I think I've narrowed it down to these four headphones - What do you think?
Sep 3, 2012 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TheKirk

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

First of all - I'm not an audiophile, and I don't know much about headphones. Pretty much all I can rely on is reviews and my thoughts on the design. And the latter I think is quite important.
Great sound quality is nice too, though, but I don't really know what to look for, how to read graphs on sound output or even set an equalizer to suit my needs. So I'm not really very picky about this, unless of course, they sound terrible.

I need some portable headphones to use with my Samsung Galaxy S2 and sometimes my Asus Zenbook. I want somethink that looks and feels great and well built, but I don't want to pay a lot. I mainly use them while I'm walking, driving my bike, driving on the bus etc. Normal every-day use.

I've found some headphones that I'd like your opinion on. Some of them because I really like the design, some of them because of good reviews and some of them both. I hope you'll consider my choices and give me some feedback.
The price listed next to each headphone is the cheapest possible I've found including shipping to Denmark, and good bang per buck is of course always nice. :)
If you've got any experience with the headphones I list here, I'd really like your opinion. Also, if you think there are something else I should consider, I'm all ears.

#1 - Marshall Major Headphones ($84.34)

What I really like about these is the design. They look absolutely fantastic in my opinion. Only design flaw is that the earcups are kind of small, but the spiral cord, the gold finish and overall retro look is really something I think.
Some reviews give them a really hard time on the sound quality, though. I've got the impression that Tyll Hertsens from Innerfidelity.com is a very well regarded headphone expert, and he's certainly not a fan. Others call them decent or even excellent, though, and maybe that's enough for me.
I do think these are the best looking headphones I've found in my price range, so unless the sound quality really is rubbish, I might go for these.

#2 - Noontec Zoro ($94.12)

Noontec obviously got some design ideas from Beats, but according to every review I've read, the sound quality is actually (a lot) better. And they're way cheaper, too!
I like the design, and I like the fact that the cable is detachable. I also like that they go around the ear instead of on the ear, and I don't mind the fact that I'll be wearing some "cheap knockoffs".

#3 - Philips CitiScape Downtown ($104.35)

I really love the design on these ones, and the fact that they're on ear, it doesn't seem like they're uncomfortable. Also, I've heard that the sound is VERY well isolated.
The sound in general should be over the top too, and before mentioned Tyll Hertsens even put them on his Wall of Fame.

#4 - Philips CitiScape Uptown ($98.67)

For some reason the Uptowns are cheaper than the Downtowns in Denmark. It might be because of the fact that no Danish retailer seems to sell the Downtowns. But as far as I can tell, these are the best ones of the two. Or am I wrong?
I like the design on these ones too, and they seem to be very well built. And - They're over ear!

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Forget those "Marshall" phones--they exist for one reason--to make cash off the Marshall name. I've heard the Phillips Uptown and Downtown--and they're both good for the price point. I bought the Uptown to use for travelling and at work--it has a well-balanced sound, good construction (except for the cheap in-line volume control), and it's really comfortable. I find over the ear phones much more comfortable than on the ear, but the Downtowns are still pretty cushy if you like the style. The Zoro looks interesting, but knockoffs usually cut a bunch of corners. Maybe they're fine, but I'd bet on the Phillips as more durable.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 8
I can personally vouch for the Downtown.  Tyll can vouch for the Noontec...  The Noontec look to have a V-shape signature while the Downtown is very balanced.  The Uptown read to be a warmer sound.

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

It really is a shame with the Marshall Majors. I really like the design.

I don't know why I wrote that the Zoros are around-ear headphones, because they aren't, which is a con. However, I'm really a big fan of detachable cables, since I've experienced ruined headphones just because of loose wires.
Neither of the Philips have detachable wires though, and I'm starting to think that it's a must.

So, can somebody recommend a pair of really nice looking, fairly cheap headphones with detachable cables?

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

It really is a shame with the Marshall Majors. I really like the design.

I don't know why I wrote that the Zoros are around-ear headphones, because they aren't, which is a con. However, I'm really a big fan of detachable cables, since I've experienced ruined headphones just because of loose wires.
Neither of the Philips have detachable wires though, and I'm starting to think that it's a must.

So, can somebody recommend a pair of really nice looking, fairly cheap headphones with detachable cables?

The Downtown isn't over ear either...  It's closer to on-ear.  What is "fairly cheap" to you?

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 8
UPDATE:

I found the Marshall Majors in a store nearby where they offer a 14 day money back guarantee, so I decided to try them out.
I don't think they sound amazing, but I don't think they sound bad either. But my main concern about them is that they're really uncomfortable, so they're now officially out of question.

So, do anyone have some suggestions regarding my last question? $100-ish stylish headphones with removable cord - preferrably around-ear? 

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 8
Glad you got that out of your system.  :)  Removable cords aren't that common in lower-priced phones, so it may be hard to find something.  You might listen to the Sennheiser HD 439--it's a closed back headphone with a removable cable.  It's also very comfortable and has a nice design.  I listened to it at one store and it sounded very good, but it sounded bad at another store--not sure what to make of it.  It has a few fans on headfi and plenty of haters.  I wouldn't buy it without listening first.  The Phillips Uptown edges the Senns on sound quality with a better soundstage and more detailed mids.  The default reasonably priced cans are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's.  No removable cord, but (almost) everybody loves them. 

Quote:
UPDATE:

I found the Marshall Majors in a store nearby where they offer a 14 day money back guarantee, so I decided to try them out.
I don't think they sound amazing, but I don't think they sound bad either. But my main concern about them is that they're really uncomfortable, so they're now officially out of question.

So, do anyone have some suggestions regarding my last question? $100-ish stylish headphones with removable cord - preferrably around-ear? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back