I think my opamp is toast :)
Jan 15, 2004 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bcollier

New Head-Fier
When i first wired up my cmoy, the v+ and v- leads were wired to the wrong pins on the opamp. If you can imagine this, in tangent's very clear diagram (which being myself I managed to screw up anyways
biggrin.gif
) the v+ and v- wires connect to the opamp diagonally opposite to eachother. I had them hooked up diagonally opposite, but on the other diagonal. When i realized my mistake and corrected it, the opamp seems to be amplifying the signal, but the output it all distorted and crackling, with one channel a bit louder than the other.

Did i toast my opamp or should i be checking for something else wrong? I searched extensively and most other people report the opamp heating/smoking...... or failing to work at all.. THis is sort of... in between.

Any Ideas?

-Ben

Jan 15, 2004 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 2
Sometimes that sort of abuse merely weakens parts in the chip, rather than destroying the entire chip.

If you can swap another chip in temporarily, you'll answer your question. Go down to Radio Shack and get a TL082 if you don't have a spare chip on hand. Be sure to feed it at least 12V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back