I think my amp might be hurting my ears
Mar 26, 2007 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sum

100+ Head-Fier
For some reason when I have my headphones plugged into my Corda Aria, my ears hurt in a very short time. I used to have this problem with my Grado RS2s plugged into the amp, but I was fine otherwise. I've been noticing this primarily with my k701s lately. If I have my cans plugged into my Mini-DAC or Mackie big knob, I'm fine. This is at approximately the same volume level out of any device. I'm wondering if something is happening internally in the amp to cause some kind of frequency accentuation that it actually causing my ears to hurt. Anyone have any ideas or have a similar experience with a piece of gear?

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 6
Are you using crossfeed? Are you sure you are listening at the same volume levels? It is easy to turn up the volume on a very transparent amplifier, and not realize how loud you are listening, because there is very little distortion. Maybe the Corda Aria has more detailed treble in comparison to the other amplifiers you are using?

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using crossfeed? Are you sure you are listening at the same volume levels? It is easy to turn up the volume on a very transparent amplifier, and not realize how loud you are listening, because there is very little distortion. Maybe the Corda Aria has more detailed treble in comparison to the other amplifiers you are using?

I am using crossfeed. I'm pretty certain I'm very close in level. That is the first thing I thought too. The Aria is without a doubt very resolving and transparent.

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 6
I have that problem with treble boosted cans. Any can that boosts 5000-20000Hz over the midrange causes tinnitus in a short time. I have to be very careful listening my my A250. So I guess it would stand to reason that any amp that boosts treble would do the same. Thats for me though.

Your amp may be coloring the sound in an unfavorable manner

Mar 26, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 6
Get used to listening at a lower volume. I'm serious, it happened to be and that's what I did. Music doesn't have to be loud to sound good
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 6
Headphones can be very dangerous devices for your ears. Even more so than speakers, headphones can cause hearing damage. Over sensitivity to certain frequencies is one of the first signs of hearing damage. Figure out what it is you like about music at a louder level and try to figure out what is missing at lower levels. Some headphone amps cannot bring a headphone to life except at louder levels. This is something that should be resolved.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back