I think the t-amp is for me... few Q's though!
Nov 19, 2005 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mdameron

Head-Fier
I've spent awhile searching for answers... still have a few questions. I was going to order some promedia 2.1's, but apparently pc speakers are a no-no at head-fi
biggrin.gif

I have an old set of Sony bookshelf speakers... definitely full range. They have 2 or 3 speakers in them. (They're at home, I'm at the dorm, can't see them but in my head)(No matter what, this will definitely be better than my current labtec 2.1's :p)

Right now, I have a pair of ATH-A500's which I love, being driven directly by an X-Fi Xtreme Music (PERFECT setup for my needs... couldn't ask for better for the money). But I need something to let everyone else hear when I need to. I'm going to power these bookshelves with the T-Amp. I'll worry about impedance/efficiency and all that later, this will be temporary. I'll buy better speakers later.

So my 2 questions...

1) What power supply for it? I hate batteries, and loathe the thought of keeping batteries on hand. Portability is not a factor at all. BUT... I want to just plug it into the wall, and into the amp. I don't want to cut/slice/solder... is that even possible? AC and DC and all the mumbo jumbo really confuses me... adapters are a pain and run up the cost of the initial investement
biggrin.gif

2) HOW IN THE H*LL DO THESE HOOK UP TO A PC?!?! Dude seriously, I haven't seen that answered... quite surprised really. I'm such a n00b at PC audio (though car audio I can do).

In the end, I want my setup like this:

X-Fi --> ATH-A500's using speaker level output AND
X-Fi unamped output (is there one...?) --> T-Amp ---> bookshelves

Kinda wondering how to switch back and forth between them now that I made this post, but I can change wires if need-be. I'd like to just have a wire from the X-Fi and one from the wall... simple and neat.

All help is awesome!!! Ready to DO this!!!

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 15
bump...
frown.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 15
I don't know if the T-amp is the best choice for you.
I like the T-amp best when it is driving a single fullrange drivers in a bigger box. A muilt-driver speaker like the Sony you mentioned might not be the perfect fit. Also the T-amp needs some tweaks to make it sound good. If you just want a plug-in solution, you might be better off get some vintage receivers. Sometimes you can find a real bargain.

Nov 20, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 15
So how does everything hook up with a PC soundcard then? I have the 3 cd changer that the bookshelf speakers came with... would that work? It has standard audio/video RCA inputs and a video out for playing a video game console through it... but my x-fi doesn't have an rca output. Quite confused.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 15
That card has line level outputs, but they are the 1/8" mini-plugs common to low-end sound cards. Pity, since that is probably a very good sound card. They want you to buy the companion module, I suspect.

You need a Y cable with RCAs at one end and a single stereo mini at the other. It should work just fine with most gear.

I agree with J@ck, and old receiver or integrated amp could be a better powerplant for the speakers, and provide a decent headphone output to boot. My personal favorites for the $ are old NAD receivers. HK and Yamaha can also be found cheap. The Y cable will work for any of them.

gerG

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 15
Ok, I believe that's what I'm going to do, and just use my old speakers for the time being. I just need these pc speakers gone. :p

So most of those old recievers have RCA aux inputs? Any of them digital? Are there IC's that have RCA on one end and a 1/8" on the other? (the 1/8" is the smaller plug that most pc speakers use right???)

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 15
Ok, I found the cable I need... the Mini to RCA cable... Radioshack I go
biggrin.gif

I saw that my x-fi has a 'flexi-jack' which means it can either be a digital out or line in... Are there any cheap recievers (don't need bells and whistles) that have a digital auxilary input so I can use more features from this x-fi?
biggrin.gif

Any recommendations are awesome!!!

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 15
Good, RS is a good place to check. They have a relatively heavy one with a 90 degree mini on one end. Lots to choose from.

Digital receiver is tougher. Most older stuff will not have a digital input. Even if it does, the built in DAC and DSP will probably not be as good as your card. Better to get a good analog unit, then start thinking about a speaker upgrade. The bonus is that some of the older receivers were actually intended to drive headphones well.

gerG

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 15
Thanks a lot gerG! I'm looking at my x-fi's manual, and there doesn't seem to be a line-level analog output. There are three outputs and a line in/digital out. One of the three outputs is where you hook up unamped speakers or headphones. The other pictures show ALL three analog outputs to be used by 5.1 and up surround systems... which would mean that your PC speakers would be amping an amped signal... no bueno, right?

Wish I could show you what I'm talking about, afraid I've confused you. I'm not so good at explaining this kind of stuff :p

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 15
The T-amp comes with a 1/8" plug. Just unplug your headphone and plug in the t-amp. You'll be glad you did.
I run my old Klipsch Heresy's with one out off my laptop. I use the TBAA myself and this thing rocks.......I am amazed by the sound. Best bang for the buck there is.

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #11 of 15
i use a Tamp w/ some crappy pioneer bookshelfs; its virtues still shine threw - as well as the shortcommings of the bookshelfs - its still a fun experience tho and in stark contrast to my HD 580

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #12 of 15
I'm interested too. I wonder what kinda AC Adaptors are good for this. I hear you have to stay away from switching ones. 12V, 2A...

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

That card has line level outputs, but they are the 1/8" mini-plugs common to low-end sound cards. Pity, since that is probably a very good sound card. They want you to buy the companion module, I suspect.

Are there any disadvantages in using a miniplug to RCA instead of an RCA to RCA cable?

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 15
Hi mdameron.

I borrowed this from the Creative site:

Quote:

Connectivity

* FlexiJack (Performing a 3-in-1 function, Digital I/O1 / Line In / Microphone) via 3.50mm mini jack
* Line level out (Front / Rear / Side / Center / Subwoofer) via 3.50mm mini jacks
* AUX_IN line-level analog input via 4-pin Molex connector on card
* One AD_Link (26 pin) connector for linking to the X-Fi I/O Console (upgrade option)

1 Supports SPDIF Out compressed ac3 signal or PCM for Stereo Digital Speaker. Also supports SPDIF In with Creative Digital I/O Module (sold separately).

From that I concluded that one of the mini-plugs was a line out associated with "front". That is the one that you want. There are probably software settings to specify 2 channel full range output. Since it is all existing gear, nothing to lose by trying.

I should mention that I know absolutely nothing about the T-amp. I did, but I forgot
tongue.gif

Greetings Tachikoma.
From my personal experience, mini-plugs are a major compromise in sound quality and reliability when compared to RCA connectors. Mind you, I think that RCAs are pretty bad, but the mini-plug made things even worse. Its main advantage is space efficiency and simplicity. My rule of thumb is that anything with a mini-plug had better fit in my pocket and run on batteries. I will say that I have had less problems with them on headphones than on signal cables.

gerG

Jul 18, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #15 of 15
This thread is of great interest to me, mainly because i'm also running an X-Fi card and would be interested in settiing up a T-amp and a set of bookshelf speakers, possibly as a poweramp for this thing:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-preamp_e.html

Since i'm basically an idiot...

it IS possible to just go:

minijack lineout 1 from X-Fi -> input jack on the T-amp -> speakers

right?

also (waves hello to the HF forum)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back