I think my HD 600's may have damaged drivers...
Mar 5, 2004 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

darkfusion

100+ Head-Fier
After reading this in another thread:

Quote:

I've noticed that too much volume too quick tend to make them sound crackly, or staticy on some music (particularly with lots of guitars).

I started to get worried...

I've noticed that my HD600's do this somtimes, however I burned them in for about 48 hours way below normal listening volume before burning them in at an average volume...
frown.gif

I was under the impression it was the recording or something, as I tested them with the 20-16,000khz sweep on rock-grotto.co.uk's headphone break in page and there wasn't a crackle at all.

Can anyone please confirm that this is a busted driver? I have no idea how it could be, I've never used them very loud...

Or maybe it's the source/recording/amp?
confused.gif

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 16
Make sure that you are getting a good connection at the plug end. Try them from a different jack if you can or wiggle the plug slightly. Worth a try.

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Make sure that you are getting a good connection at the plug end. Try them from a different jack if you can or wiggle the plug slightly. Worth a try.

Thanks for the advice John, I've just tried wiggling the plug around and it doesn't make any difference though
frown.gif

This problem isn't as present with my MDR-D66SL's, however sometimes it's still there a tiny bit but if it's a recording problem, could it be more pronounced in the HD 600's due to the fact they are very revealing?
confused.gif

I'm totally confused as to what the problem is and if my headphones are dodgey. Like I said I tried the frequency sweep test and it was fine, however it's still worrying.

I've also missed the 28 day money back guarantee by about 5 days, so I don't really want to send them into repair and waste time and money to find out they were fine and it was a problem with something else...

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 16
I often hear buzzes and hisses and hums and freak out about my equipment only to find out it's on the recording. Try with a bunch of different CD players and headphones and see if you can hear the buzz in the exact same places. If they stay consistent, it's on the recording.

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 16
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've noticed that too much volume too quick tend to make them sound crackly, or staticy on some music (particularly with lots of guitars).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats called clipping...

Biggie.

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 16
I think I've found a solution! [so]hai® has kindly allowed me to A/B his HD 600's with mine so I can determine if the problem lies within my headphones or something else
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 16
Clipping could be the amp.. the source... hard to say until you've experimented.

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 16
Its the recording itself.
rolleyes.gif

Biggie.

Mar 5, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Its the recording itself.
rolleyes.gif

Biggie.

Ok man, how could you have possibly narrowed it down the the CD itself with so little info?

Mar 5, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 16
Because my rig sounds better then yours.

Biggie.

Mar 5, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 16
You're an idiot.

[edit: mk, it looks meaner on the screen than it might sound in real life. I was only as serious as Biggie's post I was responding to...]

Mar 5, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
You're an idiot.

wow... that's not very nice...
eek.gif

However, i agreed with fiddler about the clipping... could be the amp, the source or anything else...
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 16
Mine do that on about a third of the recordings I have. Its more apparent with crappy pop recordings that are clipped (basically every single song nickelback has managed to squeeze onto a cd has horrible compression).

You'll find that lots of newer rock cds have this problem. It happens when there are distorted guitars and or a chorus. Its a result of compression which is so overdone that its causing clipping distortion all the way through the waveform at higher harmonic levels.

Thats just your HD600s doing their job and your ears are good
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 5, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #15 of 16
When an amp is asked to produce levels that exceed its design limits, clipping occurs.

Picture the levels of your amp as a *S* on its side or peaks and valleys with smooth rounding tops and bottoms, or a wave...just like a S on its side.

The rounding peaks represent the level just below the max capability of your amp. Now when you go past the that level the amp wants to take the peaks of the S higher but it cant. When this happens the amp cant not produce the higher output signal voltage so it just maintains its max output voltage until the input signal drops to a level that it can accurately reproduce. As a consequence the wave is flattened on the top and bottom.

It looks like this /-\ / a wave or mountain with the tops and bottoms chopped off instead of a nice *S* turned on its side.

When your amp clips it increases the power applied to the load which will over heat the voice coil on your speakers or headphones.

When an amp is driven into hard clipping which usually happens during musical peaks the power applied to the load can double.

Example.... You have a 350watt X 2 amp running in stereo 2 (8ohm speaker rated at 300watts program and 600watts peak power) Then you drive your amp into clipping, now your 350x2 amp is really putting out 700watts X 2 and you just BLEW your speakers.

CLIPPING CAUSES MORE BLOWN SPEAKERS THAN OVER EXERTION!!!!!!

Clipping causes very noticeable DISTORTION. Ever turn up your home stereo too much and the bass starts distorting?? Ever head a bass note sounding like its FARTING??? That not cause the speakers cant handle the power the amp is giving it (which is the most common misunderstanding) its because the amp is CLIPPING.

A Speaker being pushed too hard by an amp putting out too much CLEAN power sounds VERY DIFFERENT than a speaker that is getting a CLIPPED SIGNAL.

If you hear distortion or breaking up you are clipping.

Now, Darkfusion hasn't mentioned "distorted sound" so I would, personally, rule clipping out. I've never heard of a source "clipping" so that can be ruled out also.

Can you tell me at what position on the volume setting this occurs Darkfusion? if it makes the crackling sound at VERY low volumes as well as mid to high volume then it is not the amp going into clipping that's causing it.

Pinkie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back