I think my setup has gotten too good.
May 6, 2005 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dougmwpsu

100+ Head-Fier
Ever since I got a superdual to complement my ety er-4's I’ve hit upon a rather unexpected problem. The sound seems to be a little too good
etysmile.gif
Now laugh if you will, but my music is now so realistic that it's starting to distract me, even startle me. When I close my eyes, I find myself getting a little dizzy, especially with some of the more psychedelic albums I own. At night after everyone else has gone to bed I find myself jumping out of my chair when a particularly wide soundstage hits me. I find myself having to take a break every once in awhile; just to remind myself that it was just the Ety's making all the racket. Now I see you all start to snicker, but this is some seriously scary stuff!

Edit: I just reflexively yanked out my phones on a pavement album, this is getting ridiculous!! It's going to take forever to get that seal again...
mad.gif

May 6, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 6
OK, that's actually dangerous. Listening to excessively loud music can give you tinnitus and hearing loss - with a canalphone especially. When you get a hi-fi setup, the natural urge is to turn it up more and more simply because it all sounds so damn good. I would advise you to lower the volume. Conserving hearing is more important than enjoying music.

On the other hand, it's a good thing that you have a setup that you're happy with. Many people blow through thousands of dollars without ever achieving their perfect sound.

May 6, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm always careful to keep things at a safe listening level, my problem isn't the volume levels i listen at, it's deffinatly the "OMG What WAS THAT HUGE CRASH BEHIND ME?!?!?, THAT SOUNDED BLOODY REAL!!!1 " factor
basshead.gif

Quote:

Okay, I dare you to watch "The Ring" patched through your system, alone, on Friday night, with all the lights off.

Muaahahahaha, etc.

HA, I wouldn't be able to sleep for a week.

May 6, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 6
haha, i know what you mean doug. Now what's that Rush song with the breaking glass?

EDIT: Rush - YYZ .......nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back