I think my Ultrasone Pro 900 might be faulty
Apr 24, 2009 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

edu

New Head-Fier
Hi

Just bought an Ultrasone Pro 900 I am starting to believe there is something not quite right.

Initially I though it was the 6.5 to 3.5 adapter. Basically when I plug the adapter fully into the mp3 player, the headphone sounds very distorted and far away, and the mids and highs are completely gone. Pulling it out a bit it improves the audio, making the bass quite nice, and bringing back the mids and highs, but still, I am not convinced this is how they should really sound. It is quite hard to find the right depth when plugging in the adapter, as moving it a little bit down or up it either makes the audio completely silent or back to the distortion I mentioned above.

I have tried in my mp3 player (Sony NWZ-A829), in a friend's iPod, in my computer audio output and in a semi-hifi Onkyo, all using the Fiio E5 amp, and it them all having same issues.

I have tried with both cables provided with the Pro 900, and same issue. This is why I initially though it might have been the 6.5 to 3.5 adapter. I however received a new adapter from the seller today, and exactly the same issue. So the only explation is something wrong with the headphones.

Has anybody experienced similar issues? (I take not...)

How do Pro 900 sound with an iPod? I am wondering if this is something to do with impedance, but can't hardly believe, since they are 40 ohms.

Any help or suggestions most welcomed.
Eduard

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 19
Are you sure the cable is connected corretct? There was a post made here that explained how to make 100% sure to connect it correct and stated that this could be rather difficult.

Apr 25, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by burgunder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure the cable is connected corretct? There was a post made here that explained how to make 100% sure to connect it correct and stated that this could be rather difficult.

X2 push and screw all the way up....
beerchug.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 19
should be the connection to the end of your headphone if not some end jacks does sound weird, just twist the jack abit to get the full sound.

Apr 25, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 19
I had some kind of alike issue when i first listen to my new PRO900.For me it only happen with my Iphone though. I could'n rise the volume at a high level.On the 2 highest "level" of volume , the sound was hear like you said from far away fully distorted , weird, but all good with lower volume.Its like if the headphones was to new to handle such volume or something...... But it finally fixed up over time. Hope you'll find the problem soon so you can enjoy those awesome headphones !
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by burgunder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It is connected properly. I insert, push, and then twist it into the headphone. The cable is then attached to the headphone (i.e. if I pull it, it won't come out). I found the below link
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2821957-post2902.html

The interesting bit is that when I put the cable jack into the computer input fully, the audit sounds very distant. If I then pull it a bit out, it sounds ok.

Is there a logical explanation for this? Maybe some loose connection in the headphone or a cross wire somewhere? No idea.

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakooon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had some kind of alike issue when i first listen to my new PRO900.For me it only happen with my Iphone though. I could'n rise the volume at a high level.On the 2 highest "level" of volume , the sound was hear like you said from far away fully distorted , weird, but all good with lower volume.Its like if the headphones was to new to handle such volume or something...... But it finally fixed up over time. Hope you'll find the problem soon so you can enjoy those awesome headphones !
tongue.gif

How do they sound from your iPhone/iPod without an amp?
I want to rule out this is down to the source not being powerful enough to drive them.

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 19
My PRO 900 sound fine out of my iPod. Obviously not as good as they could do, but still very good. It's not the source thats the problem. If you're sure you've screwed the cable in properly then i'm not sure what to suggest. Just keep experiementing with it and if you still have no luck, send it back.

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 19
So ruling out the source, the adapter and the cable, pretty much only leaves something wrong with the headphones.

I will be sending them back. Bad luck I suppose.

Thanks for your input.

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 19
Sounds like the headphones may be producing audio out of phase. Just a guess though.

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #12 of 19
Yes, I think they are faulty.
I had the same problem with my K270.
So I opened them, and one wire was loose.

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 19
Sounds like the 3.5mm end of the adapter isn't seating properly in whatever headphone jack you're using. The distant sound happens if I don't have the jacks on my headphones seated flush with my icon mobile.

Apr 25, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like the 3.5mm end of the adapter isn't seating properly in whatever headphone jack you're using. The distant sound happens if I don't have the jacks on my headphones seated flush with my icon mobile.

Initially I though it was something wrong with the adapter, but then I got a replacement and exactly the same. A friend's headphone worked fine with same adapter and source. Personally I think the problem is inside the headphone.

In general terms, I don't really know how the audio signal is picked up by the plug and then transferred to the headphone driver through the cable. But somehow when the plug is fully inserted into the jack, most of the audio signal either gets lost or distorted before getting to the driver (mids and highs mainly), while if I pull it out a bit, the driver seems to be getting a better signal. I won't be opening them to find out whether it is a loose cable though
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by edu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do they sound from your iPhone/iPod without an amp?
I want to rule out this is down to the source not being powerful enough to drive them.

Like Krackatus said , i doudt this would be the source.Even if it was, it would only result in a very low volume.They sound good now with my Iphone , but you definitly ear a difference when amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back