I Think My Headphones are Broke.
Nov 4, 2018 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Slipknirvana

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of K712 Pro's that sound amazing in all aspects. I just recently bought a pair of HD598's that sound awful in comparison. The sound stage seems so small, when playing games footsteps in floor feels right on top of me as opposed to about the perfect distance.

Maybe I can upload a few sounds from my headphones somehow.

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 5
I have a pair of K712 Pro's that sound amazing in all aspects. I just recently bought a pair of HD598's that sound awful in comparison. The sound stage seems so small, when playing games footsteps in floor's above me feels right on top of me as opposed to about the perfect distance.

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 5
Never heard either although I have had an older HD555 for many years. From what I have read about AKG headphones they all seem to have wide soundstages. Headphones take time to sound their best (if you believe in burn-in (which I do)). Your ears and brain become finely attuned to a particular headphone if you regularly listen to it. Changing to another headphone means going through a period when it doesn't sound its best, this is of course exacerbated if the headphone is a new one. It may well be that the HD598 will not have as large a soundstage as the AKG 712 pro. Certain models of headphones do go through changes for some time others seem to have no variation from new. Give your HD598 a little time to loosen up and re-evaluate in a month or so. Given that it's rare two headphones ever sound the same due to all the different variables involved you'll likely prefer one. I didn't upgrade to the HD598 or HD558 from my HD555s simply because I am one of the few who prefer intimate (small) soundstages (unless a recording has a panoramic soundstage). This severely limits my choice in headphones.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 5
I have a pair of K712 Pro's that sound amazing in all aspects. I just recently bought a pair of HD598's that sound awful in comparison. The sound stage seems so small, when playing games footsteps in floor feels right on top of me as opposed to about the perfect distance.

I think you probably just prefer big soundstage. For gaming, the K712 looks great!

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 5
I totally forgot that this forum was run by Sennheiser. After using the HD598 more it starts to wear on you. The soundstage is starting to work for me, the imaging is also getting better.

Although after listening to some music, especially melodic, it sounded amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back