums, then Pedro Soler's "Barlande" album and then Bebo & Cígala's "Lágrimas Negras" and fly amigo...

Tango? give a shot to: Astor Piazzola's "Tango Hora Zero" and / or "New Tango" albums (considered best tango albums ever recorded) / Gotan Project's "La revancha del tango" for new electronic tango...

Coplas (from Spain): try Pasión Vega's album under her same name or "Pasión Vega en el Maestranza" (live album). Also, try: La Oreja de Van Gogh's "El viaje de Copperpot" and "Lo que te conté mientras te hacías la dormida" albums.

These, you cannot afford not to have in your collection. Give a try to this French site www.qobuz.com. They are the first website to offer 3 qualities with a very interesting variety 
smily_headphones1.gif

They have all these (except the tango ones) in real CD quality... actually, it's a super website, they have an extraordinary (quick) service if needed and patience too.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:
I am curious bigshot / Deep Funk: then, which would be your 5 or 10 top albums to hear great sound?

King Crimson - "Larks' Tongues in Aspic"
De Staat - "Wait For Evolution"
Norah Jones - "Feels Like Home"
Björk - "Post"
Charles Mingus - "Mingus Ah Um"

I prefer to keep it short for now. I have at least thirty albums on daily rotation so this is a small selection. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #22 of 37
Of all of those which one should I start with?

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #23 of 37
Thanks Deep Funk. I have N. Jones' and Ch. Mingus' albums, and you're right... they're just great. I'm really curious abour Björk.

bigshot, try Chambao's "Endorfinas en la mente" or Bebo & Cígala's "Làgrimas negras".

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #24 of 37
Done. Both for a ten spot at Amazon.

Here is my recommendation for you

http://www.amazon.ca/Nightfly-Donald-Fagen/dp/B000002KXV/

http://www.amazon.ca/Offenbach-Parisienne-Rossini-Respighi-Boutique-Fantasque/dp/B000003FKO/

Best sounding CDs I own.

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #25 of 37
Thanks bigshot, let me know what you think of them... Fagen's album sounds fantastic (just got it from Qobuz)... the bass... wow! in fact, I didn't know this jewel and I think it overpassed Steely Dan's Pretzel logic...

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #27 of 37

After spending money on 4 or 5 different " very good portable" models, around 2 years of trial and error, I finally got decent sound, much thanks to guidance in this forums. I finally went for the Sennheiser 25-1 II. It's sad to see that no really great portable headphones exist, but these are very good; not a consumer design (really a more professional design I'd say) and all plastic but very good sound without being "heaven" as some people say.

I used them with my loosless files (music) and Bithead portable amp. I hope someday soon, one company goes for the great headphones. Thanks for all this guidance.

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #28 of 37
Hello audiophile people, fair is fair and so I wanted to share that finally! today I found "heaven"... the final solution for me was to download FIDELIA for Mac and then... I couldn't believe my ears. Downturn? no EQ, but I can live with that...  no clipping, distortion of any kind, depth, clarity, good bass, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back